First time on Allure. Tips please!!!

Wife and I will do doing the eastern leg of the allure in sept. Since this is such a HUGE ship, any specific things you should see and or do while on ship. We are social people who like to drink and have a good time. I've heard mixed reviews on chops, so I think we will do the chef table one night. Planning on doing the 55$ drink package. Just looking for "don't miss" things. Thanks!

Not a huge deal, but I wouldn't miss the piblic balconies on the aft end of the passenger corridors on decks 11, 12, and 14. Also the outside deck over the bridge wings via the forward passenger corridor on deck 14 port side.

So many many ideas will pop up. We found a romantic walk in Central Park at night is really nice. Did it on Formal Night and the cello/violin duo were up there playing beautiful classical music. We grabbed a nice after-dinner drink and sat in the park and just enjoyed a very romantic moment.

Make sure you go to all the shows. Make reservations and if you can't get the time you want, make a reservation anyway and simply standby for the time you want. Very hard to get into the Comedy show without reservations.

Consider lunch at Giovanni's. Also lots of places to eat breakfast. Johnnie Rockets serves a free diner style breakfast. Solarium has healthier choice. Park Cafe for bagels.

Rising Tide Bar. Just gotta do it once.

Ride the Carousel on the Boardwalk. Also the Zip Line. It is sometimes open in port so there are fewer people trying to ride it. In fact if you don't care about the port, stay on board and use the facilities without the crowds.

As someone said, "secret balcony." Aft end of decks 11 or 12, both sides. Great place for sailaway.

I know many other ideas will pop up. You really need a couple of weeks to see it all. Have a great cruise.

Wife and I will do doing the eastern leg of the allure in sept. Since this is such a HUGE ship, any specific things you should see and or do while on ship. We are social people who like to drink and have a good time. I've heard mixed reviews on chops, so I think we will do the chef table one night. Planning on doing the 55$ drink package. Just looking for "don't miss" things. Thanks!

Here's a review you "don't want to miss".

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1737751

Skip

I agree the Diving show is a must.

Secondly, I was never a big ice skating person, meaning my wife watches it during the Olympics and such and I would go to a different room and watch tv or go watch the grass grow:p, but years ago I agreed to go to the show and Im so glad I did. The Ice Shows are usually very good and I was greatly impressed.

If you are social, don't do MTD....do traditional and ask for a large table! Tablemates are SO MUCH FUN! With MTD, you will most likely be eating alone nightly, as most MTDers don't want company.

Aaaaggghhhhhhh - I'm really social, friendly and enjoy people's company at all times apart from Dinner.

It's a nightmare for me to sit with others on a large table for dinner - LOL

:-)

I agree regrading MTD. My sister and I prefer a table by ourselves after being assigned to an 8 and after the first 2nd night, we were the only ones who showed up. This is in the days when tips were paid directly to the waiters. We are very well liked and sociable but it seems all the others either ate on shore or specialty dining.

Anyway, do what you feel most comfortable with and relax, have fun. We moved around the table each night and pretended to be different people. Our waiters loved it:D

Susan 🐳

Here's a review you "don't want to miss".

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1737751

Skip

Agreed with all readers, Gambee's review is a must. It really helped us plan our Allure trip last year.

I don't think I have seen it yet, but definitely get to Park Cafe for casual breakfast and lunch. It use to be a great quiet spot on embarkation day, instead of the Windjammer, but now people know to go there and the line is out the door! But, we actually shared a table with a couple who also happened to be from MA and made new friends within hours of boarding the ship.

We loved the boardwalk and would hang there all the time to relax, eat, and drink. See if Joe is still one of bartenders at the Boardwalk Bar. He is great!

Diving show is great and so is Blue Planet, the other main show in the Theater toward the end of the trip. Get there early and try to get seats in the center of the theater.

We did the drink package on both Allure and IOS and thought they were worth the price. I can't even count how many bottles of water we grabbed on IOS. Not to mention iced lattes...oh yeah, and the cocktails!

You can get everything done on this ship with a little advanced planning.

We were on the Rising Tide Bar up and then down.

When downwards, suddenly it stops. Right accross on the "roll out bridge" came the Captain saying his welcome speech so we got a special view and a special toast.

