This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

Sorry, but I don't really get it. A "vape" is intended to be an alternative to actual cigarettes without the carcinogens. But why does it have to look like a cigarette?

All that does is create the opportunity for anti-smoking activists to jump into action with the waving and coughing act.

It would seem that the "vape" effect would be the same even if the "vape" was colored green or yellow without a red spot presumably to simulate the ember at the end of a real cigarette.

I know what you are saying.

But actually the reason I tried that particular brand was because (not so much that it looked like an actual cigarette ) but it was small .

Some of them are like long glass tubes. some are little square things with a piece you inhale. One is a black metal thing. Some you have to plug in. I didn't care for any of them.

I didn't want to fuss with all the juice and flavors and what not. I didn't enjoy smoking all these years because it tasted like mint , or bubble gum, or strawberry. I liked it because it tasted like Marlboro *LOL*

Like I said this brand has really helped keep me off the real ones, but like you said it's an easy target for the cigarette patrol.

Mine looks NOTHING like a cigarette. There is a small button about halfway down the device that activates the atomizer that glows white when pressed. Over the last five years no one has ever said a word. Much ado is made of it HERE, but not in real life.

Yeah I "smoke" mine in the house and it doesn't bother anyone, even in the car with non smokers.

I try and vape the same I would smoke a regular cigarette . I don't say "Hey I am only vaping so I can use it twice as much as I smoke. I eventually want to get off e cigs and be done with it. So I really haven't done it in the FORBIDDEN places yet. If I get to the point where I can get away with it at the store, at work, etc ...I will be vapng longer than I was smoking

Yeah I "smoke" mine in the house and it doesn't bother anyone, even in the car with non smokers.

I try and vape the same I would smoke a regular cigarette . I don't say "Hey I am only vaping so I can use it twice as much as I smoke. I eventually want to get off e cigs and be done with it. So I really haven't done it in the FORBIDDEN places yet. If I get to the point where I can get away with it at the store, at work, etc ...I will be vapng longer than I was smoking

Understood. OTH, I switched long before they were available in stores so am used to buying that way. And it is MUCH cheaper.

Sorry, but I don't really get it. A "vape" is intended to be an alternative to actual cigarettes without the carcinogens. But why does it have to look like a cigarette?

All that does is create the opportunity for anti-smoking activists to jump into action with the waving and coughing act.

Let them start the coughing act and then mention to them they really should see a doctor about that horrible cough. When they start to blame your "smoke" you can tell them it is only water vapor not smoke so it's not you causing their cough. They will quickly leave you alone, embarrassed. :o

Let them start the coughing act and then mention to them they really should see a doctor about that horrible cough. When they start to blame your "smoke" you can tell them it is only water vapor not smoke so it's not you causing their cough. They will quickly leave you alone, embarrassed. :o

I have never been near someone smoking an e-cigarette so don't know first hand. However, I asked above if they give off a scent given many flavors have been mentioned. The answer was a (qualified) yes. That scent could be an irritant to the person you suggest should be embarrassed. It is common in smoking threads to divert the conversation away from smoking on verandahs to people wearing too much perfume. :D The claim being some smokers are bothered by the perfume.

I have never been near someone smoking an e-cigarette so don't know first hand. However, I asked above if they give off a scent given many flavors have been mentioned. The answer was a (qualified) yes. That scent could be an irritant to the person you suggest should be embarrassed. It is common in smoking threads to divert the conversation away from smoking on verandahs to people wearing too much perfume. :D The claim being some smokers are bothered by the perfume.

Smoking, perfumes, colognes, and many other scented products contain numerous carcinogenic chemicals, neurotoxins, respiratory irritants, solvents, aldehydes, etc. The great majority of people I worked with did not smoke but many (because of their diagnosis) had issues, mostly indoors, with perfume and smoke. Regardless of smoking vs nonsmoking, could one factor be that some people are more sensitive to smoke while others are more sensitive to other irritants? I also have not been in the company of anyone who uses an e-cig but some cruise lines that do not allow balcony smoking also do not allow the use of e-cigs on the balcony.

