Review of Seranade OTS Mediterranean Venice Cruise

Welcome to my short review of our cruise. I hope that you will find this review informative and helpful while you plan your Mediterranean cruise. Please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try to provide further information. I also have all the Cruise Compasses.

Our Cruise

This was a 12-night Western Mediterranean and Venice cruise that sailed on July 22, 2014. We disembarked from Barcelona, Spain, and visited the following ports: Cannes, France; La Spezia, Italy; Civitavecchia, Italy; Salerno, Italy; Venice, Italy; Ravenna, Italy; and Kotor, Montenegro.

About Us

Myself and my husband, in our 30s, from San Antonio, TX. We cruised with our married friends, also in their 30s, from Phoenix, AZ. We’ve all cruised with RC previously.

Our Stateroom

An E2 balcony on deck 8, forward, port side of ship. We had a connecting stateroom with our friends.

Dining

We ate at Park Café or Windjammer Café for breakfast and lunch. On disembarkation day, we ate breakfast in the MDR. For dinner, we ate in the MDR 6:30pm seating, except for one night we ate at Chef’s Table and two nights while in Venice.

The Weather

Many people ask, “Just how hot was it in the Mediterranean during the summer?” Now that I’ve experienced it, I can honestly say that the answer to this is subjective. Objectively, the temperature was between 75 and 85 degrees during the day. About ¼ of the days were overcast for at least half the day and there was some light rain 3 of the days. Now for the subjective part. Similar to other women, I tend to get chilled easily and prefer warmer weather. I also live in south central Texas. For me, the weather was beautiful and a few days (like during the tour of the Vatican without air conditioning during the height of tourist season) was a little sticky. Then there were a couple evenings that I’d step out on the windy balcony while we were cruising and quickly stepped back inside the stateroom to put on a RC robe before going out again. The weather outside my front door today is definitely hotter and more humid. My husband, who sweats just thinking about the sunshine, thought that it was pretty warm. He also brought along an Enduracool Towel and used nearly every day and thought it made a difference. Our friends from Phoenix couldn’t get over the humidity. She told me that, because of all the moisture in the air, she hadn’t needed to use any body lotion to moisturize her skin.

Pre-cruise Day 1: Barcelona, Spain

We arrived at BCN at 8:45am. After clearing customs and claiming our luggage, we got a taxi to our hotel. We stayed at Hotel Indigo, which is close to Pl. Catalunya and close to the Passeig de Gracia metro station. Since our hotel room wasn’t ready, we went to a nearby café, Il Caffe Di Francesco, for breakfast. Knowing that we wouldn’t sleep well on the airplane, we purposely planned for this day to be uneventful. We returned to the hotel and settled in. The guys took a short nap and us girls went to the hotel pool. That evening, we went to dinner at Picadero Restaurant Brasserie and walked down Las Ramblas, stopping for a nightcap.

Pre-cruise Day 2: Barcelona, Spain

We walked to La Sagrada Familia. When we arrived, the line to get in wrapped around 2 sides of the church. Fortunately, a couple months prior, we purchased tickets online for an audio tour and a tour of the Passion Façade. We skipped the queue and walked right in. The audio tour explained a lot of the symbolism that I would have overlooked otherwise. Some of the location numbers were difficult to find, but I eventually found all but one of them. We then toured the Passion Façade. No large bags or backpacks were allowed and my husband had to put his in a locker, which cost a few Euro. We took the elevator up and walked down the stairs. There is an option to take the elevator back down, if needed. We walked down the steep, narrow, winding staircase and, when we reached the bottom, the muscles in our legs were screaming. The walk down the stairs was a quadriceps workout; I couldn’t imagine having to walk up all those stairs. We then walked back to our hotel. After freshening up, we headed for Las Ramblas. My husband enjoys cooking (and, fortunately for me, is very good at it), so he was excited to experience La Boqueria. We bought a few small items and consumed them while walking through the market. We ate dinner at Genove 1911 that evening.

