What makes disney superior over other lines out there?

Susiecruisey

The difference is on an Easterly route in May, you're much more likely to find passengers who spend time post cruise touring Europe, and in the fall you're much more likely to find people who fly over just to do the TA back. In May you are more likely to get families traveling at the end of the school year, but in the fall everyone's back in school. Disney has always had difficulty filling its west bound TA's, so them virtually giving away cabins on that route is nothing new. The other big difference is that Disney only does one TA cycle, and even that's not every year, but every other major cruise line does multiple ships both ways every year. This year you have a choice of more than 20 ships doing TA's.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Really? I would have thought Carnival being the biggest cruise line operator and owner of many cruise lines globally would have your inside knowledge as to the expenses they incur when doing a TA and summer med season, but yet they have decided to remove Carnival ships from Europe until announced again?

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/05/10/44004/carnival+cruise+lines+pulls+out+of+europe.html

ex techie

The better the itinerary - the higher the Disney Transatlantic cruise price. The May 2015 TA has a great itinerary, and that's why the remaining cabins have almost doubled in price. The Sept. 2015 TA goes to only one port (Madeira) plus Castaway Cay, and those prices haven't increased at all.

This year - the Sept. WBTA has the better itinerary.

This makes a lot more sense than some of the other theories. Thanks.

The Carnival article is interesting, but it sounds like it applies only to those ships which sport the Carnival name--not the other lines owned and operated by Carnival.

Edited by moki'smommy

Really? I would have thought Carnival being the biggest cruise line operator and owner of many cruise lines globally would have your inside knowledge as to the expenses they incur when doing a TA and summer med season, but yet they have decided to remove Carnival ships from Europe until announced again?

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/05/10/44004/carnival+cruise+lines+pulls+out+of+europe.html

ex techie

And yet that same company sends its HAL, Princess, AIDA, Costa, and Cunard brands to Europe every summer. Maybe it's just that their target audience for the Carnival brand doesn't fit the TA profile.

And yet that same company sends its HAL, Princess, AIDA, Costa, and Cunard brands to Europe every summer. Maybe it's just that their target audience for the Carnival brand doesn't fit the TA profile.

Princess, AIDA, Costa and Cunard are not young family target lines?

Maybe Disney should increase their ABD offerings before the TA back?

When did you book your FOS Eastern 3/8/15. D1 Balcony and when did they release the reservations?
just to compare prices accurately.

ex techie

Princess, AIDA, Costa and Cunard are not young family target lines?

Maybe Disney should increase their ABD offerings before the TA back?

just to compare prices accurately.

ex techie

Interesting but irrelvant. The loss of two Carnival ships doing a TA drops the company's total from 25 to 23 If you add in the RCL brands (RCI, Celebrity, and Azamara) there are 42 TA choices other than Disney. Disney simply can't compete in that market. If a family in Europe wants to come to the U.S. because of Disney, it's easier to fly and spend a the time at the park.

RE: The FOS Booking, it was about a month ago - just after the BOGOHO sale ended.

RE: The FOS Booking, it was about a month ago - just after the BOGOHO sale ended.

So RCI have fire sales to get rid of their empty Staterooms on a WBTA and you missed out, so did you get an even better price after the sale ended?

ex techie

So RCI have fire sales to get rid of their empty Staterooms on a WBTA and you missed out, so did you get an even better price after the sale ended?

ex techie

Where in any of my posts did I ever mention anything about me booking a TA? My sole pricing reference compared a 3/8/15 Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean booking with a 3/7/15 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean booking. And, no, I missed the sale, and ended up paying more than I would have if I had booked the cruise during the sale. I didn't know that week would fit my schedule until it was too late to take advantage of the sale.

Where in any of my posts did I ever mention anything about me booking a TA? My sole pricing reference compared a 3/8/15 Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean booking with a 3/7/15 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean booking. And, no, I missed the sale, and ended up paying more than I would have if I had booked the cruise during the sale. I didn't know that week would fit my schedule until it was too late to take advantage of the sale.

Sorry about saying about the TA. It's on my mind at the moment!

