Tips for Venice

cruise4life_789

We agree that with friends (especially those visiting Venice for the first time) it really makes sense to grab a water taxi. It will cost you about 25-30 Euros a person (including tip) and is a really neat experience. IMHO, in your situation (with lots of luggage and 4 persons) it would be money well spent.

Hank

Hi everybody, :)

do you have some tips for me about Venice? Monuments, masterpieces, famous alleways...and so on?

Thanks!

We meandered through Piazza San Marco and followed the signs to Rialto.

There, we stopped at a cafe and had a nice glass of wine, before going on a 45 minute gondola ride. After that, we had a traditional Italian lunch in a small square, and then pottered around the shops and markets until it was time to return to the ship. We arrived early to the water taxi dock, so had another glass of wine as we waited.

Bliss - not a single queue or crowd or following of a lollipop.

The Rick Steeves book is also available in electronic format, and I had it on my i-phone so it was with me all the time. It's very well-organized - easy to finds answers to your questions quickly.

I had a great map, but it didn't help much. As someone said earlier, the streets are tiny, crooked and not always marked. My best advice is don't worry about getting lost - it will happen! But Venice is small, and nothing is far away. I just kept walking from San Marco taking random turns at T junctions and Y junctions, and within a few minutes I came out at the Rialto (which is on the Grand Canal).

My best tip is try to get up really early one morning - near dawn if possible. Venice is quiet at that time of day. You can watch the working people hauling everything along the canals and then on carts along the streets. Makes you think about how the city operates. I was alone in San Marco Square as the sun came up (well, there were a few pigeons). The dawn sunlight on the mosaic tiles in the archways of the church was unforgettable.

There are so many experienced travelers on this board. I love it! I'd like to ask some advice. I'll be in Venice in October for the first time. I'll arrive two days before my cruise so I have a little time to enjoy Venice. For context, I'll be traveling solo and arriving mid-morning. I'll have only a backpack and one carry-on sized roller suitcase. I plan to purchase a 48-hour vaporetto ticket.

Would love your advice on the best way to:

• Travel from the airport to my hotel (Best Western Olimpia). There's no such thing as too much detail in your directions! Can I travel via vaporetto and start using that 48-hour ticket right away?

• Travel from my hotel to St Mark's Basillica.

• Travel from my hotel or St Mark's to Burano.

• Get from my hotel to the port (I chose this hotel because I understand it's close to the port).

• Travel from the port to the airport when I return to Venice the following week.

Thank you so much in advance!

There are so many experienced travelers on this board. I love it! I'd like to ask some advice. I'll be in Venice in October for the first time. I'll arrive two days before my cruise so I have a little time to enjoy Venice. For context, I'll be traveling solo and arriving mid-morning. I'll have only a backpack and one carry-on sized roller suitcase. I plan to purchase a 48-hour vaporetto ticket.

Would love your advice on the best way to:

• Travel from the airport to my hotel (Best Western Olimpia). There's no such thing as too much detail in your directions! Can I travel via vaporetto and start using that 48-hour ticket right away?

• Travel from my hotel to St Mark's Basillica.

• Travel from my hotel or St Mark's to Burano.

• Get from my hotel to the port (I chose this hotel because I understand it's close to the port).

• Travel from the port to the airport when I return to Venice the following week.

Thank you so much in advance!

Taxi or express bus. Vaporetto doesn't serve the airport.

No 1 or No 2(express) vaporetto . Also a pleasant walk.

Vaporetto to Burano Ask at the hotel desk for the best route. Don't miss Torcello.

People mover tram

Taxi from the port direct or people mover tram and express bus.

Google Venice for visitors and tom's port guides for details

Guess we will add a bit more detail. To get to your hotel you go outside the terminal building (main front entrance) and cross one street to the center island. There you get the express ATVO bus that will take you right to the Piazale Roma from where its a very short walk over to your hotel. You can buy an ATVO ticket in the machine located right at the bus stop, or they also sell them at the ticket kiosk inside the terminal (not far from the main entrance/exit.

