Bad first impression

cd4lsu

Come on guys.

We (Carnival cruisers) always hear how Carnival sucks, it's the Walmart of cruising etc. Come over to Royal, pay more money and experience the WOW factor.

Well, this cruiser came over to Royal and is not experiencing the WOW factor. He is describing his current experience.

What happens? The alleged more upscale Loyal Royals jump down his throat and make excuses.

The Loyal Royal behavior on these boards is as bad as the Carnival Cheerleaders.

Another reason for me to believe that these two cruiselines are more alike than different.

It's pretty sad, however, that the typical worst stereotype of those who cruise came from the OP. Bring me to the buffet. Let the gluttony begin. :)

However, I do understand the disappointment of waiting in any line on vacation. For the OP's sake, I hope they got past their initial impression and things got cleared up on the ship. If not, many they are one family among the many who prefer Carnival. For grabbing food, deck burgers & dogs, and pizza, Carnival delivers.

I have seen some people have success in gaining access to the Windjammer early when they roll themselves up into the fetal position on the floor in front of the closed doors, put their thumb in their mouth, and scream at the top of their lungs " give me, give me, give me...I want, I want, I want".......

......Oh wait......that was on a Carnival cruise......never mind......:D:cool:

I am wide-eyed in awe and admiration of your brilliance. ( I would have said "speechless", but when I do, people call me a liar. ;) )

That is absolutely one of the best descriptive sentences I have ever read. :)

Thanks you. (along with a few others)

Sadly, saying what needs to be said here will eventually get me banned. Someone on another site that I am on said that here at (other website) that you are not judged by the color (along with sex, nationality, ect..) of your skin, rather you are judged by its thickness.

Considering that the OP has not been back, I hope that they will be able to get enough nourishment over the next week to make up for their nearly missed meal to post again.

I have seen some people have success in gaining access to the Windjammer early when they roll themselves up into the fetal position on the floor in front of the closed doors, put their thumb in their mouth, and scream at the top of their lungs " give me, give me, give me...I want, I want, I want".......

......Oh wait......that was on a Carnival cruise......never mind......:D:cool:

Or the day before the local FSA gets money into their EBT cards at the local grocery store.

Come on guys.

We (Carnival cruisers) always hear how Carnival sucks, it's the Walmart of cruising etc. Come over to Royal, pay more money and experience the WOW factor.

Well, this cruiser came over to Royal and is not experiencing the WOW factor. He is describing his current experience.

What happens? The alleged more upscale Loyal Royals jump down his throat and make excuses.

The Loyal Royal behavior on these boards is as bad as the Carnival Cheerleaders.

Another reason for me to believe that these two cruiselines are more alike than different.

It's very noble of you to come to the defense of another Carnival cruiser...I interpreted the original post differently. What I read was a post designed to do nothing but rile up people on the RCI board.

Lest you or anyone else think I'm a "cheerleader" I've cruised 5 different lines, and there are things I liked and disliked about all of them. I can tell you that even on the ship I liked the least, the furthest thing from my mind within an hour of boarding was starting a thread on Cruise Critic about how unimpressed I was. I guess maybe I was just happy to be on vacation and knew there were dozens of places to explore and things to do if I encountered something closed, crowded, or not to my liking.

It kind of makes me sad that's my interpretation, but the trend on all social media these days seems to be stay quiet when things work as intended, but the second there's a problem, blast it all over the internet. Perhaps if the poster had something of a track record of posting balanced comments on Cruise Critic I'd feel differently, but as it is I saw the post as just another effort to stir the pot and get a reaction.

We've encountered a line going into WJ (mainly at breakfast) on previous cruises & immediately turned around. With all the food options we go explore. But to each their own.....

We also eat either a late breakfast or early lunch prior to boarding. For us, the food isn't the reason to cruise. We have a nice lunch, a cocktail and chat about our vaca in front of us.

It's the most fun meal!!!!

And I agree, attitude is EVERYTHING. It's a vacation! Go with the flow. Hey, my DH packed ALL my clothes the last nite of a cruise. I had NOTHING in the a.m. Had decided to sleep au natural to pack jammies. Listening to my DH and father in law going down the hall asking for close was priceless!!! I knew I wouldn't walk off naked. Or at least hopes!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by brenderlou

It's very noble of you to come to the defense of another Carnival cruiser...I interpreted the original post differently. What I read was a post designed to do nothing but rile up people on the RCI board.

