Rome in a few hours

Clang60

We arrive in Rome at 9:00 am from U.S., will be take n to hotel to checkin

and then have the rest of the day for touring. This will be on Sunday. Would you recommend booking a private tour or just taking taxi to major sites? Want to see Colosseum and Forum for sure. What else should we see? Read that Vatican City is not open on Sundays.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't do a tour the day you arrive. You'll be tired. You can taxi easily anywhere in the city. The Colluseum and Forum are basically in the same place. So that would be easy to do on the day of arrival. That may be enough that day. I never am able to sleep on the plane, so I'm really exhausted and zombie like on arrival in Europe.

Staying outdoors is a good way to acclimate to a new time zone, so seeing the Colosseum and the Forum would be a good use of time. These two sites alone can use up three or four hours, so by the time you get to the hotel, drop your things, and get there ... well, most of your day is gone.

Thanks! Unfortunately, we leave the next day to get on a cruise ship in Naples...our travel agent did not allow for anymore time in Rome. Just wanted to see as much as possible in a few hours.

Thanks! Unfortunately, we leave the next day to get on a cruise ship in Naples...our travel agent did not allow for anymore time in Rome. Just wanted to see as much as possible in a few hours.

Ok then book a tour if only to drive around and see the sites they can arrange for you to

Go into the colesieum with a group tour.

Have your driver go up the " hill" and show you a wonderful view of the forum which is best seen that way anyway

Have them stop at a major church or 2 like San Clemente or St. Peter's in Chains if you don't opt for the Vatican St Peters ( see comment below)

They can also park near the pantheon and give you some time there.

The above can be done in 4 to 6 hours if you don't linger

You may well even be able to fit in a quick vist to (vatican ) St. Peter's if just to see it from the front ( or at least drive by before bringing you to the hotel)

However there is a good chance the lines to get into the basilica will be short and you can walk inside to see the pieta etc but as the clock is running you really could not linger

Exhausting day but if you opt for St. Peter's you could drop the other church suggestions

I need to have a talk with your ta!! What was he/ she thing???

3 days minimum for Rome!!!! This just needs to be made to happen!!

Also if you book a tour why not just have them pick you up at the airport and hold your luggage in the car and start your tour right away?

You will be exhausted but even an hour downtime at your hotel could make it worse.

Not to mention all the time and money wasted on an airport transfer plus a scheduled private tour.

Just start from fco

Plan on 500 e cost as well maybe slightly more with colesieum tix

I always use Rome cabs they are incredible

Also some people feel seeing the colesieum just from a drive by is enough but I wholeheartedly disagree as I believe I was a patrician in a former life and am just magically drawn to that site. I am mesmerized by it and I have seen all the great sites. The kremlin the pyramids etc but the colesieum just does it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Don't do a tour the day you arrive. You'll be tired. You can taxi easily anywhere in the city. The Colluseum and Forum are basically in the same place. So that would be easy to do on the day of arrival. That may be enough that day. I never am able to sleep on the plane, so I'm really exhausted and zombie like on arrival in Europe.

I agree, we have learned to really limit what we plan on arrival day as you are tired and trying to adjust to a new time zone.

I agree, we have learned to really limit what we plan on arrival day as you are tired and trying to adjust to a new time zone.

Oh absolutely true. Maybe dinner at most

But I always try for 5 days minimum in Rome but for some reason the op is just spending 1 night

The ta apparantly booked it this way however if the op could shed some light on why it is so close?

Not enough vacation time?

Great airfare?

I am interested as to why just an overnight in Rome although I realize sometimes there is no choice unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's hope for the best. I usually arrive in Europe so excited that the energy and adrenaline carries me through the day. Perhaps the same will be true for the OP.

You can definitely see the Colosseum and Forum after you arrive on Sunday. One ticket is good for both, you can pre-purchase to minimize your wait in line.

If you stay in the central area, you could walk in the evening (before dinner perhaps, after a brief rest) to see the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona, all of which are beautiful in the evening. I think the Pantheon doors usually close around 7pm.

What time are you leaving for Naples on Monday? Any time to do any sightseeing in Rome in the morning before you go?

We have found that the best way to deal with jet lag is to grab a quick shower at the hotel and then hit the streets. We wander and meander, stop for a coffee, have an early dinner (by European standards) and then go to sleep. We wake up refreshed and ready to truly begin our vacation, and really don't suffer any lasting jet lag at all (until we get home!)

So yes, you will have time to hit the highlights.

We arrived in Rome after a red eye from LA, and honestly didn't sleep that well. When we arrived at the hotel, our room wasn't available (but didn't expect it to be), so the clerk suggested we use the lobby restrooms to freshen up, took our luggage and directed us to a hop on- hop off bus. She encouraged us to get seats on the upper (open) level. We did get off and walk some, and it gave us the opportunity to get the lay of the land for our next few days.

Rarely are the rooms ready when you arrive at the hotel. In most cases, you won't be able to check in until noon or later. So a quick shower isn't really probable. Don't bank on freshening up.

It's always worked for me. . .certainly a possibility.

Not knowing your excitement level and/or age when you arrive, I'd recommend a professional tour v. a taxi for maximum comfort and time utilization. I'd suggest reviewing the choices on the website RomeInLimo.com and see if any fit your interests. They can be counted on to do a great job.