Just Back from Explore the Isles on Marina

digtexas

I agree also

I am not into to "seeing it all" anymore I am good for 4-5 hr tours

then I am DONE :D

I was thinking of the Black taxi tour in May but maybe will rethink that idea ;)

As tour guides get popular via CC & other sites they sometimes lose the quality of the tour that their reputation has been built on

Some do not want to lose the business so they add drivers/guides other will say sorry I am booked

I digress though :o

It might still be worth doing. Just make sure that you have Paddy as your driver/guide and not Des, who we had.

A funny aside: Paddy wanted to make sure that we were good friends with the other two passengers on the tour, and mentioned it repeatedly in his emails, because they have had many problems when matched passengers go on tour together and begin fighting over where they want to go, etc. Who knew this was such a big problem? My take on it is that there is not that much space in an English taxi and basically, two of us had to sit on jump seats and two of us sat on the rear seat. Our space solution was to assign each couple a side, so that you would be facing your spouse and could stretch out your legs and each couple could decide for themselves who would sit facing backwards on the jump seat and who would sit on the wider rear seat. In that small space I could see how couples who were not good friends might get a little annoyed with one another.

English taxis may be cute, but they are not made for 45 minute to 1 hour long journeys with 4 people, and we were much more comfortable in the larger vans that were provided on our other tours.

I know exactly what you mean about not doing 9-5 tours - we are the same and often shorten tours to get back to the "sanctuary"! I get fed up trailing around!

Where did they take you from Invergordon? (My DH is often up there with some rig or other being in dock there for maintenance.). One of the nicest things that happened when he there one time, a SB ship was in docked practically next to them and when the SB ship left (I knew one of the guests on board so was able to ask for a favour:)), the Captain gave the rig a horn salute as the ship passed the rig on leaving. To say the guys on the rig were thrilled to bits would be an understatement. :). I hasten to add he did not deviate from his course, or do anything stupid!!!

From Invergordon our guide took us to Loch Ness, overlooking Urquhart Castle, to Inverness and to the Culloden battlefield area (where we had lunch but chose not to tour). There might have been more, but it all starts running together in my head, and that is all that I can remember at the moment. Of course, once again, we asked Sandy, our nice driver and guide to take us back to the ship a little early.

I neglected to mention anything here about our final stop in Portland/Weymouth, England, although I received some guidance from nice people and had some discussion of it on the Ports page. First of all, the port serves also as a Navy base and is very secure, not allowing taxis to show up and hang around the port. There was a free shuttle into Weymouth for those who wanted to visit there. We had pre-arranged a taxi from Weyline Taxis, for the purpose of taking us to the car rental depot, which is located a few miles from the ship away from the town center of Weymouth. The cost for the taxi ride was to be 12 GBP and our purpose was to drive to the little village of Abbotsbury and to tour the Swannery there as well as the subtropical gardens, and then to drive around the Jurassic coast of Devon for a bit of sightseeing.

I have driven in the UK, but it has been years, and the prospect of me driving on the left on small roads definitely made our friends a little nervous. Anyway, our taxi driver was a fine fellow, driving a nice, comfortable van, so on the way to the car hire, I asked him how much he would charge to just drive us around. He received approval to do so for 30 pounds per hour. We agreed and it turned out to be a great decision. Some of the roads were very narrow and winding with blind spots, and I was able to relax and enjoy the vistas.

The Swannery, founded by monks hundreds of years ago, was wonderful, and getting there shortly after 9:30 AM, we had the place to ourselves in the beautiful countryside. The subtropical gardens were very nice for those who love gardens. Then we drove west down the coast towards Bridport and stopped at a beach town with the most amazing cliffs coming right up to the beach. Then back to Abbotsbury, a beautiful little village with honey colored stone houses with thatched roofs. We could have gone east of Weymouth and toured the Lulworth Castle/Durgle Door area, but by this time it was after 1 PM and instead headed back towards the ship. The taxi driver, who was very proud of his home, insisted that he drive us up to Portland Bill, the high point of Portland island, with amazing vistas, and to see the Portland lighthouse.

We got back to the ship a little before 2pm. (We still had to pack and wanted to relax on our last day). The driver, who was excellent, only charged us for 4 hours, so with a tip, the whole journey only cost us 70 pounds per couple. So we had a wonderful, personally tailored tour with our own driver for significantly less than any tours of the area offered by the ship's tours.

Portland turned out to be one of our very favorite ports and the nice day of touring the area was an excellent way to end the cruise.

It might still be worth doing. Just make sure that you have Paddy as your driver/guide and not Des, who we had.

My take on it is that there is not that much space in an English taxi and basically, two of us had to sit on jump seats and two of us sat on the rear seat. Our space solution was to assign each couple a side, so that you would be facing your spouse and could stretch out your legs and each couple could decide for themselves who would sit facing backwards on the jump seat and who would sit on the wider rear seat. In that small space I could see how couples who were not good friends might get a little annoyed with one another.

English taxis may be cute, but they are not made for 45 minute to 1 hour long journeys with 4 people, and we were much more comfortable in the larger vans that were provided on our other tours.

