Caribbean Princess Rescue at Sea

Loucat

Realizing this cruise is not over (CB August 2-9th), I do not know if a board on the rescue at sea on the Caribbean Princess on Sunday, August 3rd has started.

If so, please transfer this to the appropriate board.

We are on this current sailing and witnessed the most incredible ability of the crew and officers to save someone who went overboard on Sunday evening.

We were in our portside cabin when the "Man Overboard" alarm was sounded.

This was surreal as in any sailing, this is the last you would expect to hear.

We were on our port balcony and witnessed an incredible effort to rescue this person.

As we watched, a rescue device was launched; within seconds of the call, lighted beacon devices on the port and starboard sides of the ships path permance markers of the past path of the ship as it moved forward.

The ship slowed to an almost stop as it turned back and around in quick fashion. It is no easy thing to stop and turn a ship of this size.

As we watched the rescue launch, not knowing what really happened (did someone really go over?) , we realized the risk to this crew taking off in the dark in a large rubber raft.

They moved quickly to the lighted life jacket that had been thrown in the water; rescued the man and returned him to the ship.

Cheers went up for the crew and the successful rescue of someone.

The reason for this person going over is up for speculation but I understand he/she was put off at the first port (St. Thomas).

Many thanks are due to the Captain, crew and most of all to those brave crew members who took off in the dark to save this person.

We were kept informed and were happy to hear the Captain report that the person was in the medical care area and the "Cruise would carry on".

What you shared is important to take note of. The crew saved this passenger, sometimes we only think of them to serve our needs, but truthfully, they saved that person and did put their own lives at risk. That is an awesome act for any human being. Thanks for sharing that prospective. Much appreciated.

Thank you for your enlightening and honest report of this rescue. I have been on a ship when a crew member went overboard, but unfortunately too much time passed before it was realized that he was missing.

For whatever reason this passenger went overboard I'm glad he is safe and I hope he gets help.

Thank you for your enlightening and honest report of this rescue. I have been on a ship when a crew member went overboard, but unfortunately too much time passed before it was realized that he was missing.

For whatever reason this passenger went overboard I'm glad he is safe and I hope he gets help.

The saving point here is that someone saw him go over and alerted crew. They also threw him a life jacket.

I also hope that this person gets help. He was lucky to be rescued so quickly.

Our balcony was directly above the rubber boat that was launched. I echo the OP on this. The crew handled this in a very prompt and professional manner. I was real scary watching those strobes flashing in the dark as the boat approached each one to check for the man. As best I could see it was the last or second to last strobe that they found him at.

A huge well done to crew concerned and thanks for posting this. Sounds an amazing rescue.

For sure! The crew did an incredible job and were so impressive. As previously stated, for those of us watching, it was am emotional time.

We did not know if the person would be found or saved.

Many kudos to the CB staff who went out on that rescue and to the crew who turned that ship so well.