Edited by qsuzi

I didn't read anything here I would call a qualified yes to a scent or irritant given off by those who use a flavored e-cigarette. In fact the replies were the opposite. Did anyone say anyone nearby would be bothered much less have a coughing fit? Not even in a car. And not everyone uses anything flavored anyway. If they do it's a mild flavor they can taste, not a scent given off in the vapor from what I've experienced from people vaping right in front of me and from what posters who vape here say.

I didn't read anything here I would call a qualified yes to a scent or irritant given off by those who use a flavored e-cigarette. In fact the replies were the opposite. Did anyone say anyone nearby would be bothered much less have a coughing fit? Not even in a car. And not everyone uses anything flavored anyway. If they do it's a mild flavor they can taste, not a scent given off in the vapor from what I've experienced from people vaping right in front of me and from what posters who vape here say.

Makes my head spin.

I don't feel like looking back a page or two to find where I asked the question and it was answered.

Doesn't matter. Who cares? :D

I don't feel like looking back a page or two to find where I asked the question and it was answered.

Doesn't matter. Who cares? :D

You do, apparently, as you asked the question:cool:

Edited by chrispb

I think I'm only allowed to ask this here, so here's my quick poll: How many people would have a problem with Hal selling only the last half of the balconies on one side to smokers?

As long as some/any balconies allow it there is going to be a war over it. Rip the bandage off, the sting hurts the most but goes away sooner

I think I'm only allowed to ask this here, so here's my quick poll: How many people would have a problem with Hal selling only the last half of the balconies on one side to smokers?

I DO NOT have a problem with trying that idea.

As I have told you before, that idea will never work. Never. On a ship like Prinsendam, only a small percentage smoke. I would also surmise that on ships that sail in more exotic locations with higher prices, less people smoke than on the Caribbean itinteraries. What is HAL going to do with the leftover smoking cabins, if they aren't filled???? I wouldn't want to be stuck there. They would have to lower the prices to entice non smoking people to book there. Also, what happens when they start upgrading people? Will those leftover smoking cabins sell at a bargain rate?

It does not make sense. Sorry. Also, on ships that have aft balconies, those cabins go ASAP. Those people don't want to be stuck with smokers either and I really doubt HAL would hold those premium cabins for smokers. I am sympathetic to smokers, because I was one once. But, not sympathetic enough to feel they need a special area, other than a special room or outside part of the ship. They can quit like the rest of us former smokers, if it's causing a problem for them booking cruises. It's hard, but it can be done.

I'd be fine with this but I don't think it would work. There are the perpetual moaners who always want "that" cabin which would inevitably be in the smoking area.

I'd be fine with this but I don't think it would work. There are the perpetual moaners who always want "that" cabin which would inevitably be in the smoking area.

Those perpetual moaners :rolleyes: may have a very legitimate reason for wanting a specific cabin. My DH and I sailed Maasdam about 35 times and a great many of those cruises were in the same cabin. That is 'home' to us. I would resent being told I can't book that cabin as it is reserved for smokers.

On the other hand, I willingly agreed I would not make a 'stink' about it as sometimes it's just easier to give in than to fight with people with whom I'll never agree. Besides the description of the location where the poster was reserving those smoking cabins are an area I would not opt for without a particular reason.

But you can be sure, I'd have really negative feelings if I had to move to a different cabin for that reason.

Edited by sail7seas

Those perpetual moaners :rolleyes: may have a very legitimate reason for wanting a specific cabin. My DH and I sailed Maasdam about 35 times and a great many of those cruises were in the same cabin. That is 'home' to us. I would resent being told I can't book that cabin as it is reserved for smokers.

On the other hand, I willingly agreed I would not make a 'stink' about it as sometimes it's just easier to give in than to fight with people with whom I'll never agree. Besides the description of the location where the poster was reserving those smoking cabins are an area I would not opt for without a particular reason.

But you can be sure, I'd have really negative feelings if I had to move to a different cabin for that reason.

