Weather for cruise to Quebec in October

buddys mam

OK, so no one can predict what the weather will be like, but as we are flying from the UK a little advice with what to pack would be helpful. Layers will be the best option I guess, but should I bring big jumpers or light knits, sandals or boots, jeans or cut offs etc. Or a bit of everything! Many Thanks

I would bring layers, nothing too bulky, definitely fabrics to block the wind. Fleece vests are usually helpful. Long and 3/4 sleeved shirts will be more sensible, as there isn't a great deal of short sleeved weather in October, and any that you encounter won't last that long.

Sandals would be great around the pool and as slipper substitutes in your cabin. October is definitely shoes/boots and socks weather. :(

:D

No one knows what the weather may be like---including the weather experts on my local TV stations.

But, plan to dress in layers for certain. Windproof, rainproof outerware, hats, gloves, maybe a scarf would be my suggestion, particularly if any excursions are on or near water. Pack one pair of shorts just in case the weather is unseasonably warm. No boots

needed.

Hopefully, you will enjoy a colorful Fall cruise!

We have done two reposition cruise from Montral and Quebec City and one reposition from FL to Quebec City. On two of the cruises it actually snowed.

Last October the weather overall was quite nice but there were a couple of days of damp cool weather. Layers should work and inside the ship it was comfortable and most wore light clothing. We were headed to Florida.

Hi, the weather here is very varied in October. If you are cruising the first week you might be lucky and experience "Indian summer" which would mean pack some shorts for the daytime but generally slack, sleeved shirts and a hoodie and windbreaker would suffice. If you are near the end of October a heavy sweater or vest would be a welcome addition. Runners and/or waterproof shoes would be fine.

I am a sandal lover and wear them until the snow flies which can be late Oct but is usually Nov. or Dec.

The second Mon in October is Thanksgiving in Canada. Many shops will be closed, so keep that in the back of your mind. Also some Maritime provinces have limited Sunday shopping. Many tourist attractions are closed or limited hours after Thanksgiving.

Enjoy your trip to Canada and hopefully you be here for our annual fall colour show which is beautiful. Enjoy!

OK, so no one can predict what the weather will be like, but as we are flying from the UK a little advice with what to pack would be helpful. Layers will be the best option I guess, but should I bring big jumpers or light knits, sandals or boots, jeans or cut offs etc. Or a bit of everything! Many Thanks

2 years ago, aboard the Norwegian Dawn, Quebec City to Tampa....the weather was warm and sunny in mid-October in Quebec City, but extremely cold and windy , evening and early morning....about 6c.

Last year aboard the HAL Eurodam, arriving into Quebec City from NYC, mid-October, we experienced the same scenario as above.

Well if the weather continues like it has, it will be a cooler than normal October. Ontario just had its coolest July in 22 years. When I left the house today it was 11, granted, that is before sunrise. The high in Toronto today is 14.

Montreal has had it maginally nicer so you can never really tell. We used to get snow on Thanksgiving just off the St. Lawrence River, inland about 100 km, but if you hit "Indian summer" then it can be in the high 20s and sunny. But that is not the norm.

Maybe pack a t-shirt or two the rest long sleeved or 3/4 sleeved, a lined jacket (lined with polar fleece) or a padded vest and polar fleece jacket. If you hate cold then throw in a light hat or headband that will keep wind out of your ears and a light pair of gloves for the early mornings or after dark. Long pants would be a better idea than crops when outside.

I am not a boot person so I would wear hiking shoes or running shoes (trainers) with socks when off the ship. I save winter boots for when there is at least 2 inches of snow on the ground which you won't see.

Our nights have been so cold that some of our trees are starting their change...not many but there is colour starting to appear. My burning bushes are starting to turn red and the September flowers are already in full bloom.

Our cruise (a few years ago) we left NYC headed North the end of September. We started hitting rain storms in Halifax Nova Scotia and it continued to Quebec City and continued for about 5 days. And I mean heavy driving rain (not a light mist) on down the New England Coast. We arrived back into NYC mid-October to Sunshine.

The Fall colors were absolutely beautiful, and I got some good photos, even in the pouring rain, but riding in an open carriage, or going out to a Sugar Shack wasn't a lot of run in the pouring rain. They even had canvas tunnel/tents set up on the pier for boarding the ship. I had never seen that before.

Just be prepared and enjoy your cruise, whatever weather you encounter.

Many years ago, we took a Princess cruise from New York to Quebec, arriving in Quebec in the 3rd week of October. The cruise arrived in Quebec the evening before the last day of the cruise. We were looking forward to a day in Quebec. We had never been there before. The last day of the cruise, we awoke to snow in Quebec, and it snowed all day. I was raised in the north east, but have been in Florida for about 30 years. DH was born, and has spent all his life in Florida. He refused to leave the ship, so we spent all day watching it snow. I was sooooooooooo disappointed.

The morning of disembarkation, we had to get to the train station to catch a train to Montreal, where we were spending a few days before flying home. We got a cab, and the cab driver said that he didn't recall ever having to put his snow tires on that early in the year.

Lucky for us, we used missing Quebec as an excuse to book another cruise a few years later. That cruise went in the other direction, so we were able to get to Quebec a few days early and enjoy the city. No snow that trip.

As you observed it's a guess but I'd safely guess sandals won't be needed. I'm 99% confident you'll need neither snow boots nor cut offs. You might consider something water proof to wear on top of those jumpers (sweaters to us). Natives will be very much into fall colours -- no whites for sure.

Ruth

Since I live pretty darn close to Montreal, the weather is about identical to what we get in Ottawa.

Early October it may be up to about 28 degrees, and usually sunny. By the time Thanksgiving rolls around (always around October 10th), it may be between 18 to 32 degrees, so wear layers, it will get cool at night. Our thanksgiving weekend is usually THE best time to see the fall colours. We have been in our in ground pool at Thanksgiving, and other years we will be in sweaters.

Late October will be very windy and cool (6 to 17 degrees), by the very end of October, it may be quite rainy and cold. Bring warmer clothes. Sad to say, the leaves will be all gone from the trees :(

In Quebec City it will be quite a bit cooler than Montreal, it always is, even in summer.

Check out the Weather Network online just before you leave. It will give you vague idea what the weather will be like for the upcoming week. The weather here changes rapidly. Our as we say here "just wait 15 minutes and it will change".

As you observed it's a guess but I'd safely guess sandals won't be needed. I'm 99% confident you'll need neither snow boots nor cut offs. You might consider something water proof to wear on top of those jumpers (sweaters to us). Natives will be very much into fall colours -- no whites for sure.

Ruth

Definitely no boots or cut offs. As an FYI, folks in Montreal and Quebec City dress very fashionably. Don't worry about the old fashioned "don't wear white after labour day" stuff. Don't dress like a frumpy tourist. You will stand out a mile away and will be a target for pick pockets.