Cruise Day 1: Barcelona, Spain

We took a cab from the hotel to the cruise port. It cost 27 euros and we arrived at about 11:30am. Check in was quick and efficient. When we booked the cruise a year ago, for financial benefits, we arranged for the girls to be in one room and the guys to be in another room. At the pier, we checked in this way. Once we were aboard the ship, we went to the Guest Relations Desk. My husband asked for an extra key to his room and our female friend asked for an extra key to her room. After walking away from the desk, they swapped extra keys. Now the couples each had a key to the appropriate room. A helpful bonus: the extra room keys had written on them “Extra Key”. The whole process was much simpler than we thought it would be. We ate lunch at the Windjammer and explored the ship until our stateroom was ready. Once it was, we unpacked, relaxed, and went to dinner in the MDR.

Cruise Day 2: Cannes, France – DIY

We knew that the next three days would be long and intense, so we planned for an easy day. We tendered to Cannes. We walked to Marche Forville (The Forville Market) and purchased a few items. We walked to Le Sequet. We stopped for a snack along the way and, at the summit, viewed the shoreline from Notre-Dame De L’Esperance. We then moseyed along the streets and stopped at La Creperie for an apple-filled crepe. We walked back to the cruise port and took the tender back to the ship. We spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool. Of note, the building at the cruise port is air conditioned and has free wifi.

Cruise Day 3: La Spezia, Italy – RC Excursion LL12 Cinque Terre

The first half of the day was raining lightly. The Path of Love is still closed.

Our tour started in Manarola, where we were given some free time. We sought shelter from the rain and went to a café, Bar Enrica. We then took photos around town. We boarded a boat that took us to the next town, Vernazza. We again had free time and found a gelato shop, Gelateria Stalin. We got back on the boat and went to Monterossa al Mare. After a short tour of old town, we used our free time to eat lunch at Ristorante Belvedere. We ordered pesto bruschetta and anchovies for an appetizer. I ate penne pasta with red sauce and scampi. The shrimp melted in my mouth as if it had been caught that morning. My husband ate veal with mushrooms. The restaurant had a nice view of the sea. We met up with our tour guide and went to a short wine tasting before walking to new town. We boarded the train here, took it to Levanto and met the motor coach, which took us back to the ship. That night, we dined at the Chef’s Table.

Cruise Day 4: Civitavecchia, Italy – DIY

Our plan was to walk from the ship to the train station instead of taking the RC shuttle there. However, there is a lot of construction at the port between these two points. We ended up taking the RC shuttle to a bus station and paid 0.80 euro to take the orange bus to the train station. Once at the train station, we walked inside the snack shop/newspaper stand and purchase a BIRG ticket for 10.30 euro. We took the train to Roma S. Pietro and walked to the Vatican from there. Pre-cruise, we purchased a guided tour through the Vatican website. We again skipped the very long queue and walked right in. Our 3-hour tour took us through the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter’s Basilica. We purchased and mailed postcards from Vatican City. During our planning, we wanted to visit other sites, such as the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, but after reading (and seeing photos) of the recently started renovations, we decided to forego those visits. After a quick lunch, we boarded the train back to Civitavecchia. Here’s the best story of our cruise: While at one of the Vatican Souvenir shops, I purchased a small bottle of holy water. The nun there said, “It’s 2 euro.” I handed her a 20 euro bill and she said, “Oh, I don’t have change. Do you have anything smaller?” I replied that I had a 1 euro coin and this 20 euro bill. She said, “That’s okay, I’ll sell it to you for 1 euro.” I said, “Really? Thank you.” As I fished through my change purse for the 1 euro coin, she said, “Just say a prayer for us.” I found more euro coins that I realized I had, so I paid her the 2 euro AND said a prayer later that day.

