Beverage Packages vs. A la Carte?

Mboen

Yes, LHT28, thanks for pointing that out. I had studied the list when originally posted by MVPINBOYNTON but was unable to make a determination whether the package or a la carte would be the better choice. Pretty close to a wash, as far as I could tell.

Like many others here, I hate signing chits and getting a parsimonious pour when ordering a la carte. This pushes me toward the package. On the other hand, I hate committing to a certain level of expenditure beforehand, and maybe not getting full value for my money in the end. This pushes me away. Also, the earlier discussion of whether wine service in dining venues is adversely affected by being on the package, while not definitive, at least gives me pause.

A test run of a la carte seems like it may be the best procedure, but it would still be useful to hear from someone who has done it and been happy or disappointed that they did.

As always, thanks in advance!

Cost of 4 drinks per day of medium to best alcohol, including tip, equals or surpasses prestige package cost. Purchase on first day and use your OBC to offset the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, LHT28, thanks for pointing that out. I had studied the list when originally posted by MVPINBOYNTON but was unable to make a determination whether the package or a la carte would be the better choice. Pretty close to a wash, as far as I could tell.

I guess people could drive themselves crazy with the "what if " scenarios ;)

Some days you will win some days not:D

enjoy the cruise

Lyn

I spend thousands to go on a 10 day cruise. I buy a drink package for $600. I can have as many drinks as I like ,even doubles. I can have glasses of wine with meals. I do not have to sign for drinks, and by the second or third day the bartenders know me and my preferences. I have done this on two cruises, and found the service excellent. Cheers!

Like many others here, I hate signing chits and getting a parsimonious pour when ordering a la carte. This pushes me toward the package.

Unfortunately, you still get a "parsimonious" pour when on the package. I drink only wine and found it very annoying that, when at the bar, their idea of a glass of wine consists of about 2 oz. When I would ask them to pour more, they said they couldn't, that each glass of wine had to be counted for inventory purposes. So I would have to drink the 2 oz. and then try to get the bar tender's attention for another 2 oz. pour. This does significantly limit how much you can drink on the package.icon9.gif

Edited by journeyfan

Unfortunately, you still get a "parsimonious" pour when on the package. I drink only wine and found it very annoying that, when at the bar, their idea of a glass of wine consists of about 2 oz. When I would ask them to pour more, they said they couldn't, that each glass of wine had to be counted for inventory purposes. So I would have to drink the 2 oz. and then try to get the bar tender's attention for another 2 oz. pour. This does significantly limit how much you can drink on the package.icon9.gif

Are you saying they pour less if you have the package deal??

I have wine but have always gotten 4-5oz doing the pay as you go deal

Interesting

I will have to take my measuring cup along with my tape measure next cruise ;)

When you do, I want to know the square footage of veranda cabins on O class ships (without bathrooms and balconies) to see if they are actually larger than the ones on R ships or just look larger :D:D

...Another thought, I'm planning on booking either an Oceania Suite or Vista Suite. I know that those suites come with several bottles of Spirits that you can choose. Do you think they would provide beer in lieu of the Spirits?

I think your question got lost...I've never sailed in an upper suite, but Betsy made friends with someone in an owner's suite who doesn't drink. She was trying to give away some of her liquor or wine. Betsy said she preferred beer. The next thing we knew, her friend's butler delivered a 6 pack of beer to our cabin. They had switched out a bottle of her spirits...

...So, based on that, I would think your butler could do the same.

I think your question got lost...I've never sailed in an upper suite, but Betsy made friends with someone in an owner's suite who doesn't drink. She was trying to give away some of her liquor or wine. Betsy said she preferred beer. The next thing we knew, her friend's butler delivered a 6 pack of beer to our cabin. They had switched out a bottle of her spirits...

...So, based on that, I would think your butler could do the same.

Beer isn't on the Menu for stocking the In Suite Bars:

015456.jpg015454.jpg -and although I'm sure that my good friend Hondorner meant you only well by suggesting the possibility (and that he was correct when he surmised that they would accommodate you), I'm also shocked that his native frugality didn't prevent him from suggesting the substitution of a forty dollar bottle of booze for a six pack!

Send the Butler to the nearest 7/11 instead! :o

Edited by StanandJim

Don & StanandJim,

Thanks for the feedback! I suppose I could post a 2 for 1 special on roll call with my $40 bottles for the first day or two and that would take care of my beer tab.

In all seriousness, i have decided as a beer only guy and a wife who is water only that pay as I go really makes sense.

This has just been one of many issues in deciding Oceania vs Regent for a 2016 Med cruise. After following both forums for months have definitely decided Oceania. Just waiting on schedules to be released.

Both of you posts have been ver helpful over the months.

Thank You!