Lest you or anyone else think I'm a "cheerleader" I've cruised 5 different lines, and there are things I liked and disliked about all of them. I can tell you that even on the ship I liked the least, the furthest thing from my mind within an hour of boarding was starting a thread on Cruise Critic about how unimpressed I was. I guess maybe I was just happy to be on vacation and knew there were dozens of places to explore and things to do if I encountered something closed, crowded, or not to my liking.

It kind of makes me sad that's my interpretation, but the trend on all social media these days seems to be stay quiet when things work as intended, but the second there's a problem, blast it all over the internet. Perhaps if the poster had something of a track record of posting balanced comments on Cruise Critic I'd feel differently, but as it is I saw the post as just another effort to stir the pot and get a reaction.

I agree...well said.

I think it was someone who boarded with the expectation that the WJ would be open based on historic data, was hungry and disappointed when it wasn't, and was frustrated by the lack of communication by the ship either as to the reason for the delay or for alternate dining venue suggestions. Keep in mind that you don't get the info about all the restaurants which may be open until you get into your cabin, which hadn't happened yet. My experience with check in was that we were directed to the Windjammer for lunch as soon as we boarded, and never told of alternate restaurants.

Not everyone is a RC expert, and I think some people perhaps think a bit highly of themselves to think that the OP was actually trying to rile people up as opposed to simply expressing frustration.

I can tell you that even on the ship I liked the least, the furthest thing from my mind within an hour of boarding was starting a thread on Cruise Critic about how unimpressed I was.

Cindy, you're awesome...and as usual I agree 100% with your comments.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who doesn't even think about Cruise Critic when I'm on a cruise.

Just got off NOS yesterday, and the WJ breakfast was being closed and rushed up earlier than usual. So I suspect an inspection or repair type turnaround day instead of business as usual.

Also saw that about 40+ crew got off with full luggage, so assuming contract rotations are occurring.

The OP is MIA.
Hate to state the obvious, but why anyone would stand in line for over an hour at the windjammer when boarding to wait for "food" is IMHO not very smart! Let's see, you could find out from the crew what time the WJ opened, maybe explore the ship for bit. Maybe just maybe look at the signage be it either the electronic signage or the sign in front of the windjammer that tells you when it will be open. It's your first cruise on RC, maybe, just maybe become familiar with where yor stateroom is, your seating in the MDR, etc etc....:)....K.O.

I think what's most amazing is that the OP hasn't been back since starting this thread about a ridiculous complaint, but there have been 97 posts keeping it alive.............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I should know better!....:)

We had a similar delay last August on the Freedom but it was not due to a medical emergency, it was because the ship was having an inspection. No venue that served food or drink could serve anything until the inspection was completed.

Do you remember that? The lines were a mess and so incredibly crowded. I had never seen it that bad and the inspection was the reason.

Hope the OP can overcome this little hiccup and enjoy their cruise.

I should know better!....:)

Yeah me too. But it is fascinating that peole have kept this thread alive for 100 posts. I know I've kept it alive too, but not in actually trying to respond to the original absurd complaint like most people:D

I think it was someone who boarded with the expectation that the WJ would be open based on historic data, was hungry and disappointed when it wasn't, and was frustrated by the lack of communication by the ship either as to the reason for the delay or for alternate dining venue suggestions. Keep in mind that you don't get the info about all the restaurants which may be open until you get into your cabin, which hadn't happened yet. My experience with check in was that we were directed to the Windjammer for lunch as soon as we boarded, and never told of alternate restaurants.

Not everyone is a RC expert, and I think some people perhaps think a bit highly of themselves to think that the OP was actually trying to rile people up as opposed to simply expressing frustration.

When I checked in for the Navigator I was handed a boarding day Compass to cover the early hours on the ship before cabins are ready.

As for your other remark, I assume I'm the person or one of the people you're referring to, and I just don't know what to say.:confused: I call it like I see it, and I'm sorry if you mistook my opinion for an over-inflated sense of self-worth.

Edited by Cindy

But to express their frustration on the RCL board leads me to believe that they just wanted to stir up trouble...that they haven't reposted seems to verify it - if they wanted sympathy, they should have posted on the Carnival boards....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I checked in for the Navigator I was handed a boarding day Compass to cover the early hours on the ship before cabins are ready.

As for your other remark, I assume I'm the person or one of the people you're referring to, and I just don't know what to say.:confused: I call it like I see it, and I'm sorry if you mistook my opinion for an over-inflated sense of self-worth.

Don't mind him. He's still holding holding a grudge from his 1 RCI cruise 9 years ago. If WJ times weren't provided when boarding his 1 cruise, that means they never were and still aren't. ;)