Best Carnival Excursion in San Juan?

MrBanana1240

Beyond excited for our cruise in November, especially San Juan. I was wondering the best CCL excursion there is from your experiences. Or just some must-see things in San Juan. Really want to make this day unforgettable. Thanks guys!

Future cruises:

•Carnival Glory- 11/22/14- Eastern Caribbean

•Enchantment of the Seas- 08/10/15- Bahamas

Past Cruises:

•Carnival Pride- 11/20/10- Bahamas

•Carnival Pride- 11/21/11- Bahamas

•Enchantment of the Seas- 11/17/12- Bahamas

•Carnival Glory- 08/10/13- Canada

•Carnival Glory- 11/24/13- Western Caribbean

•Carnival Freedom- 04/13/14- Western Caribbean

We've been in San Juan twice since 2010. In 2010, we were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Glory with a 7AM - 3PM stop in San Juan. We booked a zip line excursion through Carnival on that trip. We had a couple of hours before we met for the excursion, so we walked up to Castillo San Cristobal but didn't go in, we just walked around on the grassy are for views of the ocean. We browsed through Old San Juan on the way back. We enjoyed the zip line and would recommend it, but there is so much to see and do, so that would all depend on what you are interested in. We definitely thought it was fun. Would we do it again? Probably not, been there done that. There are so many other things to see and do in San Juan that we'd like to experience.

Last year we were on Carnival Valor on a Southern itinerary out of San Juan. Valor sailed away from San Juan at 10:00PM and we flew down a day before. After getting on Valor around 12:30PM and waiting till our cabin was ready to drop off our carry-ons, we got back off the ship and spent a few hours up at Fort El Morro. We really enjoyed that but still didn't see as much of it as we'd have liked to. The views from the top are beautiful. We went over to Castillo San Cristobal again, just to get pictures of Valor in port from there.

I have seen other reviews where someone has gone to El Yunque rainforest, and that also looks like something I'd like to do. There are also some nice beaches on the eastern side of Puerto Rico but I'm not sure how long it takes to get there. People who have reviewed about that have gone down a couple days early or stayed a couple of days after a cruise leaving out of San Juan. DH and I stayed at a hotel in Isla Verde Beach, right near the airport and 20 minutes from the cruise center. We enjoyed an afternoon at Isla Verde Beach and were impressed with it.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope your day in San Juan is unforgettable.

We've been in San Juan twice since 2010. In 2010, we were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Glory with a 7AM - 3PM stop in San Juan. We booked a zip line excursion through Carnival on that trip. We had a couple of hours before we met for the excursion, so we walked up to Castillo San Cristobal but didn't go in, we just walked around on the grassy are for views of the ocean. We browsed through Old San Juan on the way back. We enjoyed the zip line and would recommend it, but there is so much to see and do, so that would all depend on what you are interested in. We definitely thought it was fun. Would we do it again? Probably not, been there done that. There are so many other things to see and do in San Juan that we'd like to experience.

Last year we were on Carnival Valor on a Southern itinerary out of San Juan. Valor sailed away from San Juan at 10:00PM and we flew down a day before. After getting on Valor around 12:30PM and waiting till our cabin was ready to drop off our carry-ons, we got back off the ship and spent a few hours up at Fort El Morro. We really enjoyed that but still didn't see as much of it as we'd have liked to. The views from the top are beautiful. We went over to Castillo San Cristobal again, just to get pictures of Valor in port from there.

I have seen other reviews where someone has gone to El Yunque rainforest, and that also looks like something I'd like to do. There are also some nice beaches on the eastern side of Puerto Rico but I'm not sure how long it takes to get there. People who have reviewed about that have gone down a couple days early or stayed a couple of days after a cruise leaving out of San Juan. DH and I stayed at a hotel in Isla Verde Beach, right near the airport and 20 minutes from the cruise center. We enjoyed an afternoon at Isla Verde Beach and were impressed with it.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope your day in San Juan is unforgettable.

Wow. Thanks so much! I was looking into El Morro, so thanks for pointing it out! Glad you had fun! Thanks (:

Future cruises:

Past Cruises:

Beyond excited for our cruise in November, especially San Juan. I was wondering the best CCL excursion there is from your experiences. Or just some must-see things in San Juan. Really want to make this day unforgettable. Thanks guys!

Future cruises:

Past Cruises:

We have been on cruises departing San Juan five times and once a port visit.

I would highly recommend segwaytourspr.com for either a 45 minute or two hour tour of Old San Juan. We were in our early fifties, and never had been on Segways prior to the tour, they give each rider a personal five minute training session to make sure you can turn,move,stop etc.. First few minutes I was unsure, but after just ten minutes comfortable weaving between street cones, a narrow path and by time we got to the fort off roading it! I was also able to take photos and some video as I moved on Segway. It is a husband & wife owned company, located in a dock terminal near the Carnival ship. A very easy walk from ship maybe 5-10 minutes max. Very small personal groups, great value. If "Subway" sandwich is still there on waterfront,, it is in that building, down step to the left, the office faces waterfront and can see the ship on the left.