But if DCL can demand a higher price ($1500) for the same cruise itineraries as your FOS cruise on RCI, without a BOGOHO, they must be doing something right, no?

ex techie

Sorry about saying about the TA. It's on my mind at the moment!

But if DCL can demand a higher price ($1500) for the same cruise itineraries as your FOS cruise on RCI, without a BOGOHO, they must be doing something right, no?

ex techie

Yep, they market to Disney fanatics, and they do a good job of hyping the "Disney" experience to a willing audience. We're Platinum on Disney, and Diamond on RCL, so we've seen both lines enough to conclude (for us at least) that there isn't $1,500 worth of difference between the two lines.

When the Magic was launched, Disney said they'd have ten ships sailing by now. They've saturated their audience with four, and even that is a continual struggle to find ports other than Port Canaveral that will fill ships. The one bright spot is they're dipping their oars in the southern Caribbean market. Now if they figure out how to do longer cruises on the southern routes out of PC, they may have something worth looking at. Flying into San Juan provides too many established competitors - not unlike their forays into Europe. They have one ship - the competition has 50+

as mentioned, superior is in the eye of the beholder. We do not have kids but are DCL Platinum cruisers.

I love the size of the rooms compared to other lines, the split bath format, having a bathtub to shower in so the water doesn't go all over the floor, we would rather watch a movie than gamble, the staff is MUCH friendlier than on other lines especially in the dining rooms where the other lines are stiff and stodgy, not only can I bring my adult beverages if I buy something in town they don't confiscate it, it stays with me, disembarkation is sooo much smoother (you don't sit in some hallway for an hour waiting for your number to be called, you leave pretty much when you want)

RCL's "pool police" count down your time and take your stuff away at the pool and they only allow one towel per person and there was NO food on the pool deck (we had to change our clothes to get a hamburger then change back to go to the pool)

When you think about it too, before Disney, the pools were all lumped together and folks couldn't get a quite place to relax without kids. We never could even find a chair on some cruises and had to leave. And not that I use the outdoor movie screen, but that was a first at sea.

We have friends who think we should expand our horizons onto the higher priced "sophisticated" lines. But I think I would be bored without the fun in the dining room and elsewhere.

As a RCCL cruiser I have never had the pool police move anything or limit the number of towels we are allowed to have poolside. They do have poolside barbecues. And just like any establishment that you eat at on dry land you are required to cover yourself in the eating areas. Cover ups are acceptable in the Windjammer. I'm just stating the facts as I know them. But cruising is like food subjective. To each his or her own. Happy Cruising.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Yep, they market to Disney fanatics, and they do a good job of hyping the "Disney" experience to a willing audience. We're Platinum on Disney, and Diamond on RCL, so we've seen both lines enough to conclude (for us at least) that there isn't $1,500 worth of difference between the two lines.

When the Magic was launched, Disney said they'd have ten ships sailing by now. They've saturated their audience with four, and even that is a continual struggle to find ports other than Port Canaveral that will fill ships. The one bright spot is they're dipping their oars in the southern Caribbean market. Now if they figure out how to do longer cruises on the southern routes out of PC, they may have something worth looking at. Flying into San Juan provides too many established competitors - not unlike their forays into Europe. They have one ship - the competition has 50+

I kind of understand what you are saying to a point, but if they have saturated their market to the point they are struggling to fill their ships, how come they can still charge $1500 more for the same cruise itinerary and dates on FOS?

DCL are not having to offer a BOGOHO deal, and are commanding $1.5k more than what you paid and you missed the deal?

Surely RCI are the ones struggling to fill their ships, not DCL?

ex techie

This is why I cruise on Celebrity:

10 night Caribbean

Concierge class balcony (C3) (includes sparkling bottle of wine, robes, flowers, canapes every evening, footstool on balcony)

Drinks package (alcohol, wine, beer, specialty coffees and waters and teas)

$100 on board credit

dinner in a specialty restaurant for 1 evening

gratuities

And we can opt for specialty dining package which is every night in SD restaurants, all lunches at SD restaurants and a champagne brunch all for $29 a day each.

$1655 per person for a Thanksgiving cruise on a beautiful S class ship including all taxes and fees.

And we find the staff on Celebrity every bit as nice and professional as DCL. But it is fun to cruise DCL every now and then.

My DCL bargain was this past May, Panama Canal for 15 nights, $2400 or so each. Not including extras (specialty dining, gratuities...). But it was a bit cheaper than Celebrity. We're flexible!

The November 21st Equinox cruise? We're on that one too :D Conceirge (C3), free drinks for first 2 passengers and classic non-alcholic package for the 3rd (so soda, bottled water and specialty coffees) plus a bit of free internet time, $200 OBC for the low, low price of $1265 per person including all fees and taxes (because there's 3 of us in the cabin - the third person was very inexpensive)

I kind of understand what you are saying to a point, but if they have saturated their market to the point they are struggling to fill their ships, how come they can still charge $1500 more for the same cruise itinerary and dates on FOS?

DCL are not having to offer a BOGOHO deal, and are commanding $1.5k more than what you paid and you missed the deal?

Surely RCI are the ones struggling to fill their ships, not DCL?

ex techie

You mean until DCL offers their "Fire Sale" in the form of IGT, OGT, VGT rates? And filling only 4 ships of less than 15,000 berths.

Oasis and Allure have a maximum capacity just under 6300 each so filling those two ships every week is like filling the DCL fleet.

Edited by meatloafsfan
to include taxes and fees in my cruise cost

The November 21st Equinox cruise? We're on that one too :D Conceirge (C3), free drinks for first 2 passengers and classic non-alcholic package for the 3rd (so soda, bottled water and specialty coffees) plus a bit of free internet time, $200 OBC for the low, low price of $1265 per person including all fees and taxes (because there's 3 of us in the cabin - the third person was very inexpensive)

Snip...

Yup, that's the one (but you better board on 11/20 ;)) Maybe we're neighbors!

Honestly I don't see how anyone could turn down a deal like this!

Oops, 2014 or 2015? We're on the 2015.

Edited by Muushka
date!

I'm actually pleased that Disney has some pricing integrity and hasn't become a commodity like some lines, which sell and promote on price alone. Bottom line, if you feel Disney is too expensive then book a line which is more within your budget. The market will dictate what Disney can charge, and so far they have had to do very little discounting relative to other brands. That speaks volumes for the Disney name, what it stands for, and its perception.

This comment reminds me of the time I saw someone post that they liked that DCL's prices were higher, because it kept away the "riff raff" that you see on other lines like Carnival.

Not only is it not true, because people have been known to try to rob banks to take their kids on a Disney cruise, but anyone can get a credit card these days.....:rolleyes:......but it's also very prejudicial and insensitive.

One thing that keeps me looking at DCL (I've cruised it twice, Carnival once): I look at boards for other lines and people are asking if they should pay for priority boarding, if they should get soda (Coke where I come from) cards, how to sneak drinks onboard, what kind of walkie talkies to use, should they do specialty dining for a fee, is any time dining really any time dining. I'm sure there are other things. I don't have to worry about any of that with Disney. The cost isn't the issue; it's that I don't have to think about it. Maybe I like less options ?😊

Another thing: I look at some of the mega RCL ships and the cost of an Oceanview balcony isn't much savings for the same cabin on DCL. I'm not going on a cruise ship to have a view of trees and shopping. I would have stayed on land for that.

I know I'm paying a premium on DCL and I expect and so far have received a certain level of service because of the premium and the Disney name.

On Disney, you DO have to pay for priority boarding, by booking a suite. I've only cruised on Carnival, DCL, Princess and NCL, and I don't recall seeing anywhere that I could have paid for priority boarding, other than by booking a suite. :confused:

I carry my Pepsi onboard DCL and the other lines. For the amount of cost difference between "most" other cruises and DCL, the "free" soda is not worth it. The soda fountain is not in a convenient location unless you're at the swimming pool, and it's not a sacrifice to have coffee, tea, water or milk at dinner. If I want a soda at dinner, the $2 charge is a lot easier to swallow (no pun intended) than the thousand or more I would pay extra on DCL.

The amount DCL charges for a lost phone isn't worth letting one of the kiddies wander the ship with it, and we never needed walkie talkies...so that's a non issue. I've heard of more people who won't take the phone out of the Disney stateroom for the same reason.

