Carry On Luggage

Ilove6dogs

The main reason I prefer softside is cuz they usually have one or two outside pockets - which I find very useful for things I wish to use on the plane - or tuck away temporarily?

My main advise would be to get a spinner/4 wheel version of whatever you choose - very easy to handle. Also pay attention to sizes - some say they are 'carryon' size and these are not always to be 'trusted since when they 'measure' they do not include wheels/handles or expandable options. If this a concern (I know various non-domestic airlines are very strict about smaller size carryons) you may wish to bring your own tape measure when shopping!

I prefer 2 wheels to spinners - I only buy bigger rollerblade style wheels, they will go over EVERYTHING and not get stuck the way tiny spinner wheels might. Depends on how & where you'll be using your luggage.

Eagle Creek, Osprey, eBags Motherlode - I have some of all of these. All have performed well over the years. I prefer soft-sided over hard. Most that I have have compression straps on the outside to make the bag as small as needed instead of having the same size all the time. I've also been on some land trips where soft bags were required due to the constant loading/stuffing into vehicles. I am also a 2 wheeler vs a 4 wheeler. Easier to pull over those cobblestones or make the run to the train.

I recently bought the eBags Motherlode 21" and 25" set in Eggplant color. I really like soft-sided bags for the outer storage pockets. The 2 wheels on these bags seem sturdy and roll easily. I have used the 21" bag several times and the 25" bag once.

I would avoid spinners in lieu of luggage with two roller blade style wheels recessed into the suitcase. They are much sturdier and less likely to snap off. Additionally they add minimal height to the suitcase which allows it to meets stringent carry on sizes and fit into most overheads.

Did want to address hard/soft too - I vote soft, but to me that is actually a hybrid with a firm back and corners etc. Some sturdiness & support, not so much weight.

My husband has a solid (old) 22" that he very occasionally still uses for carry-on, but because of the lack of pockets (and the fact it's split so it's very hard to open to just get one thing out at the airport) these days we only bring it if we know we're going to be transporting something extra fragile. But we still keep it "just in case" (we're both addicted to luggage, so.... :p)

I have a 19 and 25" Eagle Creek that I use most often. I do have a 22" Eagle Creek rolling duffel that is great for domestic travel when I'm going carry-on (but it doesn't have exterior pockets either) My husband really wanted a 19 or 20" non-spinner for international carry-on but had a very hard time finding that this past year. He ended up with a 19" North Face rolling duffel - he likes quite a bit but still likes my eagle creek better:o

If you don't have a reason to carry hard side (eg you always carry something fragile with you and need the protection) then I think soft-sided will be a more flexible travel option.

Lots of it is personal preference.

We purchased 22" and 26" IT bags for DD at TJ Maxx.

The 26" has so far traveled Los Angeles-Rome-Los Angeles. (6 flights,

including 5 transfers.) Only problem with the 26" is the scuff marks showing because her bag is a mellow yellow. She came back last night with 8 bottles of wine and beer with no breakage.

Her best travel bag is a 24" brown tweed Jordache from the late 80's. It's traveled LAX-FCO many times and still looks and does great. Best $5 investment from Goodwill I've ever had.

100% for soft side.

No spinners. They're a break waiting to happen. There may be some companies that warranty them, though not likely while you're traipsing around in the middle of no where.

I admit that I'm pushing my luck on this because I have a super light weight Delsey 18" that has spinners.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I too am a luggage-aholic! LOL! :D

I also prefer soft-sided luggage as opposed to the hard-sided, clamshell type. I invested in a set of clamshell luggage and have always regretted it because they are very inconvenient to live out of for short trips to stay at hotels or with family and friends. You can't really put them on a luggage stand at a hotel because it's very clumsy and bulky.

It's funny that I saw this thread because I just came back from TJ Maxx and they had some really cute, new luggage, which I was tempted to buy but the DH would have me committed if I bought another carry-on! LOL!:eek: TJ's carries name-brand luggage of good quality for very, very reasonable prices. I have a set of leopard-print luggage that the DH, DS, and I have been using for years and years that I bought at TJ's and the set is still going strong. We just used three of the pieces for a recent cruise and plan to use the set again next weekend when we move the DS back to college. Ross 4 Less also carries name-brand luggage at inexpensive prices as does Marshalls.

Hope this helps and that you find exactly what you're looking for.

Happy travels when you do!

Edited by mousey

Did want to address hard/soft too - I vote soft, but to me that is actually a hybrid with a firm back and corners etc. Some sturdiness & support, not so much weight.