I read your report of the tour in a Black Cab (taxi) with astonishment. A black cab is for quick journeys around towns, A to B sort of trips. Certainly that vehicle is not suitable for a sightseeing tour. The jump seat is most uncomfortable as you found out. I would certainly not recommend touring in a Black Cab. Very glad that most of your tours were more comfortable!!

Portland turned out to be one of our very favorite ports and the nice day of touring the area was an excellent way to end the cruise.

wise choice ;)

we enjoyed that port as well ..would love to go back & spend more time in the area someday

As to luggage being left in the corridors...it happened to us on Riviera last year. The luggage was left hodgepodge all down the corridors in no particular order. It was madness as folks would not get out of the way to let others pass when they did find a piece of luggage. It was like being on a commuter train at rush hour no one could move. Also there was no one to help us. Not a good way to start the cruise:mad:

As to luggage being left in the corridors...it happened to us on Riviera last year. The luggage was left hodgepodge all down the corridors in no particular order. It was madness as folks would not get out of the way to let others pass when they did find a piece of luggage. It was like being on a commuter train at rush hour no one could move. Also there was no one to help us. Not a good way to start the cruise:mad:

I'm not going to be popular, but this was another reason for having staggered boarding times. It gave the crew a little breathing room to get the luggage and other miscellaneous items organized.

These days, everyone demands to be in their cabin first and then get their luggage first. The result is that the staff is overwhelmed, some people try to do it themselves, and chaos ensues.

Pick your battles, people.

I'm not going to be popular, but this was another reason for having staggered boarding times. It gave the crew a little breathing room to get the luggage and other miscellaneous items organized.

These days, everyone demands to be in their cabin first and then get their luggage first. The result is that the staff is overwhelmed, some people try to do it themselves, and chaos ensues.

This WAS a staggered boarding Jim and we were not called to get into our cabins until 3:30. I did not even expect to have luggage delivered by then and much preferred that it wasn't. We are very used to getting our luggage later and in a more orderly fashion. I did not pick my battle on this one.

My experience was much like Dojo's: chaotic. I just wanted to respond by saying that we followed instructions. We did not go to our cabin until it was announced that our cabins were ready. If they were not prepared for us to enter our deck and cabin, perhaps they should not have announced our cabins ready. This was only my second O cruise and I do not recall how the luggage was handled on my first one. Of course, often cabins are ready on cruise ships and luggage comes later. We did appreciate the fact that our luggage was already available following the announcement (once I located it and schlepped it through the hallway over other luggage, passengers and a scooter). In the end it was not a big deal, but not the most pleasant way to start a luxury cruise.

Orkney was actually our most interesting day. We used "Wild About Orkney".

The owner Clive Horton did an incredible job getting us to all of the important archeological sites. We did small private tours at all ports. All were excellent but Orkney topped the list.

Orkney was actually our most interesting day. We used "Wild About Orkney".

The owner Clive Horton did an incredible job getting us to all of the important archeological sites. We did small private tours at all ports. All were excellent but Orkney topped the list.

Happy to hear it. Orkney was our only ship's tour of the entire cruise and we chose a little panoramic tour, which was obviously a mistake as it sounds like the true gems there were the archeological sites.

suddenly someone appears to bring it in, or the butler is there and gets someone. If we bring it in, it is because we want to. Perhaps they leave it if you are not in the room. Frankly on boarding day or between cruises, I am so much in love with the turkey that I need to get my turkey before unpacking! LOL.

One of the other gems of Orkney is diving Scapa Flow, one of the bucket list dives in the world. It's a cold water dive, and takes more time than while on a cruise visit, but if you're a diver and you return, you'll want to add that in also.

suddenly someone appears to bring it in, or the butler is there and gets someone. If we bring it in, it is because we want to. Perhaps they leave it if you are not in the room. Frankly on boarding day or between cruises, I am so much in love with the turkey that I need to get my turkey before unpacking! LOL.

Carol I would hope that if I or anyone else was staying in an Owner's Suite, there would be someone available to help with luggage...or any other thing that one's heart could desire!;)

I read your report of the tour in a Black Cab (taxi) with astonishment. A black cab is for quick journeys around towns, A to B sort of trips. Certainly that vehicle is not suitable for a sightseeing tour. The jump seat is most uncomfortable as you found out. I would certainly not recommend touring in a Black Cab. Very glad that most of your tours were more comfortable!!

Today I read a bunch of Trip Advisor reviews for Paddy Campbell's Black Taxi tours, most of which were rated excellent. I did notice, however that none of the reviewers had our less than stellar driver, and most of the travelers who loved the tour did a shortened, city tour, concentrating on "the troubles" rather than a long haul to the countryside and back to visit the famous rope bridge and Giant's Causeway in the uncomfortable vehicle as we did, followed by a very brief stop at the mural wall. Of course, by the time that the driver returned us to the city and showed us the wall we were exhausted and just wanted to be back on the ship.

Carol I would hope that if I or anyone else was staying in an Owner's Suite, there would be someone available to help with luggage...or any other thing that one's heart could desire!;)

Worry not! There is almost nothing you could want when you stay in an OS.

Just hint at it, or even think it and it will be done.