Crown Bay Docking

Loucat

We last docked in Crown Bay in 2012. It was fine with many open shops.

Having just docked there last week, there are many not great changes.

Many of the shops are now closed (is it due to summer?).

The taxi service was so disorganized. We were put into two different open air vehicles (one going to the beach; another with no room except for the dirty front seat next to the driver).

We left and walked back to the port and found a new van with working AC and paid the same price ($4.00 pp+ tip).

The area is very industrial.

What is up? They must receive cruise traffic but there is nothing at the docking area except for tourist stuff and jewerly shops.

We were the only ship in port and would have taken a taxi to Havensight but we were not sure many shops would be open.

Something has changed in St. Thomas. Even the main street downtown has mostly tourist shops.

I used to love shopping there. I wonder if it is their economy or if passengers are less likely to spend money on the island.

Havensight has stores also closing? I am sorry to read this; it has been one of my favorite islands.

Retail is suffering in the States and in the Caribbean. The stores on the ships compete head on with stores in the Caribbean, so yes, passengers are less likely to buy in port.

There are also too many stores and not an increase in customers. People are looking for deals, and the stores in the Caribbean are finding it harder and harder to offer deals now. It is sad.

Retail is suffering in the States and in the Caribbean. The stores on the ships compete head on with stores in the Caribbean, so yes, passengers are less likely to buy in port.

There are also too many stores and not an increase in customers. People are looking for deals, and the stores in the Caribbean are finding it harder and harder to offer deals now. It is sad.

One thing that I think would help improve sales for the Caribbean islands local economy would be if there would be a greater variety of items that are sold. Many islands have the same brands of stores selling the same stuff. And, if one does not want their "stuff", the money stays in the wallet.

Example: Many years ago I purchased a cashmere cardigan sweater made in the UK at a store in St. Thomas. It was not inexpensive when I bought it. But, it wore like iron! But, a couple of years ago, it was time to retire that sweater. When I next visited St. Thomas, I tried to find a comparable item and was prepared to pay what I thought would be a high price for comparable quality. I found not a sweater to be bought! When I talked to the owner of a small store in Charlotte Amalie and told him of my fruitless search that day, he bemoaned the fact that such items have been long gone for the shoppers. Liquor, cigarettes, jewelry, watches, some electronics: those are now the staples.

Something has changed in St. Thomas. Even the main street downtown has mostly tourist shops.

I used to love shopping there. I wonder if it is their economy or if passengers are less likely to spend money on the island.

Havensight has stores also closing? I am sorry to read this; it has been one of my favorite islands.

I have owned a home on St. John for 35 years. The shops on main street in St. Thomas have always been tourist shops. When a day occurs without any cruise ships--most of them are closed. Most of the main shops--AH Riise, Royal Caribbean, Mr table Cloth,Little Switzerland, etc have been around for years and years.

The street around Havensight has been undergoing extensive widening--but most shops have been there a while and continue. The new shopping area near Havensight named Yacht Haven Grande is very nice.

Crown Bay Marina was needed because of the number of cruise ships during the winter season. It has not been great for shopping IMHO--but it is an easy taxi ride downtown.

rkacruiser: The cruise ship passenger has changed considerably, even in the last 10 years. At one time people searched for places with high quality goods. Many people now want to but 3/$10 t-shirts and cheap Indonesian knickknacks at the Vendor's Plaza. The merchants who have been successful have been able to change with the times. Even on these boards you read posts on how to avoid spending money both on the cruise (sneaking alcohol on board) and in port (free and low cost activities). Not much demand for cashmere anymore, I guess it is available at the outlet mall near home.;)

I have to say that I have also noticed a difference in the locals on St. Thomas. If you take a walk into town and through the open air market I have found the vendors to not be all that friendly. I much prefer interacting with the locals on St. Maarten. And I used to really look forward to stopping at St. Thomas. Now if a ship is doing an alternating itinerary with St. Thomas on one and St. Maarten on the other I usually pick the one with St. Maarten.

• 2 weeks later...
It depends, which ship are you sailing on?

Oh, I didn't see your list of upcoming cruises. Princess usually docks at Crown Bay unless RCI's Oasis or Allure are in port. If they are then Princess moves to Havenshight and Oasis/Allure take Crown Bay.

I heard awhile ago that when CB was being developed Princess was given a break on port fees to dock its ships over there. I don't know if that arrangement is still in effect or not.

Edited by Ocean Boy

It is basically pub type fare. Okay food, good bar. Great place to wait for the Water Island ferry.

Thanks for the information on Tickles!

Betty ... Thank you also!

We are looking for a convenient place to meet some friends on Oasis OTS who will be docking at Crown Bay. Thinking Tickles would be a good place.

LuLu