Plane connection

Jeffrey1950

I spoke to Cunard the other day and the rep insisted that flying into London overnight and then getting a transfer to Southampton the same day allows plenty of time for getting thru customs, the travel time to Southampton etc. I am wondering how many have done this without a panic in between. Or is it more to the wise to fly in one day early and stay overnight in a hotel. Flying in a few days earlier and seeing the sights of London has no interest to me as I used to live in London. Can one really fly overnight and arrive the same day of sailing without being a nervous wreck? If you do stay overnight in Southampton please recommend a Hotel and how far is it by taxi to the docks and at what cost? Looking forward to your reply.

I spoke to Cunard the other day and the rep insisted that flying into London overnight and then getting a transfer to Southampton the same day allows plenty of time for getting thru customs, the travel time to Southampton etc. I am wondering how many have done this without a panic in between. Or is it more to the wise to fly in one day early and stay overnight in a hotel. Flying in a few days earlier and seeing the sights of London has no interest to me as I used to live in London. Can one really fly overnight and arrive the same day of sailing without being a nervous wreck? If you do stay overnight in Southampton please recommend a Hotel and how far is it by taxi to the docks and at what cost? Looking forward to your reply.

I personally would err on the side of safety in case of Air delays and fly in a day early, then stay night in Southampton. Possible Hotels, Grand Harbour Hotel, Premier Inn West Quay, Holiday Inn, The White Star Tavern, The Dolphin Hotel

depends on your price range. Check them on the internet. The Cost of Cab will depend on which Berth ship leaves from but around £10 depends on Traffic. Some Hotels will transport you to the terminal included in the Hotel fee

It could be done as the TA suggested, but it only needs a train delay, traffic accident, fire alarm activation etc, which all happen daily to occur to your journey and you miss the boat so to speak !

However if you are booking the whole package through Cunard with them arranging your airport to ship as well, then they usually hold the ship until arrival as many would be affected through the delay if occurred.

see http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

http://www.grandharbourhotel.co.uk/

http://www.hisouthamptonhotel.co.uk/

http://www.premierinn.com/en/checkHotel/SOUQUA/southampton-west-quay

http://www.dolphin-southampton.com/

http://www.whitestartavern.co.uk/

Edited by Pennbank

Never missed a ship by arriving at 8am LHR. But many missed the ship at NYC on Dec 20th 2009 when airports where shut in US and UK for days because of severe snow. You will have to assess your own risks by yourself. I'd be on the safe side if in doubt.

I have flown overnight from JFK to Southampton half a dozen times these past 7 years and have never had any issues. I always book the flight thru Cunard as that makes them responsible for your arrival at the ship and the price for a one way flight is reasonable and competitive. I always book the transfer to the ship thru Cunard- someone representing Cunard (usually two or three) meets me at the baggage claim area and advises when the bus will arrive and where to wait for it. Be sure to have Cunard's emergency travel number with you in case of problems - you have to advise them if flight is cancelled or delayed to give them a chance to put you on another flight. I was on the ship last December in Brooklyn when she delayed sailing for over two hours waiting for passengers who were late coming in from Toronto. Cunard sent a limo to the airport...........I am sailing on the QM2 on May 3, 2015 - Virgin Atlantic departing on the 2nd at 7:30 pm and arriving Heathrow May 3, 8:00 am. - airfare $335 and transfer $40................

I have flown overnight from JFK to Southampton half a dozen times these past 7 years and have never had any issues. I always book the flight thru Cunard as that makes them responsible for your arrival at the ship and the price for a one way flight is reasonable and competitive. I always book the transfer to the ship thru Cunard- someone representing Cunard (usually two or three) meets me at the baggage claim area and advises when the bus will arrive and where to wait for it. Be sure to have Cunard's emergency travel number with you in case of problems - you have to advise them if flight is cancelled or delayed to give them a chance to put you on another flight. I was on the ship last December in Brooklyn when she delayed sailing for over two hours waiting for passengers who were late coming in from Toronto. Cunard sent a limo to the airport...........I am sailing on the QM2 on May 3, 2015 - Virgin Atlantic departing on the 2nd at 7:30 pm and arriving Heathrow May 3, 8:00 am. - airfare $335 and transfer $40................

Most of the time we fly early in order to have some time in England.

But we have made the connection flying overnight and arriving at Heathrow the morning of the sailing at least 4 times over the years. Every time we've done this we've booked through Cunard, including their transfer, and arrived in plenty of time.

The only bad part was the embarkation photographers--I'd been on a plane all night, then in an airport, then on a bus, and they thought I'd want a picture of how I looked?????? (this was before they provided a bypass lane)

If you want to get to Southampton a day in advance, I can vouch for the Premier Inn West Quay. The Holiday Inn is good, too. Either hotel will call a taxi for you to go to the ship in the morning.

That was the date I had been discussing with Cunard. Suppose I flew over earlier perhaps by a day and stayed the night in a hotel in Southampton. Can I still use the Cunard Transfer to Southampton or do I have to make my own way (somehow ) to Southampton?

This was the same date I was discussing with Cunard. I am wondering perhaps you can advise me if I flew over let's say a day earlier and stayed in a Hotel in Southampton can I still use the Transfer to Southampton or do I have to make my own why there ( somehow ). Also, I understand that the flight for this day and probably most others is on an Airbus. Last time I flew Virgin Atlantic I remember how uncomfortable it was would they let me purchase the seat next to me for added space and comfort? I cannot see that they would mind as long as someone paid for the seat.

This was the same date I was discussing with Cunard. I am wondering perhaps you can advise me if I flew over let's say a day earlier and stayed in a Hotel in Southampton can I still use the Transfer to Southampton or do I have to make my own why there ( somehow ). Also, I understand that the flight for this day and probably most others is on an Airbus. Last time I flew Virgin Atlantic I remember how uncomfortable it was would they let me purchase the seat next to me for added space and comfort? I cannot see that they would mind as long as someone paid for the seat.

Virgin Atlantic allow you to purchase the seat next to you (conditions apply!) It is called Seat Plus.

pmb1, if it is for one person and the flight is cancelled and doesn't arrive that day the ship really won't wait.

It is very risky to fly in the day of the cruise.

Keith

You're right, Keith1010, it is risky to fly in on departure day. But, it is true that if your Cunard flight is only hours late the ship will wait. I've been on several QM2 sailings from NYC that waited more than an hour for what the Captain announced to be "the last bus from JFK".