Cruise Day 5: Salerno, Italy – RC Tour ES13 Mt. Vesuvius & Pompeii Hike

Part 1: Mt Vesuvius

After a short visit to a Cameo Factory, we ascended by motor coach up Mt. Vesuvius. The motor coach took us up ¾ of the volcano and we walked up the remaining ¼. The path is made of gravel and stones and about a 30-degree incline. Hiking shoes or sneakers are a must and slow and steady wins the race. As we climbed the volcano, the weather was overcast and it began to sprinkle – we were thankful for this! Once we reached the peak, we met a Mt. Vesuvius Guide, who provided information about the volcano. There are snack shops, port-a-potties, and souvenir shops in the area that the motor coach drops you off and there are souvenir shops at the summit of the volcano.

Part 2: Pompeii

Upon arriving in Pompeii, we were given free time for lunch. There are many souvenir shops in the area and a large restaurant with food to go. We both had a slice of Neapolitan pizza. There is a shop behind the restaurant that sells limoncello. There is a WC upstairs that costs 0.50 euro. I love ruins and enjoyed our Pompeii tour and wished we could have spent more time there. However, a couple scoops of gelato made me feel better.

Cruise Day 6: Cruising

Finally, we had a day to sleep in and relax by the pool.

Cruise Day 7: Venice, Italy – DIY

DH and I had been to Venice previously, but we were looking forward to going back again! We were scheduled to arrive at 3pm and entered the lagoon at about 1pm. We watched the sail into Venice from an upper deck and docked on time. We followed the red signs to the People Mover and paid 1.30 euro (it’s gone up in price!) to take it to Piazzale Roma. We meandered through the streets and across the footbridges, stopping in various shops and for a gelato, until we reached the Rialto Bridge. On our way back to the ship, we stopped for dinner at Al Campanile da Massimo. We each ordered a pizza and then swapped slices. I also ordered a dessert, Torta della Nonna. Note: RC was offering a roundtrip water shuttle between the cruise port and St. Mark’s Square. Per person, it was $28 for one day and $50 for two days.

Cruise Day 8: Venice, Italy – DIY

Again, we took the People Mover to Piazzale Roma where we purchased a 12-hour Vaparetto Pass for 18 euro. I asked for a vaparetto route map, but it cost 3 euro, so I declined. We took the vaparetto to St. Mark’s Square. Prior to the cruise, I read that if you check your larger bags, then you’ll be able to skip the line. We did just that. We checked our larger bags, were told that they would be held up to an hour, and were given a claim ticket. This claim ticket was also used to skip the very long line that stretched nearly to the canal. We walked through St. Mark’s Basilica. (Note: if you decide to stand in the long line with your large bag, then you will be told to check it once you reach the entrance. This happened to us on our first visit to Venice four years ago…live and learn, right?) We stopped at a café along the canal before boarding a vaparetto bound for Burano. The ride there with a transfer at Fondamente Nova was about 90 minutes. Pre-cruise, we made a reservation at Il Gatto Nero Restaurant. DH saw this restaurant on a TV show and wanted to try the risotto. That is just what we did: risotto for two, sea bass, tiramisu, and a bottle of wine. DH commented that the fish was the best that he had ever eaten and the waiter humbly replied, “It tastes better only because you are in Venice.” We walked around Burano, bought some lace, and returned to the Vaparetto, which took us back to Piazzale Roma and the People Mover.

Cruise Day 9: Ravenna, Italy – DIY

Royal Caribbean provided a roundtrip shuttle for $20 per person (another increase in price!) from the port to Ravenna. It dropped us off near the train station. Walking this distance would not have been possible, due to the distance, the amount of time it would take, and the infrastructure. In Ravenna, we did the walking tour that Rick Steves had suggested in his book. During the walking tour, we made a stop at Il ****onale, located in the Piazza del Popolo. It was here that I realized that the entire town had wifi. After the walking tour, we stopped at a small shop for a local favorite: Piadinas. We walked back to the shuttle and took it back to the port.

Cruise Day 10: Kotor, Montenegro

Originally, we planned to take the tender boat ashore, walk up the Fortress of St. John, and then spend time shopping, eating, and relaxing in town. However, the tendering process was very slow and we soon realized that we were going to be spending more time waiting for our tender number to be called than time in port. We made the decision to spend the day onboard at the pool instead.