As to vaporettos (there is a large vaporetto stop very close to your hotel) you would probably want to buy a timed pass. They are sold for 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, etc hours and you can get them right outside the ACTV Office (this is the company that owns the Vaporettos) which is close to your hotel and in front of the vaporetto docks. Once you have that pass (you validate it by passing it over the scanner each time you get on a vaporetto) you can use the vaporettos to go anywhere around Venice or to any of the islands (such as Burano).

Hank

Vaporetto doesn't serve the airport.

Earl Rosebery is right. Happily, there's an alternative to the vaporetto, the Alilaguna, that does serve the airport. The Alilaguna Blue Line (Linea Blu) has stops at San Marco and the Maritime Cruise Terminal (with several in between). The Orange line (Linea Arancio) also goes between the airport and San Marco but makes a stop at Rialto.

Still, Quilting Cruiser has already gotten the best advice considering the Best Western Olimpia's location near Piazzale Roma: take a taxi. For other cruisers staying in hotels near San Marco or the other Blue or Orange line stops, the Alilaguna is a nice option if you want a water arrival that's less expensive than private water taxi.

Here's the link to the Alilaguna web page of the excellent "Venice for Visitors" web site: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_boat.htm

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Taxi or express bus. Vaporetto doesn't serve the airport.

No 1 or No 2(express) vaporetto . Also a pleasant walk.

Vaporetto to Burano Ask at the hotel desk for the best route. Don't miss Torcello.

People mover tram

Taxi from the port direct or people mover tram and express bus.

Google Venice for visitors and tom's port guides for details

Thank you very much. Cruising has become so much easier since finding CC. :D

Guess we will add a bit more detail. To get to your hotel you go outside the terminal building (main front entrance) and cross one street to the center island. There you get the express ATVO bus that will take you right to the Piazale Roma from where its a very short walk over to your hotel. You can buy an ATVO ticket in the machine located right at the bus stop, or they also sell them at the ticket kiosk inside the terminal (not far from the main entrance/exit.

As to vaporettos (there is a large vaporetto stop very close to your hotel) you would probably want to buy a timed pass. They are sold for 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, etc hours and you can get them right outside the ACTV Office (this is the company that owns the Vaporettos) which is close to your hotel and in front of the vaporetto docks. Once you have that pass (you validate it by passing it over the scanner each time you get on a vaporetto) you can use the vaporettos to go anywhere around Venice or to any of the islands (such as Burano).

Hank

Hank, thank you for detail! That helps significantly. I'll be quite tired, so to know exactly what to do when I'm ready to leave the airport is very helpful. :D

Earl Rosebery is right. Happily, there's an alternative to the vaporetto, the Alilaguna, that does serve the airport. The Alilaguna Blue Line (Linea Blu) has stops at San Marco and the Maritime Cruise Terminal (with several in between). The Orange line (Linea Arancio) also goes between the airport and San Marco but makes a stop at Rialto.

Still, Quilting Cruiser has already gotten the best advice considering the Best Western Olimpia's location near Piazzale Roma: take a taxi. For other cruisers staying in hotels near San Marco or the other Blue or Orange line stops, the Alilaguna is a nice option if you want a water arrival that's less expensive than private water taxi.

Here's the link to the Alilaguna web page of the excellent "Venice for Visitors" web site: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_boat.htm

Thank you. Any idea how much a taxi will cost from the airport to the BW Olimpia? I'll want to make sure I have enough Euros to cover it. And, is it customary to tip cab drivers in Italy? How about the vaporetto pilots?

Thank you. Any idea how much a taxi will cost from the airport to the BW Olimpia? I'll want to make sure I have enough Euros to cover it. And, is it customary to tip cab drivers in Italy? How about the vaporetto pilots?

About 40 euros. Tips are not necessary but they probably expect 10% from Americans. Vaporetto pilot???? That would be like tipping an airline pilot.

The Alilaguna Blu line (the one that leaves the airport) would be an absolutely awful choice for getting to the Hotel Olimpia. The Blu line does not stop at the Piazale Roma (where the hotel is located) so one would have to use additional transportation modes to get to that hotel. And the Blu line is like the "slow boat to China" in that it takes over an hour to get from the airport to the Port (which is still nowhere near the Hotel).

For the Olimpia the choices are very simple, either the fast ATVO bus or a land taxi.

Hank

About 40 euros. Tips are not necessary but they probably expect 10% from Americans. Vaporetto pilot???? That would be like tipping an airline pilot.

