Beverage Packages vs. A la Carte?

Mboen

We do not care for the wine selections by the glass and drink at most one or two cocktails per day, so the beverage packages make no sense for us. We bring a bottle or two, buy some onshore, or just order what we like off of the wine list. We miss the discontinued discount wine bottles program,

Does your comment mean that one is allowed to bring wine onboard?

When we take the package SWMBO usually has a glass or two of champagne during the day, a martini before dinner, wine with dinner, and a drink or two during the evening. My consumption is more geared to (a couple fewer but more expensive) single malt scotches and maybe a glass of wine with dinner. Our bill would easily exceed the $60 pp/pd so in that respect it's a good deal.

When we don't take the package we generally bring vodka, Scotch, and maybe some wine/champagne aboard and buy drinks from the ship mostly at Happy Hour and in the dining room (wine). We tend to drink slightly (but not appreciably) less and save at least 50% of what we'd spend on the package since I can buy a good 750 ml bottle of Scotch (about 10 drinks) for $6-7 per drink instead of the $10-20 plus tip they charge on board and vodka for much less (maybe $3 per drink vice $8-12 plus tip on board).

Bottom line: It all depends on your social preferences, financial attitude, and drinking habits and they don't have to be the same on every cruise

If I remember it wasn't an issue bringing Liquor and wine onboard, but that was quite awhile ago. How is it now?

Needed a break from Hawaii and the political turmoil and cultural/social problems inherent. ( picture Chicago politicians running an indian reservation)

Roger that, re: Hawai'i politics. No fan of one party politics but Abercrombie surprised me by taking on the entrenched union special interests. Guess he paid the price in this primary and that really says all you need to know about the People's Republic of Hawai'i.

Roger that, re: Hawai'i politics. No fan of one party politics but Abercrombie surprised me by taking on the entrenched union special interests. Guess he paid the price in this primary and that really says all you need to know about the People's Republic of Hawai'i.

To watch the smoke and mirrors show of the most political state in the union, makes Chicago politics seem like a bunch of cub scouts. and only 1 party in the state from Gov to Legislature to mayor- council-public. And they run it like a kingdom....

.....not really visible on Maui which has pretty much been crafted into the southern Californian's version of Hawaii from celebrity chefs to dinner theater on the beach....Venice and Pacific Beach with more palms.

When I left Kona, gas was $4.27.... when I arrived in May in LA is was $4.39

However if you buy your gas from Tesoro, and get "zero E gas" ( no ethanol) then you get 20 to 25% better milage So in effect, $4.27 becomes $3.42- $3.20 Gallon.....

$400 for a rt air to LA!!!... maybe from Honolulu...not from KONA and its 11 hours rt...not 5hr

So long......Hawaii dan signing off......KAR969

It's still a very nice place to visit (we prefer Kauai and The Big Island) but you wouldn't want to live there...

But you moved to California to escape union domination and high taxes/cost of living??!! Out of the frying pan and into the fire!

It's still a very nice place to visit (we prefer Kauai and The Big Island) but you wouldn't want to live there...

But you moved to California to escape union domination and high taxes/cost of living??!! Out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Didn't move because of unions or taxes ( which are 1/4 of calif) Moved because of the severe racial tension and atmosphere fostered against everyone by the Hawaiians (which are a small minority). Calif has its problems but nowhere near Hawaii which is out of control.

This you never see as a visitor or a part time resident... Thus a visit rather than being a resident will allow you to enjoy what can be a paradise in the resorts and national parks.....just don't step too far out past their boundaries.

Sent from a roadside rest ,using heliograph morse, in the Sonora desert

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked a cruise with a drink package, and it says that we can order wine "by the glass". Does that mean that we can only order the wines listed in O's wine card as Wines by the Glass? If so, then the choice is not very big (IMO), and from O's web page it seams that the Wines by the Glass are the same for all restuarants, even the Italian restaurant Toscana will only have 2 white and 2 red wines to choos from.:confused:

Still looking very much forward to the cruise;)

We have booked a cruise with a drink package, and it says that we can order wine "by the glass". Does that mean that we can only order the wines listed in O's wine card as Wines by the Glass?

YES the packages is BY THE GLASS only that is pretty clear I would think

I counted at least 11 whites & 12 reds that are on the list for the beverage package ...now they may not all be available in the specialties but I am sure they do have several "wine by the glass" options to choose from

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/beveragepackages/#Wine

You are always free to buy a bottle of the ones you like

Edited by LHT28

If You are on either drink package limited only to the "wines by the glass" listings and yes it is not large

You will not get any of the large range offered on the entire wine list only the glass offerings, and it does not change during the cruise.

I may be in error, but on my last cruise they eliminated several wines and Champaign as well as single-malt whiskey ( scotch to some)

If You are on either drink package limited only to the "wines by the glass" listings and yes it is not large

You will not get any of the large range offered on the entire wine list only the glass offerings, and it does not change during the cruise.