Specialty dining on DCL is more expensive than it is on any other ship I've been on, and it's limited to either just one restaurant or two, depending on which ship you're on. Other lines have more choices for that, and more choices that are included in the fare.

You have a choice on other lines between having a seating time for dinner, or using the option of Anytime Dining....it isn't forced upon people.

What it comes down to, is that the things that people complain about paying extra for on other lines (or my favorite misnomer "being nickeled and dimed") just isn't true. I don't think I know too many people who could even drink enough alcohol in a week to make the "carry on your own" worth it. In other words, not many people can drink more than a thousand dollars' worth of alcohol in a week or less. If they do, then that means that Carnival isn't the only line that should get stuck with the (totally untrue) tag of being full of drunks.

Quite honestly, if you are flexible on your dates, you can sail on Disney Cruise Line for about the same as a comparable ship

Just go to the Disney Cruise Line web site, spend some time looking at the offers and I'm sure if you are flexible with your dates and port of departure, you will be able to find a reasonably-priced cruise.

If the prices are too high today, check back in a week or so.

soccer

Moki'sMommy is right, DCL rarely ever lowers their prices. AND....most people with kids in school aren't flexible with their dates, and Disney knows that, and they charge extra knowing that. I realize they're a company like any other, in business to make money....but where's the extra Pixie Dust when it comes to pricing? If they loved kids so much, wouldn't they make it easier for families to afford to cruise when school is out?

Another disappointment with DCL, when they built the Dream and Fantasy, they had the opportunity to make MORE family-friendly staterooms like their two bedroom suites on the Magic & Wonder, yet they made LESS. None, in fact. Even the Walt and Roy don't have a second bedroom. Why? Because by forcing families with more than two or three kids, or those with older boys and girls who really can't be sharing a bed, into booking two staterooms, they can charge for four full adult fares, as opposed to two adults, and 2, 3 or 4 kids' rates.

Like I've said, if I owned a business where I could get away with that kind of highway robbery, I might. Actually, I do own a business where I could do that, but morally it's just unacceptable.......

This debate goes on and on and its silly.

ALL LINES WILL CHARGE WHATEVER PUBLIC WILL PAY!

Disney charges more because people are willing to pay more for Disney magic and pixie dust and the over all better cruise.

The high end lines provide the ultimate in passenger luxury and charge the maximum for it.

RCCL, and other similar lines charge the level there customers will pay.

Carnival is selling cheap, because of their own problems and their clientele want to pay less.

Don't think for a second that any line would set cheaper rates unless they have to, to fill their cabins. If people wont pay more for their product/cruises, they have to sell cheaper.

Its called the market place. no highway robbery about it. If your not happy, go to another line.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I love the debates going on here and so Im going to jump in.

I think an important element of the "Disney only has 4 ships vs the relative colossal fleets of CCL and RCL et al, and its effect on pricing", is being missed.

I theorize that the average DCL guest is not a perrenial cruiser that goes

from one cruise line to the other looking for a better or different cruise experience such as Orville99 who cruises frequently on multiple cruise lines.

Rather, I think the average DCL guest is, like myself, a Disneyphile. We go for the Disney experience - theming events characters etc. That is, what the value is of DCL vs all the others. Also, because of that niche market, it may be that only 4 ships is currently supportable. Having only a small amount of ships also drives up demand and if anyone knows Disney geeks, its Disney or bust, so they are willing to pay the higher fares.

Building off of that theory, we must also realize that for all the other cruise lines, its the cruise and thats it. There are no Carnival theme parks, movies, touring Carnivals On Ice, Carnival stores in malls etc. They have to make all their money on the cruise experience and thats it. Perhaps thats why they need to have that many more ships and as such, a more affordable fare to get people onto the ships.

Disney is marketing unto itself and one experience supports and grows interest in the other. At the end of the day, a DCL guest will opt for another kind of Disney experience for their next vacation, not for another cruise experience. The vacation dollar stays within the Disney family

For Disneyphiles, its the Parks vs DCL, not the FOTS vs Fantasy.

This debate goes on and on and its silly.

