Exercise walking on Golden

jasbo49

Greetings:

My wife and I are going on the Golden Princess for a 4-day and a 3-day in October, and I'm looking over deck plans, not finding any dedicated jogging track. There's a kind of oval-shaped area on deck 16. Maybe that's it?

Anyhow, I'd be interested in info from anyone who's sailed on the Golden (or Grand or Star, which appear to be virtual clones). Where can I go to do some serious exercise walking (I don't actually jog)? Are there some options? Is the Promenade something that would work or is it too congested. We've staying on deck 8, so the Promenade would be a convenient place to keep those cruise calories from settling in.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Just off the Golden and we also had a cabin on Deck 8. Just walk down one flight to the Promenade Deck which goes completely around the ship. Two and a half times around equals 1 mile along with some steps. :D

I was able to run 30 miles for the week. Enjoy !!

The Golden's covered Promenade deck is good for a brisk walk which I do most days. There are some general patterns for when it's most crowded & have found that about 11:30 many go to lunch. If it gets too crowded you could do a similar brisk walk that loops along Sun deck & at the back of the ship go up the stairs to Sports deck for a complete circle of the ship like on Promenade deck.

I don't see the oval you mention on Deck 16.

There used to be a track on deck 16, but it was removed when the Sanctuary was installed.

Promenade deck is fine. Just realize that at the front of the ship you will go up to deck 8, go around the front, and then back down to deck 7.

Except when it's very windy (which may mean the bow will be close off), you can walk (or jog, which I don't do) around the Promenade deck (deck 7), but midway on both sides, you will have to go up some steps and back down some steps. Almost three laps will equal one mile. If the bow is closed off (which we encountered on one of our cruises on the Golden), you'll just turn around and go back the other way. But I don't know how that effects the distance. Maybe someone who took along a pedometer will post.

On the Princess ships I've sailed there is a sign somewhere on Promenade deck showing how many laps make a mile. That's been 2.5 to 2.8 laps but includes the deck 8 area. I don't worry about the distance as I know the pace I usually go & instead go by time.

• 2 months later...

We returned from the Golden B2B a week ago. Just thought I'd close the loop on this since I posed the question to start with. On our cruise they had the stairs to deck 8 chained off every time I looked, so the Promenade did not go all the way around the ship.

On the Sun Deck, you could also walk part way around but eventually the path led indoors to some suites. So realistically there was nowhere on the ship where you could walk or run a loop, at least when I was there.

Jim

As mentioned earlier, there used to be a true jogging track that was removed when the Sanctuary was installed.

The Promenade deck is really not designed for jogging, just walking.

You can try, but the path may be blocked by those strolling.

We are just off Golden this morning and were able to do full laps on the Promenade Deck except when they were having a crew drill in Ensenada. If you are jogging, be aware that there are a handful of cabins on the starboard side forward directly under the deck, and try to tread lightly, please. We were in one, and often heard some very heavy-footed runners early in the morning.

We also walk on Deck 15/16 - we start from outside the forward elevators, go up the aft stairs and cut across by the hot tubs, back down the stairs and forward around the gym. Our pedometers said that this route was just shy of 3 laps to the mile. If you really want a lap of the entire ship, you could take the stairs down to the aft pool and back up, but we didn't think that was necessary. And if you don't want to do any stairs, there's a door next to them that takes you through to the other side. The only downside is that there's a smoking section by the bar and we would have to inhale a few lungs full of smoke on each lap (not the best placement of a smoking section IMO as it's also right near the kids' clubs, but that's a different discussion topic).

We returned from the Golden B2B a week ago. Just thought I'd close the loop on this since I posed the question to start with. On our cruise they had the stairs to deck 8 chained off every time I looked, so the Promenade did not go all the way around the ship.

Jim

Just got off Golden... on our cruise, that area was only closed off at night. :) I spent a good half-hour contemplating the sea at the front of the bow on our sea day...

The stairs are usually chained off at night & reopen 7:00-7:30am. I beleive so as to give privacy to those forward cabins/balconies on deck 8.