I may be in error, but on my last cruise they eliminated several wines and Champaign as well as single-malt whiskey ( scotch to some)

The by the glass wine list is actually quite extensive:

Champagne and Sparkling Wine:

Ruffino Prosecco, DOC, Treviso, Veneto, Italy

Montaudon Brut, Reims, France

Schramsberg Mirabelle Brut, North Coast, California

Wines (By the Glass)

WHITE

La Terre Chardonnay, California

Danzante Pinot Grigio, Delle Venezie IGT, Venezie, Italy

Bex Riesling, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Germany

Hoffman Family Cellars Chardonnay, 401k, Sonoma, California

Nobilo Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand

Bodega Piedra Negra Pinot Gris, Uco Valley, Argentina

Pine Ridge Vineyards Chenin Blanc-Viogner, California

Bodegas Fillaboa Albarino, Rias Baixas, Spain

Donnafugata Anthilla IGT, Sicily, Italy

Laboure-Roi Pouilly Fuisse, Vallon d'or, Burgundy, France

Silverado Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley, California

BLUSH & ROSÉ

Robert Mondavi-Woodbridge White Zinfandel, California

Domaine Francois Lurton Fumées Blanches Rose, France

RED

La Terre Cabernet Sauvignon, Spain

Diseño Malbec, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina

Arboleda Carmenère, Colchagua Valley, Chile

Frescobaldi Remole Toscano, Tuscany, Italy

Francois Lurton Merlot Bordeaux, France

Spellbound Merlot by Michael Mondavi, Napa Valley, California

Estancia Estates Pinot Noir Reserve, Monterey, California

Frescobaldi Castiliogni Sangiovese, Chianti, Tuscany, Italy

Spellbound Petite Sirah, Napa Valley, California

Tyler Florence by Michael Mondavi, Cabernet Sauvignon,

Napa Valley, California

Palacios Remondo La Montesa Rioja, Spain

LATE-HARVEST & FORTIFIED NOBLE WINES

Domaine de la Bergerie Le Clos de la Girardière, France

Fonseca Late Bottled Vintage Port, Oporto, Portugal

Château du Juge, Sauternes, France

Château la Varière Bonnezeaux, Loire Valley, France

Antinori Vin Santo del Chianti Classico DOC, Tuscany, Italy

Dow's Vintage Port, Oporto, Portugal

Yes it is a nice little list of wines.. but limited

Bottom line is if you are pleased with it, great! If you seek more then maybe it is not for you.

The list is however limiting and the potential for you to further explore is not as wide as the entire list for bottles....nor does it allow for your own wines brought on board

All a matter of taste and its not so much what a wine critic thinks of a wine but what YOU think of it.

I can enjoy a 82 L'Evangeline Pomerol, just as much as a nice 5 ltr box of Franzia crisp white. The wine by the glass selection to me was too limiting.

The humorist Jean Shepppard once wrote that" people only like meat and potatoes and they only eat other stuff to impress each other" maybe that's true of wine too..... Oh well

There are plenty of choices of wines and some of them are quite nice. However, when you prefer Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot, for instance, your options are extremely limited. While we try a couple of other wines, we have a strong preference for these wines. For this reason we would not purchase the wine package but find the prestige package is quite good. Again, it depends upon ones taste.

I am in the early stages of planning a 2016 Med cruise with either Oceania or Regent. Just waiting for them to post their 2016 cruises. So comparing cost closely for all inclusive Regent to Oceanias add ons. When it comes to alcohol I'm only a beer drinker and my wife doesn't drink at all. I'm also not a beer snob so I'm usually fine with a house beer. Can anyone share what a beer by the glass on Oceania cost and is there just a beer package and what it would cost.

I am in the early stages of planning a 2016 Med cruise with either Oceania or Regent. Just waiting for them to post their 2016 cruises. So comparing cost closely for all inclusive Regent to Oceanias add ons. When it comes to alcohol I'm only a beer drinker and my wife doesn't drink at all. I'm also not a beer snob so I'm usually fine with a house beer. Can anyone share what a beer by the glass on Oceania cost and is there just a beer package and what it would cost.

Beers range from $5.50 to $6.50, plus the 18% service fee, of course, and there is no Beer Package as such. You'd either have to buy into the beverage package or not.

Unfortunately, the less expensive, "Wine & Beer only" beverage package only includes service during mealtimes, so it looks like you'd be better off doing your own thing, altogether.

StanandJim,

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. Your response as always is so helpful. I kept seeing responses on alcohol that drinks were $10 plus and thought surely beer was a little less. Your assessment confirms what I thought and just pay as I go and most likely do most of my beer drinking in port.

StanandJim,

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. Your response as always is so helpful. I kept seeing responses on alcohol that drinks were $10 plus and thought surely beer was a little less. Your assessment confirms what I thought and just pay as I go and most likely do most of my beer drinking in port.

You could always bring a few onboard to enjoy in your cabin/balcony ;)

Lyn

That is definitely what I plan on doing. Although I don't think I will need a case as some have suggested -ha.

Another thought, I'm planning on booking either an Oceania Suite or Vista Suite. I know that those suites come with several bottles of Spirits that you can choose. Do you think they would provide beer in lieu of the Spirits?

You can also look at MVPINBOYNTON'S website with copies of the menus

http://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_menus.htm