Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

What are the sauna and steam room like? Male ONLY? Free?

Friendly atmosphere?

We are yet to sail on Serenade (less than a month now to wait). But we've learned from others on here that the sauna/steam room are separate and located in the respective locker rooms, so they are male only, in the men's locker room, and free. If you do a search, it's possible to find a few pictures online. Sounds like a fairly standard sauna, and a sort of horseshoe-shaped tile steam room. Usually a fairly friendly atmosphere on Royal's ships with the separate saunas/steam rooms. Obviously mostly passengers, but occasionally crew/staff members stop in, for sweating and conversation.

We are yet to sail on Serenade (less than a month now to wait). But we've learned from others on here that the sauna/steam room are separate and located in the respective locker rooms, so they are male only, in the men's locker room, and free. If you do a search, it's possible to find a few pictures online. Sounds like a fairly standard sauna, and a sort of horseshoe-shaped tile steam room. Usually a fairly friendly atmosphere on Royal's ships with the separate saunas/steam rooms. Obviously mostly passengers, but occasionally crew/staff members stop in, for sweating and conversation.

I am on Serenade this week. The steam room is only a "hot and humid" room as there is no steam. The showers have no hot water (this is the 4th day of a 10 night cruise), but they are saying that will be repaired soon (not the steam room, however). Because of that, things are not as 'friendly' as one would hope for, but there is still about a week to go, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that all improves. One nice thing is that the spa is open till 10pm, so there might be possible times to converse in the evening when everyone is at dinner or the shows.

I am on Serenade this week. The steam room is only a "hot and humid" room as there is no steam. The showers have no hot water (this is the 4th day of a 10 night cruise), but they are saying that will be repaired soon (not the steam room, however). Because of that, things are not as 'friendly' as one would hope for, but there is still about a week to go, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that all improves. One nice thing is that the spa is open till 10pm, so there might be possible times to converse in the evening when everyone is at dinner or the shows.

Is there a visible sensor on the wall somewhere in the steam room? Usually there is something like a metal probe or small sensor in a housing. If you hit it with cold water, it can trigger some steam production. This was on Voyager-class ships, but maybe you'll find the same setup on SoS. Best of luck with the rest of the cruise!

Can someone comment on the Norwegian Epic's facilities?

I did a search and have read the steam/sauna is same sex in the locker rooms and also have read co-ed only. I have been on the breakaway and they are co-ed only and a charge for the day/week.

is epic the same?

Dennis,

On the Epic you will need to buy the week spa pass to have access to the steam and sauna.

Access to the spa is via the men's locker room. The locker room has three frosted glass showers and 50+ lockers plus a lounge area.

Inside the men's locker room you'll also find a large steam room with black tiled benches running along each wall. It fits 8-10 comfortably. But when I was on the Epic this summer I never saw more than 2 other guys in there at any time. There is also the smallest sauna I have ever seen, it seats 2 people and you have to crawl over each other to get in and out.

In the coed spa area there is a large pool with various jets and waterfalls. There is also a large steam room and two large saunas with floor to ceiling windows looking out the side of the ship.

I believe the Epic was the last ship in the NCL fleet which was designed with separate men's and women's steam and saunas. All the newer ships I have been on have coed facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe the Epic was the last ship in the NCL fleet which was designed with separate men's and women's steam and saunas. All the newer ships I have been on have coed facilities.

Forums

Thank you for the info. I truly wish the breakaway followed the Epic's layout.

We loved the breakaway other than the spa setup.

It would be great to sail EPIC for my husband's big birthday next year :) plus we get to see Priscilla Queen of The Desert.

Priscilla was amazing! I would say it's the best show we've seen on a ship.

We also loved the breakaway, it's a great ship aside from the spa. I just wish NCL would return to the spa layout of the jewel class ships. The separate male and female spa areas with full amenities are fantastic.

I know there is a big men's only section of the pa that costs $$$ per day or per cruise. There are also apparently a free steamroom in the locker rooms?

Anyone who's been on the Gem, did you try both the paid and free facilities?

Was the free steam any good?

For the paid version, did you buy the pass for the entire cruise or just buy the daily pass? $199 seems pricey to me especially when in port 50% of the days. That said, if the paid for spa is that enjoyable it would be a small price to pay.

Edited by OntarioBiMe

Anyone who's been on the Gem, did you try both the paid and free facilities?

Was the free steam any good?

The jewel class ships all have a similar layout. They have a small change room attached to the gym, which is free to use. The change room has a small number of lockers, a toilet, a urinal, and a shower. There is a small steam room which seats two people, three if we don't mind getting close. Personally I would pay for the spa access, it is well worth the money.

The jewel class ships all have a similar layout. They have a small change room attached to the gym, which is free to use. The change room has a small number of lockers, a toilet, a urinal, and a shower. There is a small steam room which seats two people, three if we don't mind getting close. Personally I would pay for the spa access, it is well worth the money.

Thanks Twallo.

I'll get the pass but will likely check out the small, free steamroom once in awhile too....just to check it out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a cruise on the Celebrity Constellation. It is quite sometime since I was last on this ship and cannot totally recall the spa situation. If i am correct i do remember a nice sized sauna in the gents changing rooms which has two port holes. I cant remember if there is a Steamroom or not, can anyone assist?

Spent a lot of time in the sauna.

There is no steam room that is free. Persian Gardens( which you have to pay for unless in Aqua Class) has a steam room, which is not worth the cost.. The free sauna has a window looking outside and 2 windows that staff can look in.

Had some very interesting conversations in the sauna

Just booked a cruise on the Celebrity Constellation. It is quite sometime since I was last on this ship and cannot totally recall the spa situation. If i am correct i do remember a nice sized sauna in the gents changing rooms which has two port holes. I cant remember if there is a Steamroom or not, can anyone assist?

Spent a lot of time in the sauna.

There is no steam room that is free. Persian Gardens( which you have to pay for unless in Aqua Class) has a steam room, which is not worth the cost.. The free sauna has a window looking outside and 2 windows that staff can look in.

Had some very interesting conversations in the sauna

Any chance you could email me please worldtravellerus

Anyone have any clue on how the sauna/steam setup is on the Harmony of the Seas? Co-ed or separate men's only?

I believe that they don't have any free on board, just a co-ed facility which you have to pay extra for.

The main reason we won't be sailing on these ships.

Anyone have any clue on how the sauna/steam setup is on the Harmony of the Seas? Co-ed or separate men's only?

Co-ed, and for pay only on the Oasis Class ships:

Oasis, Allure, and Harmony.

Co-ed, and for pay only on the Quantum Class ships:

Quantum, Ovation, and Anthem.

Nothing at all on the Sovereign Class ships:

Majesty, and Empress.

Nothing on Enchantment, but the other Vision Class ships all do have

separate, free facilities.

Separate, free facilities on Radiance Class, Voyager Class, and Freedom Class ships.

Co-ed, and for pay only on the Oasis Class ships:

Oasis, Allure, and Harmony.

Co-ed, and for pay only on the Quantum Class ships:

Quantum, Ovation, and Anthem.

Nothing at all on the Sovereign Class ships:

Majesty, and Empress.

Nothing on Enchantment, but the other Vision Class ships all do have

separate, free facilities.

Separate, free facilities on Radiance Class, Voyager Class, and Freedom Class ships.

Ugh. Thanks! Are there at least showers in the free locker rooms? Where do you shower if you're in the wet spa?

I believe that they don't have any free on board, just a co-ed facility which you have to pay extra for.

The main reason we won't be sailing on these ships.

Not meaning to get too far off-topic, I can start a new thread but I am interested in what everyone does if they're on a ship without single-sex sauna/steam.

What does everyone do to replace their relaxation time? Use the co-ed facilities? Hang out at your or a buddys cabin or other?

Have a cruise coming up on a ship with only co-ed facilities at a hefty price, not even a shower in the locker room for after working out from what I read....am going to miss my relaxation time.

Not meaning to get too far off-topic, I can start a new thread but I am interested in what everyone does if they're on a ship without single-sex sauna/steam.

What does everyone do to replace their relaxation time? Use the co-ed facilities? Hang out at your or a buddys cabin or other?

Have a cruise coming up on a ship with only co-ed facilities at a hefty price, not even a shower in the locker room for after working out from what I read....am going to miss my relaxation time.

So far I have avoided booking a cruise where the ship only had co-ed facilities. If I do ever venture on one (and I'll do my best to avoid this), I suppose I would use the co-ed facilities.

Hi I am traveling on this ship next year. Was the question ever answered on whether there is a complimentary or paid sauna steam area? Is it coed or single sex?

Any able to chime in with definite information?

Nope - no complimentary steam room or sauna area on the royal class ships (Regal and Royal princess).

There is what they call the Enclave within the Lotus spa on deck 5 forward. Probably the most impressive of any princess ships with a nice hot (and large) spa with various water massaging jets, and fountains, and seating. Ceramic beds (but cold ones), 2 very hot steam type areas and a cool sauna type area. Water beds, cold towels etc.

Problem is that it is deck 5 forward on this ship, and not complimentary, quite expensive infact (although best Princess sauna/steam type area). The other problem is that the Gym is on deck 17 Aft, with 2 small change rooms (male/female) with no sauna, steam.

I must prefer the Grand Class princess ships, as they have the complimentary steam room and sauna in the men's change areas, as well as the Thermal suite (area of steam rooms and warm ceramic beds for a fee, or complimentary with a Spa treatment), the Gym and the Adults only pool and spas...all in the same area so you can migrate between them all easily without going into other public areas of the ship (ie - like the Ruby you travelled on previously.)

So far I have avoided booking a cruise where the ship only had co-ed facilities. If I do ever venture on one (and I'll do my best to avoid this), I suppose I would use the co-ed facilities.

So do we. We generally stick to the Princess Grand class ships (not the Grand or Golden) like the Ruby, Emerald, Crown, or even the Sapphire and Diamond.

We're in our late 30's and reasonably fit, so we like that the Gym is in the same vacinity as the Male only Steam and Sauna as well as the Adults only pool and spa etc).

In fact we were a bit spoilt for choice on the Diamond Princess, because as well as the complimentary Sauna and Steam in the male change rooms by the Gym, and the Thermal suite in the Lotus spa, there is also IZUMI's which is another area on deck 15 aft made to resemble a Japanese bath house. Its women only on one side, and men only on the other (identical mirror image), with various spas, saunas, massage jets etc and sea views. The unique feature of IZUMIS is that while bathers is optional in the mens sauna and steam in the gym change room area, here bathers are not allowed. So it's nude up or don't go in. There is a co-ed pagodo outside where you must put bathers back on to use.