Disgusted Cruiser

I know where you are coming from but, to be fair, where else can they go? Australia is geographically located such that apart from "the islands" and NZ there are not many other destinations that are close enough to visit on an 11 day cruise. If you start making all the cruises longer 18 -20 day or longer then half the people who want to go on a cruise will not be able to as there will be no ships to go on.The longer cruises also attract that awful DISGUSTING older age group so we would not want that would we.:D:D

I would have like to have seen a some more 14 days to either NZ or the Fijian Islands. Even if they cut out 2 ports of NZ and dropped the days down to 12 would be OK.

The cruiselines are, after all, in the business of making a profit and you would think that someone on a 20 day cruise would spend less money,on a daily average, than someone on a 11 dayer. RCI also look as though they are aiming to be using the bigger ships, Voyager & Explorer, so there will be ports that cannot accommodate the larger ships. eg, We cruised around to Perth on the Radiance and she was too big to berth in Broome and went to Port Headland instead.:eek::eek: I guess floating around the South Pacific for a week is still not a bad holiday so if they make the ship the destination, it may not really matter where you go.
Port Headland is not THAT bad. :D It is great if you like that sort of place. Maybe I should have gotten out of the bus at the shopping centre.

RCI keep ships in Asia for the gamblers, not the drinkers. I was told that they will sit at the tables for hours and even have their own teabags and just request hot water.

I 100% agree with what you say about being on a ship. It is the reason I am doing the repo of VOS after it's refit, lots of sea days. Although the reason I am going on the Sea Princess is because it is going to ports we have not yet been to. :)

I know where you are coming from but, to be fair, where else can they go? Australia is geographically located such that apart from "the islands" and NZ there are not many other destinations that are close enough to visit on an 11 day cruise. If you start making all the cruises longer 18 -20 day or longer then half the people who want to go on a cruise will not be able to as there will be no ships to go on.The longer cruises also attract that awful DISGUSTING older age group so we would not want that would we.:D:D

The cruiselines are, after all, in the business of making a profit and you would think that someone on a 20 day cruise would spend less money,on a daily average, than someone on a 11 dayer. RCI also look as though they are aiming to be using the bigger ships, Voyager & Explorer, so there will be ports that cannot accommodate the larger ships. eg, We cruised around to Perth on the Radiance and she was too big to berth in Broome and went to Port Headland instead.:eek::eek: I guess floating around the South Pacific for a week is still not a bad holiday so if they make the ship the destination, it may not really matter where you go.

Don't care where I'm going as long as I'm on a RCI cruise ship.

Pass the popcorn.

Free drinks, woohoo.

Edited by Aussie FF

disclosure: This is a rant, as such if you feel you will be offended, leave this page now and don't read on.

To begin with, i am disgusted with what the cruise industry in australia has come to and the future is bleak. I have been on 6 cruises my first being in 2005 on the sapphire princess. I have also been working in the industry for a number of years. In 9 years, the cruising demographics have changed considerably, i fear for the worst. There has been a mass infiltration of the elderly older demographic in all cruise lines. Having worked with carnival cruise lines, it originally was a younger and family demographic and now it has drastically changed to have a large proportion of older people. It is drastically worse on princess cruises which is almost like a nursing home aboard, let alone holland america and world cruises. Even other lines like royal caribbean and celebrity are very much the same case. It is true that the austrlians are not brand loyal, and price seams to determine how you cruise. It is evident in carnival cruises now. This situation is in the whole australian market and is putting off first time cruisers for life. It sickens when people complain about carnival, when they are paying cheaper and expecting a princess product and complaining about young people. I have experienced this first hand. I understand it is affordable, but by the end of the decade, i fear it will only be 100% old people cruising. This will inevitably lead to the cruise industry essentially 'dying out.'

again this is my own view, not reflecting any of the companies i have mentioned.

idiot!

G'day Mic

Didn't you see the sign:

"Please don't feed the troll".

Couldn't help it, sorry.

Thanks everyone, I got it, the confused emoticon was supposed to be the ironic one. fat fingers strike again.:o

Edited by MicCanberra