Why Charleston??

Buck64

Just got back from our cruise on the Fantasy. The cruise was great and really liked the ship. The live band "Dat Band" was great.....really enjoyed them. There's only one thing we didn't care for....The Charleston Cruise Terminal. Debarkation was totally awful. This has nothing to do with Carnival! It was chaotic. Lots of double work such as loading luggage, unloading luggage. being bused to the warehouse. The building is an eyesore as are other buildings in the area. I don't understand the (very few) people in Charleston who are against Carnival building a new state of the art terminal to replace the eyesore that is currently there! Also it's like Carnival has to walk on eggshells to not offend the sophisticated people of Charleston. An example of this would be quiet debarkations and if I'm not mistaken, no horn during sail away. How about building a terminal in Myrtle Beach and just pull out of Charleston? Ok...end of venting. Has anybody heard any updates on the new terminal for Charleston?

I love sailing from Charleston because Fantasy is wonderful and, well, Charleston is wonderful. I've sailed her several times and never had any issues with boarding or disembarkation. The silent disembarkation has gone more smoothly than what I've encountered on any other ship.

I absolutely could not care less about the terminal. I happen to think they do a fantastic job with what they have. They really do. Yes, it's hot in Charleston in the middle of the summer. And it's fairly cool in Charleston in the winter. There is plenty of info in the All Things Fantasy thread as well as over on the East Coast Departures board. The "unique" boarding and disembarkation they do is well documented. If you book Fantasy, there's no reason for any unpleasant surprises if you're prepared for how things are done there.

There have been several threads about Charleston and the twits who want to pretend they're "old Charleston" and are fighting the new terminal.

Charleston exists because it was a port city. Yes, a new port further from the historic district would help the cruisers, but I wouldn't want them to build a big, new, shiny building where the existing one is located.

Myrtle Beach? Ugh. I could just see adding a cruiseport to the horrendous traffic in that area. No thanks! :(

It might be a cast off if The Charleston "elite" get their way, most are not from here anyway the locals were taxed out a longtime ago. But on another point given how small and old the port is they do a great job getting you on the ship, getting off is another story unless you self assist when disembarking. From what I understand most of the lawsuits have been dismissed.

Anything would be a great improvement of whats there, rusty ware house weeds growing through the pavement and the crumbling facade of the old rice mill, only a matter of time before it collapses. And yes you pass many abandoned dilapidated buildings on the way off the interstate, so I don't see the what the fuss is all about.

I believe that cruise ports and terminals in every major city, Charleston included, are on public lands that are overseen and administrated by local authorities. A company like Carnival Corp can not just pick any convenient spot along the waterfront and erect a new cruise terminal.

I know that here in South Florida, the Port of Miami is overseen by Miami- Dade County and Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale by the Broward County Commission.

Carnival does not own the buildings. They are tenants of the counties. I am sure that is true in Charleston as well.

Just got back from our cruise on the Fantasy. The cruise was great and really liked the ship. The live band "Dat Band" was great.....really enjoyed them. There's only one thing we didn't care for....The Charleston Cruise Terminal. Debarkation was totally awful. This has nothing to do with Carnival! It was chaotic. Lots of double work such as loading luggage, unloading luggage. being bused to the warehouse. The building is an eyesore as are other buildings in the area. I don't understand the (very few) people in Charleston who are against Carnival building a new state of the art terminal to replace the eyesore that is currently there! Also it's like Carnival has to walk on eggshells to not offend the sophisticated people of Charleston. An example of this would be quiet debarkations and if I'm not mistaken, no horn during sail away. How about building a terminal in Myrtle Beach and just pull out of Charleston? Ok...end of venting. Has anybody heard any updates on the new terminal for Charleston?

I have traveled out of many ports, Charleston sucks! BUT, being about 75 minutes from my house -I will put up with its many faults!

Myrtle Beach? Ugh. I could just see adding a cruiseport to the horrendous traffic in that area. No thanks! :(

Wow - I just got a cold shiver down my spine - I didn't think the traffic in Myrtle Beach could get any worse, but add a cruise port - OMG!

I have noticed that the prices on the Fantasy are a lot higher than its sister ships. We ended up driving 3 hours further south to go on the Fascination last month because it was so much more to go on the Fantasy.

