changing from solo to twin share

Got a question hoping someone can help. My sister is on celebrity century October 10th cruise to the sth pacific but not computer savvy so I am asking here for her. She booked this at a very good rate as a solo. Today her friend has said she will be able to get the time off work and is interested in joining her. Does anyone know what the situation is, will she need to cancel and then rebook at the current rate? If that is the case it would not be worthwhile as she would have the cancellation fee and at the moment a twin is showing only $300 less than she booked for a solo. So all she would gain is the difference between $300 and the cancellation fee and the company of course.

I have advised her to call the TA but they were not open today, and ask for email reply so she would have in print whatever they tell her.

It definitely won't need to be cancelled. Assuming she paid double twin share originally which is usually the case, and that there is capacity which also shouldn't be an issue, there should only be extra 'taxes' to be paid for the cruiseline (and some TAs may charge change fees).

Just double check as there were some solo rates for Celebrity Century that were less than what it would cost for 2 person. If that the case then you probably need to pay whatever the price is at the moment for 2 person at that category.

And the solo rate might only include taxes and port fees for one person.

Edited by icat2000

Thought I would let you know for anyone else in the situation. I have just found an old 2011/2012 celebrity book and found in the fine print amongst all those pages that we never bother reading the following info.

It is possible to change a booking as long as it is more than 45 days prior to sailing however if it is within the 45 days then the booking needs to be cancelled and rebooked at the current rate. There is a $50 fee plus the extra taxes etc and maybe a small TA fee. So looks like my sister will probably have company on her cruise and have some $$$ saved for her next one. It took her a while to take her first cruise but now she's addicted like we all are.

Thought I would let you know for anyone else in the situation. I have just found an old 2011/2012 celebrity book and found in the fine print amongst all those pages that we never bother reading the following info.

It is possible to change a booking as long as it is more than 45 days prior to sailing however if it is within the 45 days then the booking needs to be cancelled and rebooked at the current rate. There is a $50 fee plus the extra taxes etc and maybe a small TA fee. So looks like my sister will probably have company on her cruise and have some $$$ saved for her next one. It took her a while to take her first cruise but now she's addicted like we all are.

Need to check if that still currently applies as cruiselines change their terms and conditions all the time. What do the terms and conditions say on the site?

Did she book with the cruiseline direct?

are you sure its 75 days and not 45 days because final payment would be due at 75 days and if you cancelled out after then the cancellation fees would kick in and it would be quite a bit...... wouldnt pay anyone to cancel out and rebook

Thought I would post the outcome of my sisters situation re changing from solo to twin.

Her TA gave the price of just over $1900 extra for her friend to join her in the cabin, giving celebrity the total of $3400 for the 2 people in an inside cabin. My sister has already paid almost $1500 yes she got it at a great price, so virtually paying for 2 people, plus tax and tips for 1 person. If her friend had taken her own cabin it was only an extra $80.

So in the end they are having a solo cabin each at an overall extra cost of $80 for her friend.

Total rip off but if they can do it they will. She phoned to check the info given in the email reply (always ask for things in writing) and yes that is the situation.

My sister is not worrying about it so I will put it to rest, but warning anyone out there should they be in a similar situation in the future. They are still more than 2 months from sailing.

Edited by Tara Jane

I think thats a better outcome. They got a cabin each. The $1500 your sister paid for her cabin is a great price. So her friend also got a good deal as well. Do you have to add the grats on top of that price or is it included in the fare.

Anyway, I'm sure they have a great cruise. I'm assuming this is on Celebrity Century?

Thanks for getting back to let us know the outcome. Some of the things in cruise pricing are a mystery and it was good that they asked for all options to compare prices. Many people presume you get extra people in a cabin for only a little more, but in fact it is often better economy and comfort to get more cabins. It just depends on the current promotions sometimes. If you suggest it would be better value to the cruiseline to do something else they have no ability to use common sense. What is in the system is what they have to work with on the day. Specials that have happened in the past are often worth hanging onto as any booking change comes in at new pricing these days.

yes it was the celebrity century and yes it is the all inclusive price of room, taxes and tips. I have friends also on the same cruise - shared my sisters bargain with them so they booked the same day, they are paying $1900 for the 2 of them all inclusive so it was a super great deal.

Sister and friends haven't met but as their cabins are only a few rooms apart, I am sure it wont take too long.