Cruise Day 11: Cruising

Cruise Day 12: Cruising

Disembarkation Day: Barcelona, Spain

We were scheduled to arrive in port at 6am and the first group (self-disembarkation) walked off the ship at 6:35am. We ate breakfast in MDR and then waited in the C&A Society area on deck 5 of the dining room. We departed at 7:25am, picked up our luggage, and waited in line for a cab to the airport. The fare was 38 euro and we were at BCN by 8:15am for our 10:45am flight back to the USA. [/size]

Edited by cruisePAC

Cruise Day 7: Venice, Italy – DIY

Note: RC was offering a roundtrip water shuttle between the cruise port and St. Mark’s Square. Per person, it was $28 for one day and $50 for two days.

Cruise Day 10: Kotor, Montenegro

Originally, we planned to take the tender boat ashore, walk up the Fortress of St. John, and then spend time shopping, eating, and relaxing in town. However, the tendering process was very slow and we soon realized that we were going to be spending more time waiting for our tender number to be called than time in port. We made the decision to spend the day onboard at the pool instead. [/size]

Thank you very much for this very informative review!:D

I'll be on Serenade in Sept, and I'm most interested in your opinion regarding the following.

Venice: You mentioned the RCL water transportation directly to St. Mark's square. Is this right at the port or somewhere around Piazalle Roma after the People Mover? First day I wish to walk Venice... the second morning after the overnight, I wish to purchase the ticket in order to get to ST. Mark's for an early pre-planned excursion. Where does RCL sell those tickets? When does that transportation begin in the morning?

Kotor: I have read mixed reviews about the tendering process. Do you feel there is time to do both a short 4 hour excursion AND climb up to the fortress if you are one of the first tenders off? On our trip, our arrival is 7am. RCL calls for a group excursion for 4 hours, 8:30am-12:30pm. Do I have time in the afternoon to climb up the hill for the afternoon or is that cutting things too close regarding getting the last tenders back onto the ship (4pm)?

Venice: You mentioned the RCL water transportation directly to St. Mark's square. Is this right at the port or somewhere around Piazalle Roma after the People Mover? First day I wish to walk Venice... the second morning after the overnight, I wish to purchase the ticket in order to get to ST. Mark's for an early pre-planned excursion. Where does RCL sell those tickets? When does that transportation begin in the morning?

I'm sure the OP (and/or others) will chime in on this, but this is what we did as far as getting from the ship into Venice:

Day 1 - Exited the ship, got on the free shuttle bus to the port entrance, took the people mover 1 stop. Then, we just started walking around Venice.

Day 2 - Same as above, but since we had an early tour at the Doge's Palace, we didn't want to have to rush there on foot. Nor did we want to pay for the RCCL water taxi. When we exited the people mover, we turned left (towards the water). A short distance away we found both a self-service tkt kiosk and a manned booth for the public water buses. We purchased a 1-way vaporetto ticket from the booth for 7E (I believe the cost is the same whether you get it inside or at the kiosk). We followed the directions we were given to get to the "bus"stop for Rte #2 (express route). Basically, it's just a short walk to the left of the ticket booth. The stop is clearly marked as #2 and we took this express bus to St Mark's Square (about 25 min). Note - Rt #1 goes the same way, but has more stops... takes about 45 min.

If you were able to navigate the trains in Rome, then you can definitely handle the public vaporetto's in Venice and save yourself some cash (if this is important to you.... some folks like the convenience of the ship's transportation and I can understand that).

The vaporetto we quite crowded, but only for a short while. Whatever you do, do not get on without a ticket (and be sure to validate your ticket first). There was a conductor on board who was checking for tickets and fining people without them (or whose tkt wasn't validated)

Have a wonderful trip!

Melissa

Edited by kirian

Thank you very much for this very informative review!:D

I'll be on Serenade in Sept, and I'm most interested in your opinion regarding the following.