My husband has a solid (old) 22" that he very occasionally still uses for carry-on, but because of the lack of pockets (and the fact it's split so it's very hard to open to just get one thing out at the airport) these days we only bring it if we know we're going to be transporting something extra fragile. But we still keep it "just in case" (we're both addicted to luggage, so.... :p)

I have a 19 and 25" Eagle Creek that I use most often. I do have a 22" Eagle Creek rolling duffel that is great for domestic travel when I'm going carry-on (but it doesn't have exterior pockets either) My husband really wanted a 19 or 20" non-spinner for international carry-on but had a very hard time finding that this past year. He ended up with a 19" North Face rolling duffel - he likes quite a bit but still likes my eagle creek better:o

If you don't have a reason to carry hard side (eg you always carry something fragile with you and need the protection) then I think soft-sided will be a more flexible travel option.

I'll agree with you - some of my "soft-sided" stuff from Osprey and Eagle Creek really do have a rigid bottom and corners. My eBags Motherlode stuff doesn't have that hard piece, but they do have some "form" to them. They also aren't wheeled, so they don't have need for something to protect the hardware.

I think the only things that are truly all soft-sided are good ole' duffel bags. "soft sided" luggage always has a little bit of form to them, whether from a rigid bottom or just constructed to have a little form to them.

Just like everything else...food, clothes,...etc...we all have our own

preferences. I disagree with the gals who say not to get spinners.

I have a 21 inch carry on...4 wheels...I LOVE IT:D...when walking down

the aisle of the plane it makes it SO MUCH EASIER :Dthat the luggage

can turn so it dones't bang in the other passengers while finding

my seat. It has lasted me a good long time.....many flights and I have

never had anything break. It is softsided...the brand is called Olypmia.

And I also LOVE having pockets on the outside.:D

This is the carry on bag I have but mine is light blue:)

ThumbnailImg?$layer_2_src=411-6922-0423-65-yyy&$layer_3_hide=1&$layer_4_hide=1&$layer_5_hide=1&$layer_6_hide=1&$layer_7_hide=1

Edited by Lois R

Just like everything else...food, clothes,...etc...we all have our own

preferences. I disagree with the gals who say not to get spinners.

I have a 21 inch carry on...4 wheels...I LOVE IT:D...when walking down

the aisle of the plane it makes it SO MUCH EASIER that the luggage

can turn so it dones't bang in the other passengers while finding

my seat. It has lasted me a good long time.....many flights and I have

never had anything break. It is softsided...the brand is called Olypmia.

And I also LOVE having pockets on the outside.:D

This is the carry on bag I have but mine is light blue:)

ThumbnailImg?$layer_2_src=411-6922-0423-65-yyy&$layer_3_hide=1&$layer_4_hide=1&$layer_5_hide=1&$layer_6_hide=1&$layer_7_hide=1

i agree - we have traveled a lot last few years w/ 4 wheel spinners -

use them sort of like canes on either side of us - jim wheels the 2 large ones

and i wheel the 2 smaller ones - we check all 4

we put small tote bags on top of 2 of them so we have nothing to carry

except the 2 totes on to plane

we do overpack !!:eek: keep trying to minimize but difficult for us

i love that bright pink !! going to look up olympia ;)

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

I think if you're JUST in an airport with 4 wheel spinners, you're always on smooth flat ground and won't have any problem. When I travel, my luggage needs to go over more varied - and rough -terrain. Which is why I mentioned that *how* & *where* you'll use your luggage is important to consider.

As with everything else, recommendations we make are only as good as the specs we're given to consider by the OP;)

I think if you're JUST in an airport with 4 wheel spinners, you're always on smooth flat ground and won't have any problem. When I travel, my luggage needs to go over more varied - and rough -terrain. Which is why I mentioned that *how* & *where* you'll use your luggage is important to consider.

As with everything else, recommendations we make are only as good as the specs we're given to consider by the OP;)

I thought of this discussion today at work. I was helping out the bellmen with all the luggage that came in early and had to be stored. The luggage with 2 wheels I was just fine with them going across the lobby and carpet. When I had to take the 4-wheelers, they were a pain - they just couldn't keep up with me - I ended up dragging them with 2 wheels - MUCH easier on the carpet and down the hallways.

We have International Traveler soft sided luggage that we carry on. The bags have 2 wheels and weigh about 1 kilo each which is handy when traveling Lufthansa or other airlines that weigh carry ons. We bought them at Marshall's and TJ Maxx for about $50 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The spinners don't roll well over cobblestone walkways or uneven surfaces. In addition to the retail luggage sources mentioned in previous posts, I'll add three online sources: Sierra Trading Post (good prices and brands, LL Bean, and REI.