We did the two hour tour and wanted to do it all again right away it was so enjoyable. If you follow near the front, you have a very good spot to listen to guide of historic Old San Juan and found the story of Old San Juan narrowest house a great tidbit, and nothing beats going up to El Morro on a Segway vs a very long walk uphill. The guide also stops a lot for narration and photo stops. Well worth it and two hours wasn't long enough!

The website has two hour tours at 10,1 and four and shorter tours I am not sure of timing.

Other things to do in San Juan - walk from ship shopping (wear comfortable shoes), I'd recommend closed toe as some cobblestone bricks and sidewalk areas uneven and can stub a toe, and did I mention it seems whole city is uphill? San Cristobal fort is something like $3 and great views and not too bad to get to. Be sure to walk along water and grassy area too. If you are running low, CVS is just to the left of Senior Frogs to carry water/soda back. We calculated. 45 min round trip cabin to CVS and back to cabin. If one moves more uphill and to the left one of favorite shops is Ole a true Panama hat store.Authentic in quality of Latino or South American only, genuine people that run it and custom fit. Not cheap at all, but the finest intricate weaving you will see. It is at 105 Fort Cateleza, and when walking ask where the narrowest house is ( it is on waterfront, near a park with great elevated views of ship.) Most likely there should be in central main area a small local craft market , the horse carriages for hire and some food vendor trucks near the yellow tourism building. We purchased a few hand painted wall hanging tiles about 5 x7" made from The local clay, and hand painted and glazed with flowers,frogs,religious cross, hibiscus etc. all for under ten dollars, very unique and great gifts.

If you do manage to walk to el Morro fort, kite flying is a past time (we brought a cheap one but would get better string for the wind next time) and donated it after to a local family. There is an amazing cemetery with the most gorgeous marble work on the shore, you can easily walk down to it. Sounds maybe creepy, but after a bit, you are in awe of the artistry of 10 foot statues and carvings that make great photos with an ocean background.

I love el Yunque rainforest, but if I found correct info and you dock at 1pm, would be too late for a tour to get there.

I wouldn't do any excursions from this port. Old San Jaun can be explored on your own. A few hills but nothing too bad. I also did the segway tour, well worth it. I haven't done El Yunque yet, I hear a lot of good things about it.

I wouldn't do any excursions from this port. Old San Jaun can be explored on your own. A few hills but nothing too bad. I also did the segway tour, well worth it. I haven't done El Yunque yet, I hear a lot of good things about it.

El Yunque was very good but after you see a few rainforests you have kind of seen them all.

If you're only there for a day, I would just recommend strolling around in Old San Juan. The two forts are incredible as is the scenery on the streets of Old San Juan. There are numerous excellent restaurants as well including Barrachina's the home of the Pina Colata! If you want to read more about Old San Juan along with plenty of pictures, please see my review in my tagline. I'm sure you're going to have a blast in San Juan, it's one of our favorite places to visit!

If you're only there for a day, I would just recommend strolling around in Old San Juan. The two forts are incredible as is the scenery on the streets of Old San Juan. There are numerous excellent restaurants as well including Barrachina's the home of the Pina Colata! If you want to read more about Old San Juan along with plenty of pictures, please see my review in my tagline. I'm sure you're going to have a blast in San Juan, it's one of our favorite places to visit!

Thanks! I was debating either just walking by foot or an excursion. I'll use the last cruise for example. In Grand Cayman, we got an excursion to stingray city which was amazing, but I'm always left leaving without exploring the town around the port. We explored Key West by foot, which I found to be one of the best stops on a ship, mostly for that reason. So maybe I can just stroll San Juan and like it just as much. Thanks!

Future cruises:

Past Cruises:

I googled and printed out a walking tour before we left and it really helped to see some of the sights. I really enjoyed just walking around. And we did hit up barrachinas for a piña colada, as did a lot of people. We made el morro our first stop, and will probably go to the other fort next time.

I have visited San Juan several times, both as a port stop and as embarkation port arriving the day before--and love it. I have visited both forts and never tire of walking around Old San Juan. Narrow, picturesque streets, colorful buildings, small shops and restaurants, and sudden sea vistas when you come to the end of some streets! It's exotic and yet U.S.--dollars are the currency, there's a CVS near the Carnival port in case you forgot anything, a U.S. post office for sending postcards, cell phones work, etc. Downloading a walking tour was helpful the first time.

Happy cruising!

There's also a free trolly that take you around the city and to the forts. Might save you some time. We are going in December for the first time, but we plan on using the trolley service during our 3 days pre-cruise.

We have also booked a 3 hour city tour called "taste of San Juan". It is a walking historical tour of the city with several stops to try local cuisine. Several people I know have personally done this tour and it came highly recommended by all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums