Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

• 5 weeks later...
Anyone know how much the pass is to use the steam/sauna for the week?

On Oasis/Allure, it used to be around $100 (plus gratuity) for one or around $200 for a couples pass for a 7-night cruise.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

On Oasis/Allure, it used to be around $100 (plus gratuity) for one or around $200 for a couples pass for a 7-night cruise.

They had a "deal" the first day we arrived on Oasis in March. I want to say it was $150 for the week.

I would suggest buying it immediately when you get on board because they do limit the number of passes they sell because the thermal area (with the steam / sauna...etc) is so small. It was full almost every time I went in.

Lol, yes, who likes to spend time with their family on a cruise? ummm no one...good thing there are steam rooms to solve that issue. :D

Tell me about it! Went with much older family members last week---and spent most of my "away time" in the steam and sauna.

Had some amazing one-on-one personal conversations with a few staff/crew members in the steam room (my goal is to engage with as many crew members as possible on the cruises I take). Also met some fellow younger cruisers my age, and we had amazing repeat conversations in the sauna. It was hot in there and had an awesome time! :D

Sounds like you had a great time, I'm going to have to try a Carnival ship next time. I have to say my favourite so far has been NCL Jewel, great facilities and everyone was friendly and looking to chat :D

I'm off on the Empress of the Seas in a few weeks has anyone seen or know what the steam and sauna is like on this ship?

Hi, I can describe the NCL Jewel for everyone.

First in the Free Gym Locker room there is only a small steam room. It looked to fit about 4 to 6 people. It has a small bench, one shower and one toilet stall.

The Pay Thermal Spa is Highly worth the $149 we paid,...7-day for $149, or pay for a day pass $40.

In the male, clothing optional area, there are about 40 lockers and a large cedar bench, three showers, two sinks, a hair dryer and two toilets. They provide lots of towels and robes for use if you choose.

Thanks for the great detailed information. Is this true for their entire fleet?

There is a large steam room with seating for 8-12, a cold plunge pool for one, then a really large sauna with seating for about 15, with port side ocean views.

Do you say this because the cold plunge is physically sized for just one person, alone? Or because it would actually be dangerous or cause injury if someone else tried to "plunge" in while you were in there?

In the sauna there is only one small light, so after sundown there is privacy in the sauna for conversations while overlooking the ocean. You can see anyone coming in before they get to the door. :)

Yes those relaxing conversations in dim light are the best and most relaxing; it gets you relaxed & makes for a more intimate setting, and doesn't make you feel like you're in a brightly-lit zoo exhibit where everyone is peeking in at you. I guess you would want to prepare for someone entering, and not be startled while you are in the middle of your conversation.

Centered in the area of the steam and sauna is a station with a water fountain, bench and two 270-degree open showers for rinsing off between use. There are also two Tropical and/or Ice shower (you walk in, in a spiral, to get in there so there are no shower curtains.

You know, I never understood why so many locker rooms, both on land and on sea, have showers with curtains. I am from the old school and military life, where there were either open showers---or a round "shower station", in which guys stand around a long cylinder with about 4-5 shower heads surrounding it; and guys changed/undressed/dressed freely. My thought is: we're all men here, and if you're that insecure & need that much "privacy", then maybe you shouldn't be coming to a public place---you should shower at home.

There are also two Tropical and/or Ice shower (you walk in, in a spiral, to get in there so there are no shower curtains. You could fit two people in each discretely.

Now, why would someone need to fit two people in there? ;) :D Does it get that packed in there, where the shower stalls are "double-booked"? :rolleyes:

At the front of the room are 5 chairs with stools for relaxing, ice water. The view from the front of the male area was enough to keep us enjoying the male suite much of the day, especially when arriving into port or departing. After dinner it was nice to relax and have conversations with others before retiring for the night.

Yes, those are the things most important to me in the spa/locker area: a bench/place to rest between steam/sauna sessions; water/drinking fountain; the outward view (sometimes I will just stand there in my towel and get into a mesmerized daze, looking out of the windows)---so relaxing for the mind; and great conversations with others who are in there for similar reasons---to get away from wife/parents/friends, and have memorable interactions with other cruisers. :cool:

Edited by Cruise Stud

would you email me please, I have some sensitive questions I would like to ask you, if you would be so kind

frodo6969@yahoo.ca

Thanks for the great detailed information. Is this true for their entire fleet?

Do you say this because the cold plunge is physically sized for just one person, alone? Or because it would actually be dangerous or cause injury if someone else tried to "plunge" in while you were in there?

Yes those relaxing conversations in dim light are the best and most relaxing; it gets you relaxed & makes for a more intimate setting, and doesn't make you feel like you're in a brightly-lit zoo exhibit where everyone is peeking in at you. I guess you would want to prepare for someone entering, and not be startled while you are in the middle of your conversation.

You know, I never understood why so many locker rooms, both on land and on sea, have showers with curtains. I am from the old school and military life, where there were either open showers---or a round "shower station", in which guys stand around a long cylinder with about 4-5 shower heads surrounding it; and guys changed/undressed/dressed freely. My thought is: we're all men here, and if you're that insecure & need that much "privacy", then maybe you shouldn't be coming to a public place---you should shower at home.

Now, why would someone need to fit two people in there? ;) :D Does it get that packed in there, where the shower stalls are "double-booked"? :rolleyes:

Yes, those are the things most important to me in the spa/locker area: a bench/place to rest between steam/sauna sessions; water/drinking fountain; the outward view (sometimes I will just stand there in my towel and get into a mesmerized daze, looking out of the windows)---so relaxing for the mind; and great conversations with others who are in there for similar reasons---to get away from wife/parents/friends, and have memorable interactions with other cruisers. :cool:

I have to agree with a few of you guys here, it is nice to get away from the ones close to us even if only for an hour or so. I have been on a number of cruise ships and been to the gyms then headed off to steam/sauna for an hour or so. It has been great to meet others there who just want to get away and chat to others uninterupted and put the world to rights, met some great guys and had some great conversations.

I have been on the NCL Jewel, Norwegian Sun and i do like the set up of them with regarding the men only spas, my only issue is i dont want a day pass I would prefer a half day one but I can understand why they do day passes.

I am going on the Emerald Princess in a few weeks this has a nice sauna/steam also. This is the second time I have been on this ship.

If I can help with any information re NCL or Princess please do not hesitate to send me an email, I will respond.

Hi

Just booking Britannia and Rhapsody of the sea do u guys know what the facilities are like on these ships re sauna steam room.?

Just done Brilliance of the sea , still has a free guys only are for steam :) and sauna + a paid thermal suite area for couples

Sailing on NCL Spirit in a few months. From what I've read there is a sauna and a steam room in men's locker. Great! Last NCL ship I was on only had co-ed facilities that cost extra.

Being my first European cruise can I expect to see any difference in behavior/attitudes when enjoying these facilities?

Guessing I'll see fewer gents wearing swim trunks than I do in U.S. ports (or those in the full shoes, shorts and shirt combo) :D.

Hoping that I can still enjoy peace and quiet, maybe a couple of like-minded gents for company with a friendly conversation or two mixed in.

Anyone been on a RCI ship RECENTLY other than Freedom, Allure, or Oasis? Are the sauna/steamroom still free?

We go on a Royal cruise annually. Oasis/Allure and the ships built after all only have a thermal suite for a daily or weekly fee.

Otherwise, for the earlier ships that have sauna/steam room in the separate locker rooms, these are still free. We were on Vision of the seas this past January, for instance, which has both a sauna and steam room in the men's locker room, complimentary.

Can anyone provide some insight for the facilities on the different classes of Celebrity ships? Co-ed? Charged or free?

Sailed Celebrity Equinox summer 2015 - men's locker room with three shower stalls, and a men's only dry sauna (large enough for about 6-8). Well maintained and clean facility with towels.