Dress code on Carnival

Nana57

They are called Cruise Elegant now and your choice is perfectly fine..many wear collared shirt and dress slacks only. 2 nights on a 7 night cruise are Cruise Elegant. Some still do suits and ties and tuxes..but that is probably less than half..a thrid or a fourth now.

Edited by sjn911

First time doing a Carnival Cruise. Are there formal nights? If so, can my husband wear a sports jacket and pants instead of a suit?

Yes to the formal nights

Yes to the sports coat... But should also wear a tie.

Hubby states that he would feel under dressed in a sports coat and tie on formal night, but only because of what I am wearing( usually a black cocktail dress),he prefers a suit.

He wears khakis and a polo to MDR on casual night, and would not wear jeans/ t- shirts or shorts, but states that is because he wouldn't in comparable restaurants on land

One of the reasons we enjoy Carnival is because of their very informal dress code, even for "elegant night"!!

People wear anything from tuxes(very few) and suits to slacks and a collared shirt. The actual dress code only requires long pants(slacks) and a shirt with a collar.

You don't have to wear a tie or a jacket but of course you can if you choose to do so.

I dress up with heels and a nice dress and DH wears black jeans, black shoes, and a shirt with a collar.

You and your husband can decide what feels right for you.

First time doing a Carnival Cruise. Are there formal nights? If so, can my husband wear a sports jacket and pants instead of a suit?

For Elegant nights what your husband is planning on wearing will be absolutely fine.

Have a great cruise! :)

LuLu

Yes to the formal nights

Yes to the sports coat... But should also wear a tie.

Hubby states that he would feel under dressed in a sports coat and tie on formal night, but only because of what I am wearing( usually a black cocktail dress),he prefers a suit.

He wears khakis and a polo to MDR on casual night, and would not wear jeans/ t- shirts or shorts, but states that is because he wouldn't in comparable restaurants on land

Ties are not required on elegant nights.

There were a lot of pants and polos and LBDs on our last few cruise elegant nights. I like that the code has been relaxed over the years because I have my elegant photos of my family and now we can stop packing so much extra. If you need a family photo, however, this is a perfect place to either dress up or plan colors accordingly as you can pick from tons of backdrops over a period of days. Just don't stress when you see tuxes or suits and long gowns...it's your vacation, too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Almost anything goes. Last January, we saw jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and even sandals on "elegant nights".

While I don't mind a "business casual" on "elegant nights", I do with Carnival endorsed some dress standards on those nights.

What he is planning to wear is fine. You will see a wide variety of attire that evening. Tuxes, full suits, shirt and ties, sport coats w/o ties and polos with khakis. Hawaiian shirts are popular too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read the dress code online and then remember mama's excellent advice: Never underdress but it is ok ti overdress". I go from there and decide.

Worry about myself only. And always have a great time.

Excellent advice, and a code that I also abide by.:)

All he needs is a pair of pants (dockers will do) and a shirt with collar. Anything else is above the requirements and up to the individual. Carnival did away with formal nights several years ago in favor of "elegant" night on some designated nights. Carnival is selling "fun" so they changed their policy to informal.

Depends on the ship and itinerary. Breeze 8 day last year, 90% of all gentlemen were dressed in suits, (a fair smattering of tuxes and one outstanding gentleman in a white dinner jacket). Older ships on shorter itineraries are going to be less formal. You won't get thrown out with dockers and a button down, but if you are on week or longer cruise you may feel a trifle out of place. I've only taken Caribbean cruises so can't comment on other locations.

Depends on the ship and itinerary. Breeze 8 day last year, 90% of all gentlemen were dressed in suits, (a fair smattering of tuxes and one outstanding gentleman in a white dinner jacket). Older ships on shorter itineraries are going to be less formal. You won't get thrown out with dockers and a button down, but if you are on week or longer cruise you may feel a trifle out of place. I've only taken Caribbean cruises so can't comment on other locations.

I don't know about on the Breeze but we've done 7 day and 10 day cruises along the coast of Mexico and the basic dress code was as I described in my post above. The only requirement is long pants and a shirt with a collar! Anything else is up to the individual.

When there were two elegant nights, it seemed most people were a bit dressier for the first one and much less so for the second one. I am not buying a new gown at over $200 every time I need a formal outfit. I am pretty sick of seeing myself in my favorite gown, anyway, as much as I like it. Hubby has been able to wear his one dress uniform for years which is an easy way out for military guys IMHO. I can't imagine what civilian men who like to cruise or who attend regular formal functions do to change up their formalwear without it costing a small fortune. It was wise for Carnival to ease up on the code for the regulars, in particular. If it's your first cruise, or a special occasion, you may want to go all out, but for many of us experienced cruisers we are downsizing in the dress department and having the best time ever!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes to the formal nights No to Formal Nights. Carnival has Cruise Elegant nights which are not "Formal".

Yes to the sports coat... But should also wear a tie. Neither a sports coat or a tie are required by Carnival's Dress Code on Cruise Elegant Nights. Dockers and a collared shirt are the minimum requirements on Carnival.

Hubby states that he would feel under dressed in a sports coat and tie on formal night, but only because of what I am wearing( usually a black cocktail dress),he prefers a suit. That is your preference and your choice but not required by Carnival's Dress Code.

Again your preference and your choice but not required by Carnival's Dress Code. Casual nights they do allow jeans and shorts.

Dockers and polo will easily get you in the door. That is about as dressed up as I will get on any vacation.