Cruising with extended family

lharry

Do you make any specific plans when traveling with other families? We will be eating dinner together, but anything else? The other two families are both first time cruisers. Should we try to plan excursions together? Should we organize a family slot pull?

Also, we will board first (platinum), so should we try to meet them in the lobby when they board? Or let them walk around on their own for a while?

Stupid questions, I know, but I'm a planner. I like to have everything in order so I know exactly what's going to happen.

I've done this a few times. For excursions I just had informal discussions to get a sense of what people wanted to do. I then tried to find something to accommodate as many as possible. No one was strong armed to participate.

We did all have dinner together. Other than that, nothing specific was planned. It worked for us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

I recently cruised with family members who were first timers.

I just sent them links about things to do at the ports and we all decided what to do together.

Most of the time we ate dinner together, but it wasn't planned. It was more like "hey, we're going to eat. Wanna go?"

Basically, we each did our own thing. I figured they paid for the cruise, they could do what they wanted. If they had questions about anything, they asked.

Let the 1st timers discover things on their own....it's a better experience for them, and more memorable!

I think dinner together is fine...if, and that's a big IF, everyone want's to do the same thing, fine....but I wouldn't forced the issue! Not everyone wants to vacation the same way!

Do you make any specific plans when traveling with other families? We will be eating dinner together, but anything else? The other two families are both first time cruisers. Should we try to plan excursions together? Should we organize a family slot pull?

Also, we will board first (platinum), so should we try to meet them in the lobby when they board? Or let them walk around on their own for a while?

Stupid questions, I know, but I'm a planner. I like to have everything in order so I know exactly what's going to happen.

I Cruise sometimes with my Niece and her Family..........

Our last Cruise together was on the Dream,,I am a new Diamond

they are Gold..........I got on first..........I waited for them...

We all went to my cabin dropped carryons............

Went to the Lido for lunch.............

We had some meals together.....And some of the shows.......

I think I would walk around the Ship with the new Cruisers........

Point out important areas.............Help them learn the Ship...

We always ate breakfast on the Lido deck around the same time of day. Everyone tended to migrate to one area so we could check in with each other if we wanted. Usually one member of each group managed to check in, but often the whole group drifted past one another. Some went on tours together. Planning took place at dinner. Works very well allowing everyone their own space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Smiling Cruiser

Half of my cruises have been with family or close family friends. The first couple of cruises I considered myself a newbie, and just went with the flow. Now, I do most of the cruise planning, booking, excursions, etc. This cruise most are Platinum, Gold, and a new cruisers. I try to give everyone enough information so that they are knowledgeable about the ship and ports, so they can do their own thing, or have their own time (i.e. me time!!) which is often needed, even on a family vacation!!! Onboard we eat breakfast and dinner together (through linked bookings for dinner, so we sit at the same table, etc). Onboard we often go our own way doing what we want during the day, but seem to always end back up in our group, or with others we meet onboard. In the evening its dinner and nighttime activities together. After dinner activities are usually not planned, but we end up doing the same thing together. For excursions, we see beforehand if there's anything special anyone wants to do and we go from there. We usually wing in at the ports, and get an excursions once off the ship, unless its a port where a ship excursion is recommended. This weekend I reached out to everyone, and the consensus was to wait until we get in port, not really to plan anything. This cruise is about relaxation, so it'll be mostly shopping, beaches, and hanging out around the port at the restaurants, bars, or exploring closer to the ship. Hope this helps, and enjoy your cruise.

Next June I, DE, DS, MIL, FIL SIL, niece, another niece and her husband, as well as nieces MIL and FIL are going to Alaska. I've always been the planner for our trips and thus far is the case on this trip. I have looked at a lot of excursions and when I select one for my immediate family I inform the others. Not so much to force them to go with us but just so they will know what we are doing and if they want to come along they are welcome. If they choose to do other activities, that is fine as well.

BTW I knew we would have dinner at least together, so I am planning to "spotlight" each couple or individual each night to recognize anniversaries, graduations, birthdays, etc. Every person will have a one of these within a month before or after the cruise so I thought it would be fun to have small table declarations for each evening. With 11 of us, I would think we would have a table to ourselves so this would not be a problem

T-shirts make it easier to spot each other. If the group goes shopping and someone wants to step into one store while the others go into another store it helps to spot the others quicker. I would go over some of the tours that you think they might be interested in. If they express an interest in something you would like to do then I would go together. I don't think that either group should feel like they always have to go together. That will feel like a burden. Let them also go out and explore themselves.

If everyone gets on board the ship early I would let them do their own exploring, but point out certain locations of interest. Not sure about Carnival, but a lot of ships have the deck plans/layout paper at customer relations. I would try to get them one. I heard they can run out so I would get it for them as soon as you get on board. Also, sail away might be of interest to them to do as a group.