Canadians Driving to a port in the US for a Cruise

toberman

Chevron is one of the biggest "offenders" as far as requiring ZIP code.

As far as CCs go, it's not physical theft of the card but more likely, cloning of the card (info from the magnetic stripe) that is of greater concern. This is possible even if the card stays within your sight if the swiping machine is compromised.

I've never had a charge on a lost CC (except on a toll road in France) but have had fraudulent charges which could only have come from the card being cloned.

Did a little research and found some interesting items.... This is not only a problem for Canadians, but UK and EU residents as well. Apparently the MasterCard solution of changing your Postal Code to a Zip code works the majority of the time.

Good news for us is that by Oct 2017 all credit card readers in the US will have to have the ability to read Chip embedded CCs. Here and in Europe that is the standard. With this new 'reader' we will be able to use our 4 digit PIN instead of a Zip code. Problem solved. :) Eventually.

Huh, and all this time I thought that entering the zip code was a security feature (i.e. the zip entered had to match the billing zip code).

That's what I thought, going to try a different one next time to check it out.

Don't use debit card at gas stations, lots of fraud doing that :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

I live about 1 hour from the Border into the usa. and Canadian cards dont always work at their pumps. Ived tryed in portland maine and they dont work at all.. Normally I just make sure I have gas money for the ride home and what not.

using our own postal code numbers and then adding 2 zero's at the end. Super simple. We have a chip and pin card. The chip and pin number doesn't work, you need your own postal code plus the 2 zero's.

We are always backwards and forwards to Washington State as the gas is much cheaper. It was a gas station attendant who told us about the postal code numbers. Remember, it has to be your own postal code not a made up one.

We have travelled all over the States using this method to fill up with gas.

Edited by Theodorable

That's what I thought, going to try a different one next time to check it out.

Don't use debit card at gas stations, lots of fraud doing that :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

I would try putting a different one in but don't want to have to deal with a rejection while on the road.

We also have driven all over the US. The postal code trick has worked for us about 90 percent of the time. Once you are on the road, if you hit a station that makes you go inside, just remember not to stop at that brand again.