ALL LINES WILL CHARGE WHATEVER PUBLIC WILL PAY!

Disney charges more because people are willing to pay more for Disney magic and pixie dust and the over all better cruise.

The high end lines provide the ultimate in passenger luxury and charge the maximum for it.

RCCL' date=' and other similar lines charge the level there customers will pay.

Carnival is selling cheap, because of their own problems and their clientele want to pay less.

Don't think for a second that any line would set cheaper rates unless they have to, to fill their cabins. If people wont pay more for their product/cruises, they have to sell cheaper.

AKK[/quote']

Carnival's prices were lower even before they had any problems. I guess I could say I'm one of their clientele....but that could be said for the other lines I've cruised on multiple times. I know people who cruise Carnival and also cruise Disney.....a lot of us used to cruise Disney all the time....until their prices went beyond what they offered, which if you leave out the "Disney-ness", isn't any more than any other cruise line in particular. All of them will have good and bad. Because the original topic was "What makes Disney superior", if you look at the whole picture, Disney isn't superior. Some people will think that for them, it is, and that's peachy. But other people will think another line is superior. All I've said so far is that the "plusses" some people have listed aren't really plusses, when the cost of the entire "included" package is considered.

As far as marketing, I agree with others who have said that when you have the "Disney" part that no one else has, and you only have 4 ships, you CAN take advantage of people. And I really believe IN MY OWN OPINION AND BUSINESS EXPERIENCE that they do. There is nothing beyond the Disney experience that their cruise ships have that is worth paying more for.

All of them have good food or bad, depends on what you like. I've been on ships that were immaculate and not DCL, and have been on DCL when it wasn't always immaculate. I could make a list, but we've heard it all before. When it comes down to nuts and bolts, and leaving out the Disney factor, they offer nothing more than most ships do.

It has nothing to do with me not liking them, or not being able to afford them, so telling me to go elsewhere is childish. Speaking in general, they are not affordable (any more) and I happen to think that's pretty sad.

I love the debates going on here and so Im going to jump in.

I think an important element of the "Disney only has 4 ships vs the relative colossal fleets of CCL and RCL et al, and its effect on pricing", is being missed.

I theorize that the average DCL guest is not a perrenial cruiser that goes

from one cruise line to the other looking for a better or different cruise experience such as Orville99 who cruises frequently on multiple cruise lines.

Rather, I think the average DCL guest is, like myself, a Disneyphile. We go for the Disney experience - theming events characters etc. That is, what the value is of DCL vs all the others. Also, because of that niche market, it may be that only 4 ships is currently supportable. Having only a small amount of ships also drives up demand and if anyone knows Disney geeks, its Disney or bust, so they are willing to pay the higher fares.

Building off of that theory, we must also realize that for all the other cruise lines, its the cruise and thats it. There are no Carnival theme parks, movies, touring Carnivals On Ice, Carnival stores in malls etc. They have to make all their money on the cruise experience and thats it. Perhaps thats why they need to have that many more ships and as such, a more affordable fare to get people onto the ships.

Disney is marketing unto itself and one experience supports and grows interest in the other. At the end of the day, a DCL guest will opt for another kind of Disney experience for their next vacation, not for another cruise experience. The vacation dollar stays within the Disney family

For Disneyphiles, its the Parks vs DCL, not the FOTS vs Fantasy.

Very well said. Although I have always considered myself to be a Disneyphile....but maybe I don't fall into that category any more, because I find myself lately rarely feeling as though what Disney charges, parks or cruises, is just too outrageous any more. I'll always love Disney, and I'll always wish (most of the time) that I were either at Disney or on a Disney cruise, but since I've done the cruises more than ten, eleven or twelve times, and the parks too often to count, I just can't justify the expense any more. The quality of their product IS high.....but not that high. So now we nab a Disney trip when we can, but if we want to have a longer trip, it's going to have to be either finding an island home to stay on somewhere (which we also enjoy) or cruising on another line.

But I have also always said that I think DCL is really great for kids. My kids were older when we cruised on other lines, so I honestly can't compare the kids' clubs and experiences....I wish I could....so I have to stick with Disney as being the best for kids. I think if people can afford it, and cruising is what they want to do with their kids, then they should do it on Disney. At least once, anyway.