Thank you.

What can I say. I'm an American. I tip those who provide a service. But, never an airline pilot. LOL. Seems he or she would be someone to tip since they perform a pretty important service!

The Alilaguna Blu line (the one that leaves the airport) would be an absolutely awful choice for getting to the Hotel Olimpia. The Blu line does not stop at the Piazale Roma (where the hotel is located) so one would have to use additional transportation modes to get to that hotel. And the Blu line is like the "slow boat to China" in that it takes over an hour to get from the airport to the Port (which is still nowhere near the Hotel).

For the Olimpia the choices are very simple, either the fast ATVO bus or a land taxi.

Hank

Thanks! It sounds like a taxi is going to be my best bet. I appreciate the advice.

Thank you.

What can I say. I'm an American. I tip those who provide a service. But, never an airline pilot. LOL. Seems he or she would be someone to tip since they perform a pretty important service!

The vaporettos are the city buses of Venice. That is a more accurate comparison. You would not even get near the pilot while trying to get off and on along with the crowd!

I'm guessing that this post is a response to my post (#33) but I don't understand the passion and detail spent trying to discredit the information I provided. Nowhere in the post do I recommend the Alilaguna for the person going to Best Western Olimpia. Quite the contrary. So I'm bewildered why each criticism of the Alilaguna option is expressed in terms of its negatives for a Piazzale Roma hotel.

However, cruisers other than those staying at the Piazzale Roma are reading this thread. Those cruisers are entitled to hear all the options. The Alilaguna, especially to San Marco area hotels, is an acceptable, cost-effective option. If the final leg of the journey -- wheeling the luggage to the hotel is too big a burden -- there are porter services that will meet people at either the Vaporetto (an option for train travelers) or Alilaguna (an option for plane travelers) piers. (For those interested in this service, ask your hotel for information and help.)

I've pretty much given up on private water taxis after two high-priced and unpleasant rides on two different trips to Venice. The first trip, we were supposed to be dropped off on the small canal that heads north from the Grand Canal near Campo San Moise. However, the water taxi took advantage of our novice status and dropped us where the small canal meets the Grand Canal with an airy wave saying, "Your hotel is there." Since the walking directions were from entirely different starting point, we got nowhere fast. We eventually went into a different hotel and got accurate directions. Any emotional high we had felt during the private taxi ride had evaporated when we realized the water taxi had failed to deliver us as agreed upon.

Another time, our hotel arranged for a water taxi ride on departure, but when the boat arrived alongside the quay we discovered it was unequipped to get us safely inside given the tide level. There were no steps at all quay-side and inadequate steps within the boat. The boat operator kept yelling at us to jump. His screaming attracted the attention of employees of our hotel. One brought a chair out from the hotel and place it quayside. That got us high enough that we could step up onto the gunwhale and jump down to the top stair within the water taxi. The hotel employee then handed our luggage to the water taxi driver.

Those two experiences were enough to make me eager to find an alternative -- which led us to the Alilaguna. Those piers are broad. There's wide plank between the pier and the boat. And there are a number of employees who spontaneously help everyone one and off with luggage.

For those who have had nothing but magic carpet experiences on a water taxi, I'm delighted for you. But I'm not a fan. I'm not sure I even agree with the label "slow boat to China" for cruisers staying in San Marco areas. But even if that's an accurate label, I'll take this option over inappropriately equipped water taxis manned by rude drivers who don't deliver as arranged.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I'm guessing that this post is a response to my post (#33) but I don't understand the passion and detail spent trying to discredit the information I provided. Nowhere in the post do I recommend the Alilaguna for the person going to Best Western Olimpia. Quite the contrary. So I'm bewildered why each criticism of the Alilaguna option is expressed in terms of its negatives for a Piazzale Roma hotel.

However, cruisers other than those staying at the Piazzale Roma are reading this thread. Those cruisers are entitled to hear all the options. The Alilaguna, especially to San Marco area hotels, is an acceptable, cost-effective option. If the final leg of the journey -- wheeling the luggage to the hotel is too big a burden -- there are porter services that will meet people at either the Vaporetto (an option for train travelers) or Alilaguna (an option for plane travelers) piers. (For those interested in this service, ask your hotel for information and help.)