Guess we were lucky! (perhaps you can "timed" your visit to the bar accordingly).

The dive show, Ocean Aria... I'd recommend to schedule the first night. It is a *must see*. Although it doesn't happen often, hut high winds, rough seas, storms, could cancel shows. The first evening will usually have the calmest waters. If you were to miss it then, you have other performances thru the week.

I was impressed with how the crowds were dispersed. It was crowded on sea days but not impossible to find a good place to relax by a pool. We tend to do the opposite of the crowds. While everyone else flocks to get off at port, we stay on to enjoy the ship... pools aren't usually crowded, etc. Then, after some time, we get off the ship and others are coming back on.

Back to the shows, I would definitely take them all in... so much better than other ship entertainment (IMO).

We enjoyed Park Cafe (roast beef sandwiches and salads) and the sunflower granola bars at the Cafe Promenade.

On of my "secret places" was on deck 5, Aft. If you are on Deck 6 at the AquaTheatre and go down the steps to the side one deck, you will be on the jogging/walking deck. At the aft end, it is incredible just to stand there and watch as the ship is powered thru the water. Seeing the water churn up from the ship is amazing.

Edited by mad-dog74
typo's

When we went on the Allure in May 2013, we set our MDR time for 8:30 like we had on every other cruise on different ships. As it turned out, our "assigned" table wasn't really in the main dining room that's open and 3 stories tall like I'm used to. Instead, they had the 3 of us at this little 4 person table off on the side of the ship but on the same level as the dining room. It was very strange, almost like if you had stepped into a quaint little restaurant. I didn't like it. I was expecting the whole thing of sitting at a big table and meeting new tablemates and so on. I probably should have protested on the first night but decided against it. We're back on the Allure in Nov 2014 and I'll be checking into this before we go. I don't want some small table in a restaurant setting, I wanted the big MDR experience.

i've done Eastern Alllure twice. My simple advise:

Book the Aqua Theater show for the first night. This night probably has the lowest cancelation rate. The show can be canceled or postponed for bad weather. Booking it increases the odds that it will be rescheduled later on in the week and not canceled. The first night the ship goes slow as it isn't far to Nassau. Get there early, even with reservatons the best seats go fast. Watch if the first time from the theater. Watch it again from the balconies on deck 12 later to get a different perpective.

Much of the Blue Planet show is in the air, I found the balcony seats to be the best for comfortable viewing.

Ignore the message not to board till 2pm. Get there at 11am to maxmize your time on the ship.

Study the deck plans to get around faster. 99% of the people will go to the first elevator in site after dinner or a show. Knowing alternatives lessens waiting in line.

I agree the Diving show is a must.

Secondly, I was never a big ice skating person, meaning my wife watches it during the Olympics and such and I would go to a different room and watch tv or go watch the grass grow:p, but years ago I agreed to go to the show and Im so glad I did. The Ice Shows are usually very good and I was greatly impressed.

I felt the exact same way. I had never done one of the ice shows before, but found this to be good entertainment.

The art all across the ship is great - take time to find the hidden works

One night during your cruise they'll have a party up on the Solarium - go to it if you'd like to meet and talk to some of the actors/actresses/performers from the shows onboard

A lot of good suggestions so far. One thing that my wife and really enjoyed was to stop in the Champagne Bar every night on our way back to our cabin for the evening. They serve some very good nightcap type drinks. We enjoyed several including the Almond Joy.

i've done Eastern Alllure twice. My simple advise:

Book the Aqua Theater show for the first night. This night probably has the lowest cancelation rate. The show can be canceled or postponed for bad weather. Booking it increases the odds that it will be rescheduled later on in the week and not canceled. The first night the ship goes slow as it isn't far to Nassau. Get there early, even with reservatons the best seats go fast. Watch if the first time from the theater. Watch it again from the balconies on deck 12 later to get a different perpective.

Much of the Blue Planet show is in the air, I found the balcony seats to be the best for comfortable viewing.

Ignore the message not to board till 2pm. Get there at 11am to maxmize your time on the ship.

Study the deck plans to get around faster. 99% of the people will go to the first elevator in site after dinner or a show. Knowing alternatives lessens waiting in line.

Thanks for the tip about Blue Planet seating.

• 3 weeks later...