I also have one spare bedroom that's decorated entirely in Disney. Signed prints and paintings, cells, plush....all kinds of different things. Even a real wood carved Pinocchio. So I guess I still AM a Disneyphile....the cost is just not reasonable at this time in our lives.

Edited by MizDaisy

Carnival's prices were lower even before they had any problems. I guess I could say I'm one of their clientele....but that could be said for the other lines I've cruised on multiple times. I know people who cruise Carnival and also cruise Disney.....a lot of us used to cruise Disney all the time....until their prices went beyond what they offered, which if you leave out the "Disney-ness", isn't any more than any other cruise line in particular. All of them will have good and bad. Because the original topic was "What makes Disney superior", if you look at the whole picture, Disney isn't superior. Some people will think that for them, it is, and that's peachy. But other people will think another line is superior. All I've said so far is that the "plusses" some people have listed aren't really plusses, when the cost of the entire "included" package is considered.

As far as marketing, I agree with others who have said that when you have the "Disney" part that no one else has, and you only have 4 ships, you CAN take advantage of people. And I really believe IN MY OWN OPINION AND BUSINESS EXPERIENCE that they do. There is nothing beyond the Disney experience that their cruise ships have that is worth paying more for.

All of them have good food or bad, depends on what you like. I've been on ships that were immaculate and not DCL, and have been on DCL when it wasn't always immaculate. I could make a list, but we've heard it all before. When it comes down to nuts and bolts, and leaving out the Disney factor, they offer nothing more than most ships do.

It has nothing to do with me not liking them, or not being able to afford them, so telling me to go elsewhere is childish. Speaking in general, they are not affordable (any more) and I happen to think that's pretty sad.

Diasy I am not going to debate this over and over, BUT I will point out the following:

!. Yes carnival is cheaper, because the cruise product they offer does not demand a higher price. Their clientele is looking for cheap. am sure their are some folks who feel DCL is to expensive for them, more power to them I would suggest RCCL or NCL, not Carnival. IF you read the carnival forums you will note even the die heart carnival fans are not happy with the massive cut backs. Some others don't care as long as the price does not go up.

2. DCL has little problem filling their ships and still charge a premium price because they have a better cruise product........vessels, service and presentation.

AKK

Moki'sMommy is right, DCL rarely ever lowers their prices. AND....most people with kids in school aren't flexible with their dates, and Disney knows that, and they charge extra knowing that. I realize they're a company like any other, in business to make money....but where's the extra Pixie Dust when it comes to pricing? If they loved kids so much, wouldn't they make it easier for families to afford to cruise when school is out?

I disagree here. Plenty of families are more than willing to pull their kids our of school for a cruise (or a visit to the Disney Parks), and Disney knows that.

I disagree here. Plenty of families are more than willing to pull their kids our of school for a cruise (or a visit to the Disney Parks), and Disney knows that.

Its just the market forces at work. Fewer people are willing to travel during the school year so rates drop to attract business. I am one of those people. I am pulling my little one out of school because it is more affordable.

Juxtaposed to that are the summer months when there are a flood of people who want to cruise and the market adjusted for the demand. The price simply gets adjusted to what people are willing to pay. I used to work in the hospitality industry (Las Vegas Strip hotel) and the room rate adjusted for weekday rates vs weekend rates, peak times vs non peak.

Its not unfair, in fact, its the fairest thing of all. If its not priced appropriately, people wont buy the product. That an particular individual cant afford a particular fare are due to a multitude of forces that have nothing to do with the cost of the product offered

2. DCL has little problem filling their ships and still charge a premium price because they have a better cruise product........vessels' date=' service and presentation.

AKK[/quote']

DCL has little problem filling their ships at premium prices during the summer and holiday periods. DCL does resort to discounting (military, FL resident, cast member, *GT rates, etc.) to fill their ships when schools are in session.

Until DCL does a better job of marketing itself to adults who don't cruise with school-age kids - I don't think they can fill additional ships during low season. The most exotic itineraries in the world won't fill the ships during the school year - as long as families with children remain DCL's bread and butter.