I've pretty much given up on private water taxis after two high-priced and unpleasant rides on two different trips to Venice. The first trip, we were supposed to be dropped off on the small canal that heads north from the Grand Canal near Campo San Moise. However, the water taxi took advantage of our novice status and dropped us where the small canal meets the Grand Canal with an airy wave saying, "Your hotel is there." Since the walking directions were from entirely different starting point, we got nowhere fast. We eventually went into a different hotel and got accurate directions. Any emotional high we had felt during the private taxi ride had evaporated when we realized the water taxi had failed to deliver us as agreed upon.

Another time, our hotel arranged for a water taxi ride on departure, but when the boat arrived alongside the quay we discovered it was unequipped to get us safely inside given the tide level. There were no steps at all quay-side and inadequate steps within the boat. The boat operator kept yelling at us to jump. His screaming attracted the attention of employees of our hotel. One brought a chair out from the hotel and place it quayside. That got us high enough that we could step up onto the gunwhale and jump down to the top stair within the water taxi. The hotel employee then handed our luggage to the water taxi driver.

Those two experiences were enough to make me eager to find an alternative -- which led us to the Alilaguna. Those piers are broad. There's wide plank between the pier and the boat. And there are a number of employees who spontaneously help everyone one and off with luggage.

For those who have had nothing but magic carpet experiences on a water taxi, I'm delighted for you. But I'm not a fan. I'm not sure I even agree with the label "slow boat to China" for cruisers staying in San Marco areas. But even if that's an accurate label, I'll take this option over inappropriately equipped water taxis manned by rude drivers who don't deliver as arranged.

Oh, dear. Now I'm afraid to take a taxi! LOL. TBH, I didn't realize we were even discussing a water taxi--I just booked my cruise last week and have just begun my research; obviously, I have a lot more to do. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't get one of the pilots you had. Sheesh. It's a shame they were so rude and unhelpful to you.

Oh, dear. Now I'm afraid to take a taxi! LOL. TBH, I didn't realize we were even discussing a water taxi--I just booked my cruise last week and have just begun my research; obviously, I have a lot more to do. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't get one of the pilots you had. Sheesh. It's a shame they were so rude and unhelpful to you.

You're staying at the Best WEstern Olimpia, right? If so, you won't be going to your hotel via water taxi. There's a land connection for vehicle transportation to Piazzale Roma. That's one of the few places in Venice where ordinary land vehicles can travel. Sorry, things I've written have contributed to your confusion.

The unique nature of visiting Venice will soon become second nature. Just keep asking questions.

Take the easy way to get to the Olimpia, the ATVO (Marco Polo to P.Roma €6) coach and you are there in 20 minutes.

I second the ATVO bus !! We've used it several times ... so quick and easy, and cheap. They're like greyhound buses with a hold underneath for luggage. The buses load in front of the main doors at the aiport.( Read Hlitner's directions). ATVO leaves twice an hour, at 20 and 50 minutes past the hour. Just be sure to get on the bus to PRoma not Mestre. The will drop you in the middle of Piazzale Roma and your hotel is about a block away.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses_atvo.htm

You might want to buy Rick Steves Mediterranean cruise book to learn about the ports. In the meantime borrow a few travel books from the library to read up on Venice. Also, this web site is a wealth of information.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

I second the ATVO bus !! We've used it several times ... so quick and easy, and cheap. They're like greyhound buses with a hold underneath for luggage. The buses load in front of the main doors at the aiport.( Read Hlitner's directions). ATVO leaves twice an hour, at 20 and 50 minutes past the hour. Just be sure to get on the bus to PRoma not Mestre. The will drop you in the middle of Piazzale Roma and your hotel is about a block away.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses_atvo.htm

You might want to buy Rick Steves Mediterranean cruise book to learn about the ports. In the meantime borrow a few travel books from the library to read up on Venice. Also, this web site is a wealth of information.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

Thanks so much!

Already have guide books--I'm an obsessive planner. I drive my family crazy until we're on vacation and then they thank me constantly for doing so much research. :o

Already have guide books--I'm an obsessive planner. I drive my family crazy until we're on vacation and then they thank me constantly for doing so much research. :o

IMO at least half of the fun of any vacation is in the planning.