For an upcoming Europe cruise I have purchased a High Sierra two wheeled carryon that meets the international standards of 20" or less. It has compression straps both inside and outside. My go-to bag has been an LL Bean "traveler" but now that international flights are enforcing their more stringent requirements, I won't risk my 22" bag being rerouted to checked luggage.

The spinners don't roll well over cobblestone walkways or uneven surfaces. In addition to the retail luggage sources mentioned in previous posts, I'll add three online sources: Sierra Trading Post (good prices and brands, LL Bean, and REI.

For an upcoming Europe cruise I have purchased a High Sierra two wheeled carryon that meets the international standards of 20" or less. It has compression straps both inside and outside. My go-to bag has been an LL Bean "traveler" but now that international flights are enforcing their more stringent requirements, I won't risk my 22" bag being rerouted to checked luggage.

do you check any larger bags ??

Soft sided for carry-on without question. I have a set of the Heys spinner clamshell suitcases. The 24 inch checked is no problem, I use it almost every trip. The 20 inch carry-on came on 2 trips and now is used only if I'm not flying. I hate not having an outside pocket, once that bag makes it into an airport it does not get opened to my final destination. I quickly went back to an ancient rolling backpack with plenty of outside pockets.

The wheels all depend where your moving your luggage, the spinner wheels do not mix well at all with cobblestone and carpet. Even going down an airplane aisle I find 2 wheels much easier to maneuver. Any incline and I find my spinner will roll.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I now have five pieces of IT luggage - 2 are two wheel and 3 are spinners. They have held up well being loaded into planes and ships. The one piece I thought I would like the best is actually my least favorite. It is hard on one side and soft and expandable on the other. Their are two problems with it: 1) when you are trying to pack the expandable part on a flat surface, everything tends to slip and slide out, and; 2) you need a bed or other large surface to pack because when expanded the top and bottom halves are equal in size.

I prefer the spinners because dragging an almost 50 pound bag is hard on my shoulders.

do you check any larger bags ??

I've been able to manage a 17 day cruise with the 22" carryon only + a nice sized tote bag (no formal attire except for a lightweight silk dress and pair of sandals) The newer smaller international sized carryon bag will be a challenge. We are doing a cruise + land based travel in Europe and I really would prefer not to be dealing with an additional larger checked bag. I use packing cubes and pack lightweight clothing that is versatile and can be layered for varying weather. Many items can be washed out in a sink and will dry in just a couple of hours. I know that this style of travel won't appeal to many cruisers, but because airfare is so expensive, I will often combine a week or more of land based travel with a cruise. It is much easier to get through the airports with just a carryon and a tote. My tote is by Eagle Creek and fits over the extended handle of any carryon. I pack a small cross-body travel purse inside the tote.

Soft sided and 2 wheels for me. When flying I've noticed people with spinner wheels have a harder time getting their bags to fit in the overhead compartment.

I love my American Tourister Splash -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UNSI0O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits in the overhead compartment of Southwest, Frontier, American and United. It is very roomy (did a week at Disney with just this bag) and handles great. I do not see any wear on it either.

After the third trip with it I decided to get one for DD as well, we now have the blue and the purple. I'm thinking of getting the black one for DH but we have other carry ons and DH gives me weird looks when I bring home another carry on :)

Ive found they retail for $60+ but found it at Amazon for $30. I had it in my cart for a few days when it started to go down in price - I love how Amazon tells you price changes in your cart.

Edited by sirenitas

I now have five pieces of IT luggage - 2 are two wheel and 3 are spinners. They have held up well being loaded into planes and ships. The one piece I thought I would like the best is actually my least favorite. It is hard on one side and soft and expandable on the other. Their are two problems with it: 1) when you are trying to pack the expandable part on a flat surface, everything tends to slip and slide out, and; 2) you need a bed or other large surface to pack because when expanded the top and bottom halves are equal in size.

I prefer the spinners because dragging an almost 50 pound bag is hard on my shoulders.

Love IT as well - my largest piece is IT - only weighs 5 lbs empty so very helpful when dealing with lots of clothing and weight limits? So far holding up pretty well - and I would definitely get another one when required :)

I recently picked up two nice Ricardo Zero Gravity light weight carry on size bags, soft side spinners with the extra pockets at our local Costco , you might want to check them out. I think they were about $49 each and from what I have seen in stores , for the size , good price. Hope you find what you need. My large spinner for checked luggage is a Samsonite, love it. I agree for european travel and uneven surfaces the spinners even the two wheelers are not the best, but for other travel , the spinners work really well for us.

Cori