When you do, I want to know the square footage of veranda cabins on O class ships (without bathrooms and balconies) to see if they are actually larger than the ones on R ships or just look larger :D:D

I do think they are slightly bigger you can walk between the bed & wall better than on the R ships & the sofa is longer..... but maybe just an illusion of more space :D

Lyn

We did not do a drink package on our just finished Marina Baltic cruise and we were glad we did not. A couple of additional things to consider: the nightly 2 for 1 cocktail hour in all bars; the captains cocktail evening in all bars from 5 - 8PM one night, Oceania club cocktail hours, La Reserve wine tasting nights (where you don't want to drink anything before the tasting- full pours and refills on all 8 wines - including the pre-dinner champagne cocktail), days you will be off the ship on long tours over lunch and dinner times.

We ordered bottles of wine, usually had a least one each of white and red going all the time. The wine holding system using your room number worked very well. The opening price points for both red and white is $32 per bottle plus the 18%.

We found the Stockholm (our embarkation port) liquor stores (state controlled monopoly) had a huge variety of wine and liquor at very reasonable prices- starting at $10 a bottle, with very nice wines from Italy, Spain and France at $20-30. So we stocked up for stateroom use before boarding. Didn't need to resupply in other ports, but did see wines readily available in most (except St. Petersburg).

We found the Stockholm (our embarkation port) liquor stores (state controlled monopoly) had a huge variety of wine and liquor at very reasonable prices- starting at $10 a bottle, with very nice wines from Italy, Spain and France at $20-30. So we stocked up for stateroom use before boarding. Didn't need to resupply in other ports, but did see wines readily available in most (except St. Petersburg).

I am Swedish and against whatever state monopoly represents BUT our system with the state-owned liquor stores are so good. The stores have a very large sortimet of spirits, wine and beer. If the bottle you want is not in the store, you can easily order it to your nearest store, you can actually order almost any alcoholic beverage from around the world, albeit in whole box ..... that's the price the state must pay for a monopoly :D

The price is largely driven by alcohol percentage, which means that fine wines are often very affordable.

I have lived in several countries where alcohol is sold in regular grocery stores but it results only in that all stores have the same boring products. And the specialty shops for alcohol in these countries will almost never come up to the standard of a Swedish state liquor store, especially in small towns in the countryside.

I know it sounds weird, but it works very well :)

...I'm also shocked that his native frugality didn't prevent him from suggesting the substitution of a forty dollar bottle of booze for a six pack!

Send the Butler to the nearest 7/11 instead! :o

Hey, I don't drink either one! I'd have been happy with a 6 pack of Diet Pepsi. Actually, I don't know what, if anything, they replaced with the beer. Could have been a bottle of wine. All I know is Betsy got beer for which she didn't have to pay -- is that frugal enough? :p:D

Edited by hondorner

Are cocktails included in the prestige drinks package??

Cocktails, wine, straight spirits (with one cognac exception if I remember correctly. Basically, whatever is poured in the bars and MDR is included. You can find the alcohol menu on the Oceania website. At $60/day (including the 18% tips)) about four drinks a day is the break even point. Worth it to not have to be "nickle-dimed" or drink only two-fer cocktail specials during happy hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
... only the wine stewards (the gals and guys in dark red vests with a Tastevin) pour the wine. If you ask your waiter, he will have to then go ask a wine steward. It's very confusing the first time on board. ...

Do they also handle the cocktails in the restaurants or is that the waiter instead?

• 1 month later...

Thank you. Is it acceptable to have a drink package for one guest in the same stateroom, while the other is a la carte? I followed the link to the Oceania beverage package page and it didn't say anything about this either way, so I assume it's OK...?

Thank you. Is it acceptable to have a drink package for one guest in the same stateroom, while the other is a la carte? I followed the link to the Oceania beverage package page and it didn't say anything about this either way, so I assume it's OK...?

Yes, that would be fine. Unlike the mass market lines, Oceania trusts its' clientele to act as responsible, honorable adults, and would have no problem with one guest buying into the package while the other does not.

Please be sensitive to the fact that any type of "sharing" would be categorically prohibited.

We were in a Vista suite and had the six bottles. We did some trading, had 3 wine, traded the champagne for another bottle of wine..switched out something for a bottle of tequila, but they couldn't come up with the mixers or triple sec. So that was totally wasted. Had 2 bottles of cognac, and left more than half of one. We had a nice shipboard credit, and since they will not give you a refund of that from your travel agent which I think is poor policy had to spend some of it in the overpriced shop.

Anyway, my point is, we just could not drink enough to justify the drink package..

We were in a Vista suite and had the six bottles. We did some trading, had 3 wine, traded the champagne for another bottle of wine..switched out something for a bottle of tequila, but they couldn't come up with the mixers .

Just curious

what mixers did you need?

Most cabins do not get the 6 bottles in their cabins only for top suites .

If the OBC truly came from the TA & not via the cruiseline you would get the refund

Edited by LHT28