Laffnvegas and others have piqued my curiosity.....

sail7seas

Absolutely,

Having friends who are thoughtful and kind enough to invite me to join them is everything. Which ship and which cabin is of so little significance in comparison to having wonderful friends.

My friends are more apt to take a large suite than not. I know the few times the 'her' in the couple sailed NCL, she had a Haven very large suite and loved it but I think you are right it could be the Dawn. You are also right I far prefer mid-ship. Why do they put the best cabins forward? Isn't that counter-intuitive?

Thank you for the advice about the "SE". I know nothing about NCL so will have lots of questions if I continue to consider booking with them.

Why don't you go ask on the NCL board, I'm sure they'd be very helpful.

The Sound of Music quote is: "when God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window."

I suggest you think of the NCL cruise as a completely different experience. It will be. The pluses will be to be with your friends, to have some happiness in your life after your loss, to experience something new, the very friendly and exciting aspects of Freestyle, and to be at sea again. The negatives are the desserts, the hull art, and the color combos. One list: long, the other list: short and ultimately trivial. The Dawn is my least favorite cruise ship but I still had an excellent time- and so will you.

There is a quote about living after the loss of an immediate relative- it's something like "just live until you can be alive again." Going on this NCL cruise will help you tick off some more time in the "just living" category until you feel yourself coming out of the mourning period.

I agree that getting away from CC will ease the mind. Plus: just THINK of the review you'll write when you get back ;).

We have quite a few days on NCL and have friends that have sailed on them.

We stopped sailing on them when they went "Freestyle" -- no traditional dining -- wear what you want -- you don't have to dress up for dinner.

But I do agree with others -- go with your friends -- try something new. Who knows -- maybe you will like NCL.

Most regulars here know I've not sailed another cruise line than HAL for a great many years. I had no interest in looking or booking elsewhere from HAL until today.

I have read with interest and admittedly a bit of puzzlement when Lisa and others rave about NCL. I hate the graffiti mess they paint all over their ships and have never considered sailing them.

THEN, today, friends knowing I won't cruise alone in the immediate future, invited me to join them for a NCL cruise that really appeals to me. I like where and how we would board, they are very, very good friends I'd be comfortable sailing with (as DH and sailed with them at least 3-4 times in the past) and I'm actually giving it some thought. it isn't for a while so I'll have time to adjust to the idea of being solo after always sailing with my DH but I am a little interested to see for myself about NCL.

Wow, I never thought I'd post something like this. :eek:

Anyone think I'd be making a huge mistake to go? I think the ship might be Dream but I'm not sure. I need a verandah but certainly not a family suite. If I go, what is the minimum balcony cabin I'd be okay with seeing I'm used to "S" and "SA"cabins? I don't need a ton of space but won't be satisfied with cramped either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I actually think that your first time cruising since the passing of your DH would be better for you on a line the 2 of you have not cruised with before.

I feel that the memories of the good times you had with HAL togther might be a bit overwhelming to you AND might make you miserable because you'd be constantly thinking of your husband.............

I think a cruise with friends on the NCL would work better the first time back to sea, to be followed a month or so later with a return to HAL..........

Just my opinion........

Joanie

Hi OP

My last HAL sails were in the early 2000's in suites on Zuiderdam. Life interferes and fast forward to three years ago when I was able to cruise again, but have elderly parents I take care of. We live just south of Boston and have always loved Bermuda, so now we've done 3 sailings on the Dawn. In the last one, my partner and I stayed in SF 10228 - aft penthouse with large balcony. We had both butler and concierge service with the cabin. There is no concierge lounge per se, similar to what Zuiderdam has, but our butler could not do enough for us, and our cabin steward was seemingly psychic. Since I gather you would be traveling solo, I think this cabin would be perfect for you. Plenty of room, but not too much room, if that makes any sense. The bathroom is smaller than what the Zuiderdam offers. You might want to check out a youtube video of the next door cabin 10226 to see what it looks like.

You will be able to eat at Cagney's, a special restaurant reserved just for suite pax at breakfast and lunch. Make use of the specialty restaurants. Try to travel when children are back in school. I think you could enjoy your trip VERY much!

Please feel free to ask any questions if you think of any. Just a little about my cruising history - started in '92 and have sailed Princess, NCL, HAL, NCL, and the now defunct Majesty cruise line.

