HAL's new online booking system?

jaguarstyper

I spoke with a HAL reservation agent this morning. I was trying to get some prices on varies cabins on the Zuiderdam. The reservation agent told me that I could see all this on the website – She had no idea that the information was not readily available anymore.

After I lodged a complaint about the website booking process, I was directed to her supervisor. She told me that there have been a lot of complaints about the website, but not enough complaints that HAL would actually do something about changing it. So please, everyone call HAL and complain!!

Today HAL have actually managed to post a message (in red) on the front page of their website, stating that they are currently experiencing technical difficulties with Cruise Bookings, and working to resolve the issue. Also apologising for the inconvenience.

Today HAL have actually managed to post a message (in red) on the front page of their website, stating that they are currently experiencing technical difficulties with Cruise Bookings, and working to resolve the issue. Also apologising for the inconvenience.

I'm sure they've been swamped with complaints. There have been comments on their facebook page too.

I've been watching our cruise on 16th Sept on Noordam, and the stateroom availability information varies as you get further into the booking proceeds. Currently, the first search page shows there are no Signature suites available, but when you get into the new booking pages, there is one room still shown as available.

The new system just seems to be set to frustrate, it appears that they no longer wish to have casual inquiries, only those who are determined to book with HAL.

Ho Hum, it's their business, so I'm sure they've market tested it to the hilt before launching.....Do you think ? :D

Ho Hum, it's their business, so I'm sure they've market tested it to the hilt before launching.....Do you think ? :D

They appear to be attempting to emulate the Carnival site. Their plan may have been to make booking easier for the newbie (one click and we will choose a cabin for you), but it is quite frustrating to seasoned cruisers who want specific cabin information.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Without the Stateroom Symbol Legend on the new site, how can anyone book a cabin and not be surprised at what they get? Sorry my symbols won't copy to here - but I think you get what I'm trying to say.)

• Triple (2 lower beds, 1 sofa bed)
  • Quad (2 lower beds, 1 sofa bed, 1 upper)
  • Shower Only
  • Bathtub and Shower
  • Connecting rooms
  • Staterooms with portholes instead of windows
  • Partial sea view
  • Fully obstructed view

I just checked into a cruise for next year, and the available cabins and locations came up OK, but on the deck plan the cabins were different colours - with no legend to show what the colours mean. I had to click into each to see the price difference. No idea if they were VA,VB, etc etc. And no symbols to show if adjoining or shower only.

This "improvement" is one huge bust, as far as I can tell, and I have spent a lot of time on the booking site.

We are currently booked for a December sailing on the Eurodam. I really can't see a problem with the website when I navigate around. Maybe because we are already booked?

We have two cruises booked, am unable to access either.

The "This is a legal agreement" page is as far as I can progress on the site.

The website stinks, not intuitive at all and I got to the point in a booking where personal information is required without seeing the cost with taxes. I will check prices and book elsewhere, that may be what Holland America is hoping for.

The front page of the HAL website no longer has the message that they are working on the website.

Am still unable to progress past the "This is a legal agreement" page, so the pricing of the various stateroom categories remains a secret.

It stinks, it sucks, it is crap. Not sure how else to describe it. Anyhoo, I recently sent emails to Social Media and to Guest Relations at HAL, and here is the first response (from "Kayla").

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. We appreciate your comments and feedback regarding our new design for the booking system. We sincerely apologize for the frustration you have experienced. We have forwarded your email to our web design team. They collect and review all guest feedback to make improvements with the design.

Again, we apologize for any frustration this has caused.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Holland America Line hopes to welcome you onboard in the future.

Without the Stateroom Symbol Legend on the new site, how can anyone book a cabin and not be surprised at what they get? Sorry my symbols won't copy to here - but I think you get what I'm trying to say.)

• Triple (2 lower beds, 1 sofa bed)
  • Quad (2 lower beds, 1 sofa bed, 1 upper)
  • Shower Only
  • Bathtub and Shower
  • Connecting rooms
  • Staterooms with portholes instead of windows
  • Partial sea view
  • Fully obstructed view

As soon the the itinerary details page comes up there is a deck plan button on the left side. It is between itinerary button and the dining and onboard activities button. Click on this deck plan button and you can chose any deck to see the cabin numbers complete with the stateroom legend.

We have two cruises booked, am unable to access either.

The "This is a legal agreement" page is as far as I can progress on the site.

Where is the "This is a legal agreement" page? I haven't seen it and I have been doing "dummy bookings".

Are you trying to see your allready booked cruises through the Plan a Cruise button or have you created an account, gone into your account and gone through the My reservations button?

I have had no problem seeing my booked cruises when I go through my account to my reservations.

The taxes are listed on the first page when you pull up the general cruise schedule. The basic price for the 4 or 5 room categories are listed and right under that, to the left, is the tax amount. You see that before you even click the "details" button to take you into the booking sequence. They are just presenting the info in a different way than we are used to seeing. I found it easy to navigate. You are choosing by actual room location and given a price for that. The old way, you chose a price by a letter category and then had to go to the deck plan to see where rooms with that letter were located. This just presents the prices by location rather than letter categories.

I guess I am the Lone Ranger here, but I don't see a problem. Just takes getting used to. And I like the fact that if you enter your mariner# it fills in a lot of info they have on file for you.

If this issue continues and you are a shareholder of Carnival Corporation, may I suggest a polite but pointed letter about your issues/concerns be directed to the CEO, Mr. Arnold Donald, the Chairman, Mr. Micky Arison, and the Lead Director of the Board of Directors for CCL. A cc ought to also be sent to Mr. Kruse.

I sent such letters a few years ago concerning an issue that I had with the marketing changes that I saw with Carnival Cruise Lines. It did some good. My letters were answered by the Senior Vice-President of Marketing and the changes did take place, although it did take some time for that to happen.

I am of the opinion that my letter to the Lead Director of Carnival Corporation had more impact than the others.

Well I had another goodie tonight. I tried to do a dummy booking on the NA for a 14-day trip in March. Every time I got into the booking process the ship changed to the Eurodam. I tried this several times today. At this point, I'll just wait awhile. When the system is fixed I'll do a price check and decide if I want to call my PCC and book. Ugh.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Well I had another goodie tonight. I tried to do a dummy booking on the NA for a 14-day trip in March. Every time I got into the booking process the ship changed to the Eurodam. I tried this several times today. At this point, I'll just wait awhile. When the system is fixed I'll do a price check and decide if I want to call my PCC and book. Ugh.

Oh my, I do believe that's a first. The website must have REALLY wanted you on the Eurodam.....LOL

As soon the the itinerary details page comes up there is a deck plan button on the left side. It is between itinerary button and the dining and onboard activities button. Click on this deck plan button and you can chose any deck to see the cabin numbers complete with the stateroom legend.

Nope. Tried it. Not there.

Where is the "This is a legal agreement" page? I haven't seen it and I have been doing "dummy bookings".

Are you trying to see your allready booked cruises through the Plan a Cruise button or have you created an account, gone into your account and gone through the My reservations button?

I have had no problem seeing my booked cruises when I go through my account to my reservations.

At the front page of the HAL website, I select Destination, Date and Search.

Then for instance I click on a 14 night Australia/New Zealand cruise.

Clicking the green Details button, opens to the page with coloured photos of the stateroom categories, and basic prices.

Clicking the green Continue button opens to the "This is a Legal Agreement" page, clicking the Accept button opens to the blank blue page.

That is the total amount of information for which ever cruise I try to find pricing for.