Diabetic needs

AZCAMM

Hi,

My brother-n-law and my sister are coming with us on a 7 day cruise to Mexico. This will be their very first cruise...our 8th. My brother in law is a diabetic and will need to have

a sharps disposal container. Does he bring his own travel sized container aboard on Embarkation day or is he required to obtain one from the Infirmary? Also, what about

in the event he needs to empty out the sharps container if it gets too full...I assume he will need to visit the Infirmary for that also.

Any help will be appreciated and thank you.

I simply ask my cabin "Stewart" for a sharps container and he brings me one; he also replaces it when the original gets full. Very handy and accommodating. On Princess, at least, they're bright yellow, and I'm sure they're kept separate with other medical waste to be destroyed (incinerated), separately.

I'm sure to bring along an additional bottle of insulin, an extra pkg, or 2, of syringes, as well as an extra bottle of Metformin. These extra are generally not needed, but rather they're along for just in case.

Edited by Treven

I don't know about other lines but on Royal Caribbean just call the special needs dept and they will have the sharps box in the cabin when you arrive..........or your travel agent can do this for you. Also they have small medication fridges if you need that.

Hi,

My brother-n-law and my sister are coming with us on a 7 day cruise to Mexico. This will be their very first cruise...our 8th. My brother in law is a diabetic and will need to have

a sharps disposal container. Does he bring his own travel sized container aboard on Embarkation day or is he required to obtain one from the Infirmary? Also, what about

in the event he needs to empty out the sharps container if it gets too full...I assume he will need to visit the Infirmary for that also.

Any help will be appreciated and thank you.

I have simply asked the room steward any time I have traveled on Carnival..no problem. They will also remove it for you when it is full and replace with another one - they are not very big containers. The fridges are really fully functional fridges, but cool enough for your insulin to be safely stored...if he is uncomfortable with that, they will store it for him. I do take a small ice pack to put in my bag if we go ashore to keep my pen cooler if \I plan on needing insulin when ashore... If you ask the steward to keep an ice bucket full at all time, you can keep a small ice back in the bucket of ice. I have always found the cruise lines to be very helpful...just ask. Of course you can get all sorts of healthy foods and sugar free treats as well.

Enjoy and have fun.

I've heard they're usually pretty quick and enthusiastic with providing sharps containers when requested, so I wouldn't worry.

The alternative is people disposing of sharps in trash cans, etc. which they want to avoid at all costs, so it's definitely in their interest to provide readily accessible sharps disposal arrangements.

When I am travelling with my diabetic uncle we take our own sharps but they will supply them if you ask the steward

Also we take a cooler bag for the drugs when boarding and use fridge I. Cabin

Make sure you have a fridge in cabin you select

Uptake a letter from the doctor to cover drugs you have

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another to keep in mind is that if there is not a mini-fridge or cooler bag available, that MOST insulins can be stored at room temperature for 28 days once they have been opened. All of the insulins I have used (70/30, R, Humalog/Novolog) all state they are ok for 28 days once opened, however there may be some insulins that are not ok. I always keep mine at room temp once opened, but refrigerated while still sealed. I use a pump and use of one generally requires a stable insulin - besides, injecting cold insulin is painful!

If you're on an older ship that does not have a refrigerator in your cabin, ask your room steward for one and they will bring one for you. Or better yet contact special needs and there will be one in your cabin when you arrive. And keep ice in it too. Some ice buckets don't fit so bring smaller container or zip locks for ice.

Edited by Bonnie J.