From my office I see an NCL ship set sail for Bermuda every Friday in the summer. Like you I'm kind of turned off by the cartoonish mess painted on the sides but I think, you can't see it when you're on the ship, should we? So far we haven't taken the bait but what could be more convenient than sailing to and from Boston? If you did decide to sail them it would be great to hear about your experience as we have only sailed HAL and Celebrity. It does look tempting.

Absolutely,

Having friends who are thoughtful and kind enough to invite me to join them is everything. Which ship and which cabin is of so little significance in comparison to having wonderful friends.

I so agree! I also think it would be good for you to go and though I didn't know your DH, I'm sure he would want you to go as well.

When approached by friends to "think about" joining them on a cruise this Oct. I said "I don't have to think about it...I' would love to come!"

Marge

Sail

So happy to hear you are considering a cruise with friends. I say go . Talk to your friends , read up on line. Find the best match (cabinwise ) they have to what you are used on HAL.

Is sailing solo going to be the same as sailing with DH, of course not. Will sailing NCL be the same as sailing HAL ? Probably not.

But that doesn't mean you can't go and find things you like and enjoy. Worst case scenario ...you never sail NCL again.

I agree with a few posters it is good you take your first solo cruise with another line. You have been on so many HAL ships and know so many crew. There will be a lot of memories . Make a fresh start this time , get your solo "sea legs" first

However the cruise turns out, it is still a good thing. It is the first step in getting out the door and back into things.

My mom had a lot of good friends that got her up and out after my dad died and my sisters and I were so thankful. It was tough at first, but one step at a time.

Go and enjoy :)

In the last one, my partner and I stayed in SF 10228 - aft penthouse with large balcony. We had both butler and concierge service with the cabin. There is no concierge lounge per se, similar to what Zuiderdam has, but our butler could not do enough for us, and our cabin steward was seemingly psychic. Since I gather you would be traveling solo, I think this cabin would be perfect for you. Plenty of room, but not too much room, if that makes any sense.

I was just going to recommend this class of cabin. On the last cruise (actually a b2b when the Dawn was sailing out of New York) I took with my late husband before he was too sick to cruise was in the corresponding cabin on the port side: 10728 (category SF). And I was going to say exactly the same thing: it's roomy, but cozy, too.

As a new widow, some of the best advice I received was to try new things I did not do or would not have done with my husband, so I agree that when you are ready to cruise, a new line may be just the thing.

I wish you the best.

Carol Louise

Sail, I echo other's suggestions about giving NCL a try.

We had some friends who wanted to take a Canary Island cruise out of Barcelona. We had never sailed NCL and were a little apprehensive.

I have to say we really enjoyed ourselves. You will notice a more upbeat vibe in the evenings, which I don't think will be such a bad thing. I would encourage you to try out the great variety of specialty dining venues. Le Bistro is our favorite, but we've also enjoyed Cagney's and Moderno. We prefer the speciality venues over the dining room, but we always dine in the MDR a few times. The first night on board on most ships is lobster night in the MDR.

Our first NCL cruise was in a mini suite. Our second we moved up to a suite, which was a great choice. We were in an aft (SE) suite and I think it would be perfect for you. They really spoil you. Breakfast in Cagney's, similar to PG on HAL.

I hope you give NCL some consideration. It will be something new for you. Be sure to get one of the smaller suites, you won't regret it! :D

Actually,I was looking at NCL today for Alaska - although I know HAL does well there. Would be very interested to hear your thoughts - you could be our trailblazer!

Quite frankly if you're going to do a pre or post-cruise land package, I would sail with Princess - they own Alaska.

I think you should go. There is a possibility you may not like the cruise line, but you will be "on vacation" and spending time with friends, which is the most important thing. It will be a different experience, but that is what life is all about, learning and experiencing new things......

Go for it!!!.......JMHO. :)

I think it would be a wise move to do your first solo cruise with friends AND on a vessel/line that doesn't have memories in every corner.

Everything will be new to you, which will be a good thing since sailing solo will also be new.

Take a very deep breath and do it!

We have found significant differences between NCL ships...just as we have on HAL.

There are some NCL ships that we will avoid. Star being one of them.

It is always good to try other cruise lines. But do your homework, read the reviews and the boards so that you select a ship that is the closest match. We do this with all cruise lines.

Judy, I think that you would have a wonderful time on NCL. The most important thing is that you are with friends that you are very comfortable with, and the people are a big part of enjoying a ship. We cruised NCL for years, and we are looking at a cruise on NCL in the future.