Kotor: I have read mixed reviews about the tendering process. Do you feel there is time to do both a short 4 hour excursion AND climb up to the fortress if you are one of the first tenders off? On our trip, our arrival is 7am. RCL calls for a group excursion for 4 hours, 8:30am-12:30pm. Do I have time in the afternoon to climb up the hill for the afternoon or is that cutting things too close regarding getting the last tenders back onto the ship (4pm)?

Regarding Venice, this is what the cruise compass states:

"Venice Water Shuttle

Serenade of the Seas will be docked in gorgeous Venice. Be sure to catch a water shuttle from the cruise terminal to the area close to St. Mark's Square, (walking distance is approximately 1 hour). Shuttles run from 3:30pm - 10:00pm today and 8:00am - 6:00pm tomorrow. Purchase your tickets from Shore Excursions, Deck 4. Shuttle boat tickets should be purchased in advance with your SeaPass card through Shore Excursions or Guest Services, Deck 4, or from the convenience of your stateroom through RCTV. $50 for a 2 day pass and $28 for a 1 day pass."

We were in Venice beginning at 3pm on day 1 and departed at 7pm on day 2.

We were docked behind another ship, so we were at the end of the dock. There was a shuttle bus that ran between the ship and the beginning of the dock (you could also walk this in 5 min). It dropped you off at the beginning of the dock where you'd get on the RC water shuttle. No need to use the People Mover to Piazzale Roma.

Regarding Kotor, I can't give an honest opinion of it, since we never left the ship. I would suggest asking your question on the European ports board. I know there are people there who know Kotor well and can give you an accurate answer.

Enjoy your cruise. These ports are awesome!

It took us 1.5 hours to climb to the fortress via the Mule trail, and maybe 45 mins down via the regular "stairs" trail. We weren't rushed and took lots of pictures each way. Speaking to others, no one seemed to make the hike up in under 1 hour though. Definitely worthwhile if you have the time!

I'm sure the OP (and/or others) will chime in on this, but this is what we did as far as getting from the ship into Venice:

Day 1 - Exited the ship, got on the free shuttle bus to the port entrance, took the people mover 1 stop. Then, we just started walking around Venice.

Day 2 - Same as above, but since we had an early tour at the Doge's Palace,

Have a wonderful trip!

Melissa

Thx to all of you for your responses...

Kirian, great minds think alike! lol. Those are my plans exactly, walk through Venice on my own the entire first afternoon and early evening (I've done so before so no problem at all), and take the Secret Doge Palace tour early the next morning. $28US return on RCL water taxi compared to approx $13 US 1 way (Vaporetto & people mover) with the convenience of getting me there early my be worth it for me, no big deal. Reading your current review... you're going to finish it next February at the rate you're going!!! :eek::p

Thank you for your Kotor thoughts Jacquelyn. I likely won't bother with the mule trail... I'm relatively fit so I figure 1 hour up and 45min down with pics. And it looks like it's not a long walk to the tender from the base of the trail. Could you comment on that? So let's say I arrive back from my RCL excursion at the tender area as 12:30pm... do you feel that it's reasonable for me to do the climb and be back at the tender by 3pm?

Thx to all of you for your responses...

Kirian, great minds think alike! lol. Those are my plans exactly, walk through Venice on my own the entire first afternoon and early evening (I've done so before so no problem at all), and take the Secret Doge Palace tour early the next morning. $28US return on RCL water taxi compared to approx $13 US 1 way (Vaporetto & people mover) with the convenience of getting me there early my be worth it for me, no big deal. Reading your current review... you're going to finish it next February at the rate you're going!!! :eek::p

LOL! February if we are lucky! I am seriously hoping to be done by THIS Thanksgiving (at the rate I'm going), but Feb 2015 might be when I actually finish my review at this rate....haha! :eek::D:cool:

Melissa

Nice short review. We were on the same cruise, and had a ball. We travelled with 2 other families, and were 10 in all. All aspects of our trip were absolutely perfect. Ship's crew were exceptional, and I would recommend this trip to all!