We will be boarding our third cruise from Charleston in a couple of weeks. While different from Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and other larger ports with multiple ships, its not bad if you know what to expect and follow their instructions.

I've cruised out of Charleston, and am about to again, and consider myself lucky that it's only a 12 hour drive from my house! I get that the process was designed by Rube Goldberg, but isn't it always a PITA from anywhere in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic? New York is insane to get to/through, even if the cruise terminal parking itself is easy. Boston? Swing by, get screamed at as you drop off your stuff, fight for parking, and walk back- hopefully you don't have to go to that far away lot and take a bus back. Bodymore, Murdaland? Actually Baltimore is relatively easy but still a drive through potentially a hell of a lot of traffic.

And flying to FLL or MIA can easily add thousands on to your cruise price if you're taking the family and staying at a hotel the night before. Best case scenario: you board the ship with a day's worth of dirty laundry and the nagging thought that you might miss your flight back.

Charleston is at least driveable in a day for me. A long day but a day! And there are multiple hotels with cruise/park packages.

Loved the Fantasy. Loved the city of Charleston. We've cruised out of many ports, but will never go out of Charleston again. Don't know what was worse, embarkation or debarkation. I now know what cattle must feel like when being herded. Awful experience. :mad:

How about Savannah or Port Wentworth. Huge ships go in and out of there all the time. I know they are trying to dredge the Savannah River to make it deeper for the huge cargo ships so they can take them when the Panama Canal expansion is done.

I think that eventually Carnival will begin to reduce the size of their fleet. They already know that they have too many berths to fill as it is. I think they will shift back to their roots and the majority of their ships will be found in S Florida and TX. Niche ports like Charleston will probably lose out and ports like Jax, Tampa and even Baltimore will lose their ships as the smaller ships are phased out and the newer ships aren't able to pass under their bridges.

We're leaving out of Charleston on the Fantasy at the end of this month and I've read reviews that the port is horrible...so I guess this opinion is fairly common. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to then. Hubby and I have been on 2 other cruises (Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa) and both embarkation/disembarkation were quick and easy. I don't think it matters the location, I just think it's the management and staff. Glad you had a good time though!

I think the cruises out of Charleston are more expensive because the taxes and fees are higher than other ports. At least that's what I've read/heard. I can't wait for our cruise on the Fantasy this October. Who cares if it's a bit of a hassle getting on board. Once you are on the boat, you are on vacation!

I've been out of Charleston 5x with 2 more booked. I actually like the embarkation as it goes fast (they only allow 1 bus at a time so lines are never long). Debarkation is sometimes a pain but I just wait until I'm kicked off and it's a breeze to get through.

I also could not imagine it out of Myrtle with the traffic that is already there especially in the summer.

We did Charleston last November and don't plan to return [for a cruise] unless/until they build a new terminal. They work with what they have, but I prefer to not deal with the shuttles, the silent debark (has nothing to do with the terminal it's a CCL thing), and the actual process of debarking in that port.

The ship was lovely, the cruise was fine, but the port was a mess. We're driving past in November to cruise from Florida.

I've cruised out of Charleston, and am about to again, and consider myself lucky that it's only a 12 hour drive from my house! I get that the process was designed by Rube Goldberg, but isn't it always a PITA from anywhere in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic? New York is insane to get to/through, even if the cruise terminal parking itself is easy. Boston? Swing by, get screamed at as you drop off your stuff, fight for parking, and walk back- hopefully you don't have to go to that far away lot and take a bus back. Bodymore, Murdaland? Actually Baltimore is relatively easy but still a drive through potentially a hell of a lot of traffic.

And flying to FLL or MIA can easily add thousands on to your cruise price if you're taking the family and staying at a hotel the night before. Best case scenario: you board the ship with a day's worth of dirty laundry and the nagging thought that you might miss your flight back.

Charleston is at least driveable in a day for me. A long day but a day! And there are multiple hotels with cruise/park packages.

LOL! and I love Baltimore super easy. driving 9 hours on Thursday to sail out of Charleston on Friday. 2nd time so at least I already know what to expect. I get there early and leave super early (for the long drive home)

I have noticed that the prices on the Fantasy are a lot higher than its sister ships. We ended up driving 3 hours further south to go on the Fascination last month because it was so much more to go on the Fantasy.

Charleston makes more money. That is a good sign for security for a cruise ship there regardless what some here may say.