The cabin would not be reserved for smokers, it would be available to all but the non-smokers would have to accept that they may have smoking neighbours.

If you wanted to guarantee a non-smoking neighbour, book early - last minute booking and you take your chances (just like noise/location/obstructed views etc.). It is not difficult - depends on your priorities.

You should ignore comments about "moaners". That was a childish remark and isn't worthy of your response.

Smokers are now entering the negotiation stage, which is the third stage in dealing with grief and another step closer to acceptance of the shortly inevitable.

You should ignore comments about "moaners". That was a childish remark and isn't worthy of your response.

Smokers are now entering the negotiation stage, which is the third stage in dealing with grief and another step closer to acceptance of the shortly inevitable.

Interesting observation....... certainly gives pause for thought. I hadn't looked at it that way so thank you. :)

The cabin would not be reserved for smokers, it would be available to all but the non-smokers would have to accept that they may have smoking neighbours.

If you wanted to guarantee a non-smoking neighbour, book early - last minute booking and you take your chances (just like noise/location/obstructed views etc.). It is not difficult - depends on your priorities.

Non smokers would have to accept they may have smoking neighbors? How many do you think would do that, unless they got a great deal on that cabin in the smoking section? HAL would end up losing money.

I agree with the poster talking about the stages of grief....negotiating. It is only a matter of time for HAL to decide to do what the other lines are doing. Most other lines initiated a no wine policy before HAL. HAL is a little slow, but they will get with the program in time.

Non smokers would have to accept they may have smoking neighbors? How many do you think would do that, unless they got a great deal on that cabin in the smoking section?

Right now, every nonsmoker who books a balcony accepts that he or she may have smoking neighbors. Why not designate one side of the ship for nonsmokers--it's better than the current arrangement.

Non smokers would have to accept they may have smoking neighbors? How many do you think would do that, unless they got a great deal on that cabin in the smoking section? HAL would end up losing money.

I agree with the poster talking about the stages of grief....negotiating. It is only a matter of time for HAL to decide to do what the other lines are doing. Most other lines initiated a no wine policy before HAL. HAL is a little slow, but they will get with the program in time.

If a 'half-and-half' arrangement were instigated then all parties would have a choice (albeit with limitations but then that is life). Book early get a guaranteed non-smoking area - as a smoker book early and get a guaranteed smoking balcony.

If one wants a certain cabin/location/amenity, you book early and probably pay a bit extra. Last minute booking = less/no cabin choice and you take your chance with noise/smoking/obstructed views etc..

It depends on how important a particular cabin 'feature' is to you.

I'm sure that HAL could run the numbers and figure out whether 'half-and-half' works or 'one quarter-three quarters' works for them - NB works for THEM not for you:rolleyes:.

Right now, every nonsmoker who books a balcony accepts that he or she may have smoking neighbors. Why not designate one side of the ship for nonsmokers--it's better than the current arrangement.

It may appear to be better than the current arrangement, but people want to choose their cabin and the side of ship they prefer. HAL will ban smoking in time. If they wanted to accomodate smokers and non smokers, they would have designated a smoking area of the ship, long before anyone brought it up here. I am sure they have people who have hashed over this issue. We booked an SY on Prinsendam well over a year ahead of time. There was ONE cabin in a quiet location that we could get. ONE. What if that were on the supposed smoking side? We wouldn't have been able to book that category, because for sure we would have been exposed to lots of smoke, because perhaps the only quiet cabins were on the designated smoking side. Now...most of us just take our chances, and it appears most of us have been lucky. There are not that many smokers. It would be ridiculous to allot one side to smokers. This is what HAL could do.....if a person was bothered by a person who refused to share the balcony time and was openly rude about it, HAL could offer future OBC. OBC to the cooperative smoker....OBC to the people who had to suffer next to a rude smoker. I'd be happy with a wine package, as well! It wouldn't have to be much, but it might sweeten the deal a little. I'm OK....I am sure HAL will ban smoking in a year---two at the most.