Hurricane threat in Hawaii

gb88

I am flying to Honolulu tomorrow and supposed to board NCL's Pride of America on Saturday. There are threats of TWO hurricanes (Isele and Julio) headed toward Hawaii. If Delta does fly to Honolulu tomorrow, do I assume that POA will sail, as planned, even with the possibility of a hurricane? I know that cruise ships often sail "around" the storms. I never expected this kind of situation sailing to Hawaii. It's far more expected in the Caribbean. Any advice?

I am flying to Honolulu tomorrow and supposed to board NCL's Pride of America on Saturday. There are threats of TWO hurricanes (Isele and Julio) headed toward Hawaii. If Delta does fly to Honolulu tomorrow, do I assume that POA will sail, as planned, even with the possibility of a hurricane? I know that cruise ships often sail "around" the storms. I never expected this kind of situation sailing to Hawaii. It's far more expected in the Caribbean. Any advice?

The only minor advice I would give you is to keep your eye on the front page of NCL.com. They are very good about posting weather related itinerary changes.

Sorry, that's all I got. OH, might behoove you to stock up on a bit of the seasickness preventives.

Hope it works out well for you.

Hurricane Iselle is forecast to be a weakening tropical storm as it approaches Hawaii. Saturday will probably not be a nice day. I can't see delta canceling your flight to Oahu tomorrow.. the storm is not forecast to begin affecting Oahu until Friday night. Julio is currently forecast to pass north of the Hawaiian Islands.. I would bring some sea sickness pills as I would imagine the seas will be rough.

Edited by Bocadude85

It's a good thing your flying in a day or two early, smart move. But Cruiselines including NCL have been known to move up departure time to avoid weather so as other poster mentioned stay in tune with NCL front page.

Hi, we just posted this to our website:

Weather Alert for Pride of America Guests

August 6, 2014

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the paths of Hurricanes Iselle and Julio in the Pacific.

At this time, we anticipate embarkation for Pride of America’s August 9 sailing will take place as scheduled. Should there be any updates, they will be posted on http://www.ncl.com.

I'm pretty sure your ship will sail. With this rare event I would keep a close eye on a change in schedule. Hilo is noted for closing the port when seas become too high. If you have scheduled tours from the ship and a port is missed the cruiseline will credit you. If you have a independent tour you will loose your deposit. Remember the main purpose from the cruiseline is to have a safe cruise. Be sure to take an umbrella. I'm from the desert and I don't know any better. Have a safe trip. Tim

If you want to see what the TV stations are reporting about Iselle and Julio, you can check one of those websites.... Hawaii News Now (KGMB and KHNL), KITV, or KHON2.... I know that Hawaii News Now has live streaming when their news programs are on the air. It looks like they are currently forecasting that these will be tropical storms rather than hurricanes when they hit Hawaii.

That suggestion of taking along some seasickness pills sounds like a goooood idea. And the umbrella.

How stressful - I hope things work out! Keeping my fingers crossed.....

I was surprised to see what the prices were on the POA sailings for the month of August and obviously the weather is having an affect on bookings. This is the dry season and bookings are usually good so the prices are high for a seven day cruise. The August 16th sailing is the cheapest I have seen for sometime. The prices are usually double what I am seeing. It will be interesting to see if the September sailings come down in price. It just depends on how the weather affects the Islands this week. Wait and see. Tim

We just got a new update here on the Big Island. Iselle has strengthened and picked up some speed. We are now under a Hurricane Warning here on the Big Island ...upgraded from a tropical storm warning in the last hour. The other islands are still under tropical storm warnings and watches. Things are changing quickly.

It's a good thing your flying in a day or two early, smart move. But Cruiselines including NCL have been known to move up departure time to avoid weather so as other poster mentioned stay in tune with NCL front page.

NCL maybe apt to just stay moored in port or make a small change in

the order and time in which the islands are visited staying on the outside of

the storm.

But right now it appears to be business as usual with the scheduled sailing time

and the airlines operating its flights.

This is one excellent example/reason to travel a day or two in advance to avoid

weather problems instead of watching the gang plank being pulled and the ship

sailing away less full!

I don't know how cruise ship companies plan for these things - I do know that

the US Navy in bad weather storms moves its ships way out to sea instead of

having them wrecked in port or being unable to move because of storm damage

blockages to exit a port.

We just got a new update here on the Big Island. Iselle has strengthened and picked up some speed. We are now under a Hurricane Warning here on the Big Island ...upgraded from a tropical storm warning in the last hour. The other islands are still under tropical storm warnings and watches. Things are changing quickly.

Stay safe. You will most likely get the brunt of the storm. Hopefully all we will get is rain and some wind. Let us know how you are doing. Aloha.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We're on POA right now, just leaving Kona.

Just heard that we're still proceeding tonight to Kauai, but for Thursday only. Captain just stated that the port of Kauai was closing at 4am Friday, but we need to be out of port by sundown tomorrow (Thursday). We'll be at sea on Friday.

The good news your you folks coming on board on Saturday is that we should be in Honolulu on time.

Hope you have a good cruise.

This from the NCL website today:

Weather Alert for Pride of America Guests

Updated Thursday, August 7, 2014 @ 12:30 pm ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the paths of Hurricanes Iselle and Julio in the Pacific.

To avoid the path of the storm, Pride of America will depart Nawiliwili, Kauai on Thursday at 7 pm and spend the day at sea on Friday.

At this time, we anticipate embarkation for Pride of America’s August 9 sailing will take place as scheduled. Should there be any updates, they will be immediately posted here.

Oahu (that's Honolulu / Waikiki) has setup a special hotline (808) 768-CITY to answer calls about non-emergency services, shelter & other essential info for the duration of these 2 storm. 911 are for emergencies.

HI News reporting that 3 of the major malls in Honolulu will be closed on Friday, government offices/schools & non-essential services & businesses will be closed for Friday. Julio is now a Cat 3 Hurricane but forecasted to weaken in the next 24 hours and will pass north of the island by Sunday. Iselle is expected to make landfall by Friday morning over Hilo - storm surges have already flooded out some roads and resulted in power outages. Many inter-island flights were cancelled late Thursday onward until the storm past, but no major cancellation of mainland flights with HNL Airport staying open, for the time being until otherwise. Continuous updates & blogs here - http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/category/3497/news

Relatives living & working on Oahu emailed us that they are basically staying home this weekend, stocked up on emergency supplies & doing shelter-in-place. Transportation will be a major challenge this weekend, depending on storm tracks.

Edited by mking8288

My godson & his brother are both working on this ship (currently in seamanship school) - I messaged him about the weather and asked to let me know how everything is.

Pat

Edited by pkexton

Despite missing our second day on kauai, we are have a mostly nice day here on the poa. We are currently circling the west side of kauai with some clouds and wind, but little rain. We are having some pretty heavy waves, but not too bad. The pool deck is packed and everyone making the best of it.

Captain stated that we will be heading back to Oahu tonight, but the port is currently closed. He was optimistic that is would be open when we get there in the morning.