Thank you for your Kotor thoughts Jacquelyn. I likely won't bother with the mule trail... I'm relatively fit so I figure 1 hour up and 45min down with pics. And it looks like it's not a long walk to the tender from the base of the trail. Could you comment on that? So let's say I arrive back from my RCL excursion at the tender area as 12:30pm... do you feel that it's reasonable for me to do the climb and be back at the tender by 3pm?

I think it is certainly doable to hike up, take pix along the way and at the top and hike down is 2.5 hours. You may be hungry after your tour at 12:30, so factor in some time for lunch (or grab a quick snack as we usually do!). This goes without saying, but be sure to wear appropriate footwear and bring a bottle of water. A woman was bemoaning the fact that she could not climb to the top as she was wearing sandals.

It is not a long walk at all from the base of the trail to the tender area, maybe 10 minutes. The streets are winding and a bit confusing, but it isn't a huge town and not *that* many places to get lost ;)

One more thing - If you have time, likely on the way down, climb through the rampart window and stroll to see the church in ruins. It is great to see, and really, just off the main path. It is probably a 2 minute walk from the window to the church, and it was fun to climb through the window :D . For more info and a "map", see Post #17 in THIS THREAD

Edited by Host Jacquelyn
typo

Nice short review. We were on the same cruise, and had a ball. We travelled with 2 other families, and were 10 in all. All aspects of our trip were absolutely perfect. Ship's crew were exceptional, and I would recommend this trip to all!

I agree! The ports were spectacular and I wish we could have spent twice the amount of time in each one. The ship's crew were great. We really enjoyed this cruise.

I think it is certainly doable to hike up, take pix along the way and at the top and hike down is 2.5 hours. You may be hungry after your tour at 12:30, so factor in some time for lunch (or grab a quick snack as we usually do!). This goes without saying, but be sure to wear appropriate footwear and bring a bottle of water. A woman was bemoaning the fact that she could not climb to the top as she was wearing sandals.

It is not a long walk at all from the base of the trail to the tender area, maybe 10 minutes. The streets are winding and a bit confusing, but it isn't a huge town and not *that* many places to get lost ;)

One more thing - If you have time, likely on the way down, climb through the rampart window and stroll to see the church in ruins. It is great to see, and really, just off the main path. It is probably a 2 minute walk from the window to the church, and it was fun to climb through the window :D . For more info and a "map", see Post #17 in THIS THREAD

Hey Jacquelyn, I missed your reply yesterday... thank you! Great map. Your info is what I figured. A hearty breakfast and water/snacks in my backpack. I'm relatively fit so I'll be good to go for this. In my home town we have a hike called "The Grouse Grind" about 3000ft elevation and something like 3000 steps/stairs in total... done it in less than 45min:D .... ok ok! Back in my glory years! :rolleyes::p

I've watched a few youtube videos and read a couple of reviews, I think 2.5 hours will be plenty time to get up and down, with many stops and photos, and not be panicked regarding getting the last tender. I saw a few pictures of the rampart & church, yes I'll be looking out for that!

Thx again for your replies & advice :)

Hi we are cruising the med aboard the serenade, we leave this Friday. Regards to Venice can you give me advice how to do this ourselves? What is the best way to do this? Much appreciate any advice

Hi we are cruising the med aboard the serenade, we leave this Friday. Regards to Venice can you give me advice how to do this ourselves? What is the best way to do this? Much appreciate any advice

Upon departing the ship, we did almost the same as cruisePAC in that we followed the signs to the People Mover, purchased tickets at the kiosk that I think were 1.50 Euro per person and rode it to the Piazza Roma. There we purchased 36 hour Vaporetto tickets and hopped on and off at our leisure for the 2 days in Venice. It did get quite crowded in the evenings as the Venetians were coming and going, but during the day, and later in the evening it was very nice.

We did purchase the map, and that greatly assisted us in navigating throughout Venice.

Oh, and Enjoy your trip. I am sure that you will.

Say Hi to Richie and Grace at the R Bar in the Centrum from Brian:D