Seeing wildlife from ship in Caribbean?

Firehunter

Our NCL Alaska trip was awesome in all the wildlife we were able to see from our balcony cabin during cruising. I was wondering if you are able to see much sea wildlife from a balcony cabin during cruising days in the Caribbean? I'm thinking dolphins, but anything else?

I'm sure it depends on the locale, but our sightings have been rare. Occasionally a big school of dolphins or porpoises (can't tell them apart) will be a big thrill. We like to look for flying fish, too. Saw a dead whale once. Does that count.

Our NCL Alaska trip was awesome in all the wildlife we were able to see from our balcony cabin during cruising. I was wondering if you are able to see much sea wildlife from a balcony cabin during cruising days in the Caribbean? I'm thinking dolphins, but anything else?

We saw several whales at the buffet... ;)

We sailed with a group of 20+ friends. It seemed that almost everyone saw dolphins multiple times...but not me :( Seeing dolphins or whales free in nature is all I wanted. It just happened that every time they were around, I was on the other side of the ship or something!

I still have hope that one day flipper will jump out of the water to say hello.

Bring good binoculars, so that when/if you see something interesting, you will have more detail and it will be more fun.

The best thing we ever saw from our balcony on a Caribbean cruise, was an Ohio class nuclear submarine in Fort Lauderdale.

No Kidding:cool:

Marlee

My wife and I seen a turtle somewhere in the middle of the Caribbean Sea between Jamaica and Aruba. It seemed really strange to us to see this little turtle, maybe 1'x1', out there in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles from any land, paddling along in the opposite direction as the ship.

Between St. Thomas and Boston during the last of 3 straight sea days the captain announced there were whales on the starboard side. I swear I could feel the ship list as everybody rushed to starboard. The whales were way out there though, so you couldn't really see much.

Thanks all, some of you are just too funny. :D

We haven't pulled the trigger yet on booking. With three full days at sea I was hoping to catch some wildlife sightings from the balcony. I know nothing will compare to our awesome Alaska cruise last summer which I still owe a review on...

We are also trying to make sure there are some good excursions that do not have age restrictions. Will be researching and posting questions on those later.

There's not much to see while out of port in the Caribbean. Compared to the inside passage of Alaska it appears dead!

Closer to shore you do see some sea life. When you think about it, in Alaska's inside passage, you are close to shore all the time.

If you just pop in and out of the balcony, you probably will not see much.

We spend a lot of time sitting on the balcony and see quite a lot (for the Caribbean).

Once saw a bird riding on the back of a sea turtle!

Love the flying fish.

I'm sure it depends on the locale, but our sightings have been rare. Occasionally a big school of dolphins or porpoises (can't tell them apart) will be a big thrill. We like to look for flying fish, too. Saw a dead whale once. Does that count.

Hope it wasn't this one: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140505/brooklyn-heights/dead-whale-beached-brooklyn-officials-say

We saw thousands of jelly fish on our NCL Jewel Cruise last year on one of our sea days and we saw a couple sting rays when we were docked in Cozumel on that same trip. Other than that I only saw dolphins once when we were pulling into San Juan.

Nope. It was while we were at sea. It was both disgusting and fascinating at the same time. It was barely recognizable due to decomposition. I'm pretty sure I have a picture or a video of it somewhere.