Canadians Driving to a port in the US for a Cruise

toberman

Or driving into the US for any reason. A problem I've been having recently is -the gas pumps in the US are mostly pay-at-the-pump. But.. you have to have a US Zip Code in order for that to work.

The alternative (for me) has been to go into the kiosk and either give them a credit card to hold (don't care for that idea), or give them cash to unlock the pumps. I don't qualify for a US Credit card... so does anyone have a solution for this??

Looking at an extended US land vacation and really don't want to have to carry cash for gas.

Thanks in advance.

I recall reading somewhere (could have been on Cruise Critic) that your own postal code can be used but just use the digits, not the letters and add two zeros at the end; ie TiV 3R5 becomes 13500. I tried it once and it seemed to work.

Could be, of course, any 5 digit number might work.

Can't hurt to try!

Use a debit card, they only require a pin code.. happy cruising

You have to be kidding?? Would never use a debit card.

I recall reading somewhere (could have been on Cruise Critic) that your own postal code can be used but just use the digits, not the letters and add two zeros at the end; ie TiV 3R5 becomes 13500. I tried it once and it seemed to work.

Could be, of course, any 5 digit number might work.

Can't hurt to try!

Tried that... US Zip Codes do not have any letters. Therefore our postal codes won't work. Thought of just entering a random (but ligit) US postal code to see if it would work.

Or driving into the US for any reason. A problem I've been having recently is -the gas pumps in the US are mostly pay-at-the-pump. But.. you have to have a US Zip Code in order for that to work.

The alternative (for me) has been to go into the kiosk and either give them a credit card to hold (don't care for that idea), or give them cash to unlock the pumps. I don't qualify for a US Credit card... so does anyone have a solution for this??

Looking at an extended US land vacation and really don't want to have to carry cash for gas.

Thanks in advance.

Tip that was given on a recent bill i had and shown on MasterCard site:

When paying at the pump in the US with a Canadian Credit Card when asked to enter ZIP code, use the numbers in your Postal Code and add 00.

EX: K1N 6B3 become 16300

source http://www.mastercard.ca/education/travel-tips/US-gas-code.html

Edited by Gizmo88

When paying at the pump in the US with a Canadian Credit Card when asked to enter ZIP code, use the numbers in your Postal Code and add 00.

Understand.... But have you tried it.... And does it work???

Understand.... But have you tried it.... And does it work???

So far, It was worked at a few gas stations, not every gas station will accept the '00' part. Use it as an option. Sometimes it doesn't work so I send one person inside to pre-pay with cash and I am at the pump.

the person inside would get the change after tank is full.

If you do not want to do it, i heard people using 90210 (although I would not do it due to security problems).

Edited by Gizmo88

Thanks in advance.

It is the same for us when we buy gas in Canada. The pumps will not accept a US card. I always have to go inside.

we just keep cash for that purpose... it is a pain to have to pay first then go back for change if need be

for some shops I use 99999 as a postal code not sure if it work at the pumps

GREAT info. Thanks for sharing!

I also though putting in the zip code was for security reasons. Awhile back I was traveling with relatives. My car.... they offered to pay for the gas and gave me their cc but I pumped. I put in my zip and it would not accept it. I asked them for their zip, put it in and sho-nuff......it accepted it. But back to OP....I've had to do it other places, other reasons, I didn't feel uncomfortable having the clerk hold my cc while I did "whatever". I'd do that before I took a wad of cash, plus, if you take Canadian $$$$$'s, you're going to have to convert them as well. Too much hassle....just use your card and have the clerk hold it if a makehshift zip code doesn't work.

Edited by donnatello

Those that have used this method successfully are not the ones saying use a "made up" zip code. Use the numbers in the zip code (followed by two zeros) that matches the billing info on the credit card you're using.

Easy breezy. :rolleyes:

It is the same for us when we buy gas in Canada. The pumps will not accept a US card. I always have to go inside.

Yes but... At most places in Cda you do not have to pay in advance. You just pump your gas and then go into the clerk and pay what is owing. We're so honest !!

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I'm definitely going to try the 'change your postal code to a zip code' method.

I've also decided to get another credit card with a $500 limit. But I won't activate it - they won't be able to tell ! I can give this one to the clerk and if they decide to copy the # to use later - it just won't work. I'll pay with a good card after I've filled up. Seems like a plan ??

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I'm definitely going to try the 'change your postal code to a zip code' method.

I've also decided to get another credit card with a $500 limit. But I won't activate it - they won't be able to tell ! I can give this one to the clerk and if they decide to copy the # to use later - it just won't work. I'll pay with a good card after I've filled up. Seems like a plan ??

It might work.

However, locally I can take my card to the booth and, rather than leave it, have the attendant authorize/charge a set amount on the card (say $60.00), she will do that and I can go pump my gas. In this example we'll say that I pump $55.00 worth of gas. The remaining balance is automatically returned to my CC account. I then get in my car and drive away. I don't have to make two trips to the attendants booth.

You already have two solutions: let them hold a credit card, or pay cash. Apparently you don't like either of those...why not? The credit card is going to be in plain view for the security cameras to record, so on the miniscule chance that someone tries to steal it, they're going to be tracked. If you plan ahead, it won't be hard to calculate how much cash you'd need so that you'd have spent it all (or nearly so) before boarding the ship (or perhaps half of it) so it's no longer at risk of being stolen from you.

Plus, others have indicated that you can use your Canada zip code >90% of the time. Sounds to me like you have three options, so it's a question of what you're willing to use.