What Carnival & Royal ships are equals?

BLAMBKY

People love amusement parks and they also love cruising. There's nothing wrong with being able to do both, at once.

That said, in answer to the OP's specific question about Carnival ships in the same class as FOS, there is none.

FOS - 154,000 tons

Dream class - 128,000 tons 17% smaller

Conquest class - 110,000 tons 29% smaller

Sunshine - 101,000 tons 35% smaller

Facts and figures

While the Freedom does not have a water slide, it has a large children's water area that made me wish I were a kid again, and also a Flowrider.

Lots of good information is given about Carnival ships, though.

Yes, it did have a children's watermark area. However, I think the waterworks on CCL Are better. And as far as the flow rider goes - I love watching the people on it - but my 55 plus year old body wouldn't survive some of the wipe-outs I have seen many people take on it. Or the bruises/bumps or loss of bathing suits!!:D

Thank you for pointing this out! I've been popping in and out reading this thread and keep shaking my head at the oft-repeated stereotype of RCI being an amusement park at sea.:rolleyes:

I have only cruised one RCI ship so far: Grandeur, but that ship wasn't even as much of an "amusement park" as Carnival Pride (one of Carnival's least amusement park-like ships). Although there was a rockwall (the views from the top of that amazing, BTW), it was very much a being-on-a-ship-at-sea experience for us. The only cruise that beat Grandeur for that feeling was Celebrity Mercury, and that only in subtle ways.

One shouldn't classify a whole cruise line based on a few features of just its few biggest, newest ships.

Exactly. There are 3 ship classes totalling 11 ships, over half their fleet, that are like that - that only have a rock wall. Those ships, excluding Monarch, with their beautiful Solariums, dining rooms and public lounges can hardly be referred to as amusements parks. And Radiance Class with their huge windows have better views of the ocean than any Carnival ship.

But back to the amusement park thing - you can't help but shake your head, huh? As you can see, some people are so strange in their loyalty that they can't recognize when their line of choice does the exact same thing they're accusing another line of doing. It's just weird.

That said, in answer to the OP's specific question about Carnival ships in the same class as FOS, there is none.

FOS - 154,000 tons

Dream class - 128,000 tons 17% smaller

The only similarity between Dream Class and Freedom Class is, despite being so much smaller, they hold just about the same number of passengers as the larger Freedom Class.

Exactly. There are 3 ship classes totalling 11 ships, over half their fleet, that are like that - that only have a rock wall. Those ships, excluding Monarch, with their beautiful Solariums, dining rooms and public lounges can hardly be referred to as amusements parks.

As you can see, some people are so strange in their loyalty that they can't recognize when their line of choice does the exact same thing they're accusing another line of doing. It's just weird.

You make it sound as though people are condemning RCI.

You're right, the loyaty thing IS weird.

I agree 100% and I question how honest some of the folks here are when they say they don't want and need the mall of the seas and the amusement park of the seas. Do they really feel that way, or are they just saying that while looking on enviously from the Carnival boards?

Why is it so hard to believe that people enjoy cruising on a smaller ship and not needing rides and neighborhoods? Just got off the Splendor and we were so happy to be back on Carnival.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Why is it so hard to believe that people enjoy cruising on a smaller ship and not needing rides and neighborhoods? Just got off the Splendor and we were so happy to be back on Carnival.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Because sometimes those statements come across as sour grapes, and they taint the entire vine. No doubt many others are genuine. I'm sure you are. :)

I used to say and still do when the opportunity arises far less from MT than Oregon...no trip to Hawaii is the same and if you love it and all goes marginally well...Nothing beats your first trip. that is how I feel about cruising..especially as I age.

No 2 cruises are alike even on the same ship. The astute travel agent will see a persons likes and dislikes and try to match ship size and features. I heard alot of "never on Carnival" where I used to live and I am sure the more one can afford to travel and does so... the level and quality one experiences can make make our views narrow as to what we will take. The folks I really enjoy are the ones that can see how each ship and line shines more than where it needs improvement. Sometimes that is almost impossible.

My TA friend that travels exclusively luxury now had as much fun with her groups on Carnival as any other line for over 20 years. Often she did more affordable cruises first to put groups together. Some stayed some moved on..I listened and drooled for 20 years...saying I would so love Celebrity and Holland all the time I think. Before the Crystal stories..LOL.

Then the opportunity came up to get on Carnival even from MT for the extra travel expense and everything clicked on my little 1A on the Paradise in 2009..and the innovations continue...Chef's table and keeping a huge amount of ships up...with a decent product and some attractive "dependables" like cabin size and decent albeit not gourmet fare. Then the pluses of Chef's Table and Steakhouse for those who want more.

The smaller ships for the budget mass market happy line offer a lot and the most they offer is a closer access to the ocean..sitting on the real Serenity looking at Catalina really drives that home. I would have preferred that to the Spirit in Cabo...before i can hire my own yacht...LOL...

I will love the mall of the seas and larger too..I will love it all...and you just really can not compare anything to access to water views and quiet places one seeks on a ship for their own renewal..IMHO.

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

And Radiance Class with their huge windows have better views of the ocean than any Carnival ship.

Vision too. We did our first Vision class last month (Enchantment). WOW at the generous use of floor to ceiling glass. Absolutely wonderful views of the ocean. Carnival has nothing remotely close to the way Royal uses glass on those ships!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

You were on the same cruise as me on FOS in April 2013! My first cruise was on Carnival, the Dream, and it started my addiction.

My boyfriend (now fiance) had only been on RC - so when we booked a 3 day cruise on an older Carnival ship (Sensation) he was skeptical. Well, he loved it! Don't get me wrong, I had a great time of the FOS too and would go again, but for the price and value I continue to choose Carnival every time.

I just took my mom on the Sensation in May and she loved it too! This is a woman who has only cruised in suites on NCL - so that's saying a lot in my opinion.

Give it a try - you may just be surprised!

Vision too. We did our first Vision class last month (Enchantment). WOW at the generous use of floor to ceiling glass. Absolutely wonderful views of the ocean. Carnival has nothing remotely close to the way Royal uses glass on those ships!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can honestly say, I have never seen a comparison on use of glass between the two referenced in a post before. Can't comment other than I very much appreciated the Captain's Suite on the Liberty for that very reason.. Absolutely great front views.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimbo5544

I remember the reading about the glass on Vision class and all the beauty of what that glass everywhere allows in..especially Alaska in the day...Sarah

There may have been a special on TV..the Travel Channel...

Edited by sjn911

Can't comment other than I very much appreciated the Captain's Suite on the Liberty for that very reason.. Absolutely great front views.

Too bad that only about 4 people get to experience the views from the Captain's Suite. :(

I can honestly say, I have never seen a comparison on use of glass between the two referenced in a post before.

Here's a visual of that comparison. :D You can't argue that there's a difference.

Carnival's version of floor to ceiling glass windows

DSCF7894.jpg

Royal Caribbean's version of floor to ceiling glass windows

V045_zps31af9085.jpg

V046_zps9d44036f.jpg

Edited by Tapi

Too bad that only about 4 people get to experience the views from the Captain's Suite. :(

Here's a visual of that comparison. :D You can't argue that there's a difference.

Carnival's version of floor to ceiling glass windows

DSCF7894.jpg

Royal Caribbean's version of floor to ceiling glass windows

V045_zps31af9085.jpg

V046_zps9d44036f.jpg

That's a huge difference.

Carnival Spirit class uses lots of glass just like the RCCL Radiance class.

Both classes are my favorite for cruising.

Besides the HAL Vista class and Millennium class on Celebrity