Cruise Travel Insurance or NOT?

catbro

Would appreciate "knowledgable" input on whether it is worth adding cruise travel insurance and coverage in this specific situation. I can't figure out what is covered and how with all the legal bs. Please help.

Booking a cruise for son and friend who are both 2nd year medical residents in very demanding/extremely over-worked inner-city hospitals. Cruise embarkation is Miami with WC itinerary departing early October, so prime hurricane season. They will fly to FLL the day before departure. Total cost of prepaid, non-refundable cruise plus airfare is about $1400 pp. You may not think its much, but its a big chunk out of a resident's take home pay with big city living expenses.

Their need is to cover out of pocket expenses if a hurricane or other weather problem prevents them from arriving in time (air) to make the cruise at the listed embarkation port or if the embarkation port is changed due to weather and they cannot change flight plans without expensive air changes. Have absolutely no value for medical coverage, preexisting condition fees for insurance. They just need to not lose $ and get nothing in return, rebooked cruise, flight etc.

I understand cruises are never cancelled, just delayed or interrupted and as long as they can get on board at the embarkation point, they would be thrilled to get 7 consecutive days of rest instead of their typical 90+ hour work week.

If you are very knowledgeable about cruise insurance coverage I would greatly appreciate your thoughtful reply to this post. They work longer hours for less pay than migrant workers 20 years ago and are saddled with incredible student loan debt. So PLEASE do NOT reply to this post that the vacation price is not high as it is to THEM.

Thanks for your help in advance.

...Their need is to cover out of pocket expenses if a hurricane or other weather problem prevents them from arriving in time (air) to make the cruise at the listed embarkation port or if the embarkation port is changed due to weather and they cannot change flight plans without expensive air changes. Have absolutely no value for medical coverage, preexisting condition fees for insurance. They just need to not lose $ and get nothing in return, rebooked cruise, flight etc.

I understand cruises are never cancelled, just delayed or interrupted....

Short Answer: Even if they have insurance it likely will not cover all out of pocket expenses, although it could soften the blow. This sort of coverage is generally limited to ~$200 per day.

Please read this link about weather delay coverages:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-bad-weather-and-natural-disaster-coverage/

For about $57 each, they could purchase a Travelguard Gold policy or for about $61 each, they could purchase a Travelsafe Classic policy. You can read each policy to get the details about trip interruption or delay coverage. There are many other plans available. Nothing covers everything as stated above.

I know you said this was not an issue for them, but no one thinks they will get sick or injured on a cruise, yet on every cruise this happens. That would be a bigger concern for me, as very few cruises are cancelled because of weather; they just sail out of the storm.

Personally, I would not consider traveling outside the country without insurance. I have used it several times and it's saved me far more then I've ever paid in premiums.

Hope they have a good cruise whatever they decide; sounds as if they need it.

Edited by 6rugrats

Please call Steve (or one of the others) at

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them, don't just try to read through the massive online info about various insurers or specific policies.

Discuss what you (actually, your son and friend) are concerned about, and Steve will help you find the most reasonable policy for those needs/desires/concerns.

We have many friends and colleagues who have gone through those grueling few years, and if your son and his friend can get away to enjoy a cruise for a week, they'll probably feel more refreshed than they can imagine right now!

GeezerCouple

The biggest exposure they have is if either becomes sick or injured while out of the country unless their usual hospital medical insurance covers them internationally. Those could be far higher bills than the price of their cruise. Many health policies that used to cover outside country no longer do.

Edited by sail7seas

Please call Steve (or one of the others) at

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them, don't just try to read through the massive online info about various insurers or specific policies.

Discuss what you (actually, your son and friend) are concerned about, and Steve will help you find the most reasonable policy for those needs/desires/concerns.

We have many friends and colleagues who have gone through those grueling few years, and if your son and his friend can get away to enjoy a cruise for a week, they'll probably feel more refreshed than they can imagine right now!

GeezerCouple

Totally agree with Geezer Couple, call Steve or one of his associates at Tripinsurancestore......they will definitely work with you to get the best policy for your particular needs.

I would not dream of taking a cruise without insurance! These days, I can afford to lose the cost of the cruise, but for $69 per person, I don't have to. That was my cost for two weeks, a t about $2700 per person. It also means that if we slip and fall, which can happen to anyone at any age, our medical expenses will be covered.

Just make sure you get primary rather than secondary Healthcare coverage.