Oh Sail, I just saw this thread been so busy working both jobs just have not had as much time to read CC.

I think it is a wonderful idea. If it is the Dawn you are looking at we sailed on her out of Tampa almost 2 yrs ago and really liked her a lot. Like others have stated I think you would really like the category SF. Definitely Deck 10 and we were in 10728. I think that NCL is enough of a change that will be good yet you will find the service and the crew to be so much like HAL and maybe even more so like it was about 8 to 10 yrs ago. The size of the ship and number of passengers is very much like a Vista or Signature Class ship. And Entertainment I think you will be WOWed to coin a phrase RCI uses :D Our next cruise is on the Jewel in November out of Houston, then we are planning to return to the NCL Jewel in Oct 2015 when she goes to her new Home Port in Los Angeles. But we do have one HAL cruise booked next May and in all honesty the ONLY reason we are going is to see a good friend we have not seen in a couple of years. If it was not for that I would be booking NCL. If we find out before Final he will not be on board most likely we will change to NCL :o After our Next cruise we will be Platinum with NCL. You get Double credits for Booking Suites and and triple if you book 9 months or more out from the sailing date so we have been fortunately enough to rack up our points and move up their Past Passenger program fast.

I have had the chance to try a few cruise lines and truly NCL is the only one that reminds me of HAL yet different. They do Past Passengers parties the way HAL use to. The VIP Parties are the same. I LOVE the in Suite Espresso/Coffee maker and Lavazza coffee. I for one totally enjoy not bringing formal wear for my vacation. We enjoy the various restaurants with our favorite being Le Bistro. But have had some amazing meals int he Main Dining Room.

Our first two NCL cruises we went on them with Low Expectations the first time was just a two day and took our son. I remember telling him numerous times now this is not going to be like how we brag about how great HAL is. All three of us were amazed. So the second cruise which was a 7 day we went again thinking the first was just a fluke and were even more amazed. That cruise we were Invited to Dine with the Captain in Le Bistro and just every moment of that cruise was special. The two after that were all great which is why we keep going back.

We have some good friends we travel with that have cruised with us on HAL and now also love NCL.

;) I know it sounds like I am trying to oversell it but I think this really is good move for all the reasons others have mentioned. Going with close friends, yet doing something different that will not bring back a flood of emotions yet doing something you love will be a great first step in cruising solo.

Why don't you go ask on the NCL board, I'm sure they'd be very helpful.

I ask here because I 'know' so many posters and information they provide has more meaning to me as I have a feel for the opinions they have expressed in the past. It's so much more valuable when you know something about the folks providing the information but I surely will visit the NCL Board and do lots of reading there. How better to get to know the NCL posters? :)

I'm so appreciative for all these supportive posts. It encourages me to think I'll be able to do this.

The truth of the matter is I have placed a deposit on a cruise for early winter on HAL with two other couples with whom I have a deep friendship. They're the closest to family there is. I am very reluctant to go forward on that cruise and think it very iffy I'll be ready to cruise then. Final payment is a way off, thankfully, so I don't have to decide now.

I am overwhelmed with how thoughtful and kind my friends have been in helping me along and to think there are three couples who have included me in their plans is priceless.

The NCL cruise seems more doable for all the reasons kind posters here have given. All the memories of DH and I'll see him everywhere. I'll see him in my suite, on the verandah, at the dinner table. I'm not sure I can do that. Seeing we are now into August, I am realizing early winter will be too soon.

NCL is sounding very do-able and I'll wait to learn more about this ship from our friends and the specific date etc but I think I'm going to book it. I'm sorry to hear Dawn may be NCL's 'worst' ship but honestly this is a case, for me, when the actual ship is not as important as it usually would be. I'll be with friends I love and who will make it possible for me to cruise again.

I cannot thank them and all of you enough for being so supportive.

Judy, I'd give NCL a try with your friends if I were you. As a matter of fact I'm looking into an NCL cruise for Sept. 2015. Just waiting to hear back from my TA who said they may have a sale coming up this Sept. Also waiting for the brochure as I am not familiar with their newer ships. I've been a widow for 16 years and quite frankly, getting bored with HAL. Believe I'll be better entertained on NCL. Many years ago, Fred & I did a 21 day cruise from LA to New York. Got invited to Captain's Table, the Bridge while transiting the Panama Canal and a Cocktail Party in the Captain's Quarters to name a few of the lovely perks. Go for it. I do know what you are going through.:)