Ceo misleads passengers after fire

I believe what Stein Kruse meant to say, that each passenger on this cruise would get a discount equivalent to 25 percent of the cruise fare that they had paid for the affected Westerdam cruise.

This is how Carnival, Princess and Disney has handled similar offers when something went wrong on a cruise. Though the percentage may vary by incident.

Examples of the 25 percent discount:

You paid $1,000.00 for your Westerdam cruise, your discount on the future cruise would be $250.00.

You paid $4000.00 for your Westerdam cruise, your discount on the future cruise would be $1,000.00.

You paid $500.00 for your Westerdam cruise, your discount on the future cruise would be $125.00.

I think this is where the confusion lies. I think it is a reasonable settlement and was Holland America's intent.

Hopefully Holland America can clarify this more clearly to the passengers and the media.

soccer

I think I read in the quote that Kruse told the group that HAL would send a note for the 25% discount... So does anyone know what the note says? m--

Good point.

Does anyone even know if the note was ever sent?

I believe what Stein Kruse meant to say, that each passenger on this cruise would get a discount equivalent to 25 percent of the cruise fare that they had paid for the affected Westerdam cruise.

This is what we got when we missed two of four ports on a cruise. I don't mean 25% (I don't remember what it was) but it was a percentage of what we paid for the cruise we were on. Edited by catl331

My friends were on that sailing. Yes, Mr. Kruse announced the 25% off but the passengers also received a letter in their room stating about the $250 OBC for the Westie as well as the 25% off a future cruise based on the Cruise Fare they paid for the Westie.

My friends were very happy with the compensation and thought it was very fair!

My friends were on that sailing. Yes, Mr. Kruse announced the 25% off but the passengers also received a letter in their room stating about the $250 OBC for the Westie as well as the 25% off a future cruise based on the Cruise Fare they paid for the Westie.

That's just as most of us thought and seems pretty clear. Hopefully someone at HAL will give a copy of that letter to their reservation group.

Back when I studied the Common Law, a gratuitous promise was not actionable.

But, of course, the practice of law has very little to do with the state of the law. Which is one of the reasons I no longer practice law.

The voice of reason!! Thanks for posting.

I don't know. I wasn't there. He may have said this or that. Only people that were present know what he really told the passengers.

Even the people hearing the speech might not be a reliable source. This Alan Greenspan quote captures it all: "“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”

Even on the CC story back on 6.29 it specifically states based on the $ paid for the Westie's cruise.

Link here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5895

"Due to the late departure, the ship will skip its originally scheduled call on Sitka, and passengers will receive $250 in onboard credit per stateroom, as well as a future cruise discount equal to 25 percent of the cruise fare paid for the sailing."

Emphasis is mine. Now maybe a grammar cop could attempt to hornswoggle the verbiage, but the "fare paid for the sailing" is directed to the amount paid for the Westie's fare.

IMO Jim Walker is trying to drum up business for himself.

OMG did I just sound like a cheerleader???!!!??? :eek:

Derek

i was on the Westy for this cruise and not only heard the "speech" but received the letter stating 250 OBC and 25% discount based on the amount paid for the current Westy cruise. Overall a fair deal IMO. Booked a 17day Great Barrier Reef cruise on board :).

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/08/articles/fraud/bait-switch-ceo-stein-kruses-promises-are-not-binding-on-hal/index.html

You may recall that the Westerdam caught fire on June 28, 2014 as it was sailing to Alaska. The automatic fire suppression did not extinguish the fire and the crew had to use hoses to extinguish the fire. The fire flared up again and the crew has to extinguish it a second time. The Coast Guard forced the cruise ship to turn around and return to Seattle. You can read about the incident here.

HAL CEO Stein Kruse came aboard the ship later that night and spoke to the passengers. He said that one reason he came aboard was "to get this completely straight."

He was very apologetic. He said that one port of the seven day "full Alaskan experience" would be lost. He promised that to make up for the fire and lost port, the passengers would receive a $250 credit to use on the ship. Plus, Kruse said that in order to make amends:

" . . . we will send you a note to give a 25% discount off a future Holland American Line cruise."

However, when a passenger later tried to a buy a cruise with the promised 25% discount, a HAL customer representative told the passenger that CEO Kruse had misspoke. The representative said that the 25% discount was good only for a cruise of a comparable price as the cruise in question on the Westerdam.

Of course, this is not what the cruise CEO said. Kruse was very deliberate, careful and precise with his words. "25% discount off a future Holland America Line cruise." There were no limitations, exclusions or caveats mentioned at all.

It would typically be 25% of what you paid on that cruise to apply on a subsequent cruise. So for example, if you paid $2,000.00 for your cruise fare you would get a $500.00 credit for use on a future cruise.

i was on the Westy for this cruise and not only heard the "speech" but received the letter stating 250 OBC and 25% discount based on the amount paid for the current Westy cruise. Overall a fair deal IMO. Booked a 17day Great Barrier Reef cruise on board :).

And now the other side of the story!