Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Here is my best attempt at summarizing the posts in this thread from the past few years (did not go back further in case of updates to ships).

Here are the ships/classes that DO have a MEN's ONLY Sauna facility of some sort:

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Triumph

Carnival Victory

Celebrity (All Millenium Class)

Celebrity (All Solstice Class)

Cunard Queen Elizabeth

Cunard Queen Victoria

Disney Magic

Norwegian Epic

Norwegian Gem

Norwegian Jade

Norwegian Jewel

Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Sun

P&O Ventura

Princess Diamond Princess

Princess Emerald Princess

Princess Pacific Princess

Princess Sea Princes

Royal Caribbean (All Freedom Class)

Royal Caribbean (All Radiance Class)

Royal Caribbean (All Vision Class except Enchantment)

Royal Caribbean (All Voyager Class)

Royal Caribbean Brillance of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas

Please Note: This is not an authoritative list and have neither sailed on (except Celebrity Equinox) nor confirmed the men's sauna configuration of the ships on this list. I have just tried to gather the information shared on this thread (not the entire thread).

If you have any corrections or additions, please reply!

Thanks so much to all of you who have posted this information! I've not sailed much yet, but plan to do so and the men's only sauna area is a deciding factor for me in choosing a ship.

Happy Sailing!

I have done Brilliance and Vision recently , they where both free and male only , I thought Brilliance was a bit better set up

So, we were last on Vision, and I was surprised at how small the actual locker are was and how much wasted space there was in the men's sauna/steam room area, especially the weird open shower thing off to the side. Our next cruise is on Serenade, which is the same class as Brilliance. I'm curious what the setup is like (hopefully they are similar). Can you describe the layout on Brilliance?

So, we were last on Vision, and I was surprised at how small the actual locker are was and how much wasted space there was in the men's sauna/steam room area, especially the weird open shower thing off to the side. Our next cruise is on Serenade, which is the same class as Brilliance. I'm curious what the setup is like (hopefully they are similar). Can you describe the layout on Brilliance?

I will be on Serenade in a few days, and on Brilliance after that. I have sailed both ships in the past. They are very similar in layout.

I can write with details, or answer any questions on Monday, 29 August.

I will be on Serenade in a few days, and on Brilliance after that. I have sailed both ships in the past. They are very similar in layout.

I can write with details, or answer any questions on Monday, 29 August.

Thanks much. I'm just curious how the area is laid out on Serenade. Maybe a picture or two if possible ...

Enjoy your cruises!

Thanks much. I'm just curious how the area is laid out on Serenade. Maybe a picture or two if possible ...

Enjoy your cruises!

Recently off Brilliance and were on Serenade in 2011.

The sauna/steam set up is quite good. A reasonable sizes sauna, probably hold 15 people but never seen that many in it. The steam is a smaller circular design holding 6 comfortably, again rarely seen many in here.

On Brilliance there are 4 showers is groups of two, very nice but when we were on Brilliance they were in need of some maintenance.

On Serenade and Jewel, on of the shower units has been split to form a separate disabled shower, other than that they are the same.

There are plenty of benches and a water fountain.

Any more questions, please ask and I'll try to help.

Hey twallo, Are you back from Empress of the Seas yet? I know they were doing massive renovations on the ship, any feedback on the facilities?

Sounds like you had a great time, I'm going to have to try a Carnival ship next time. I have to say my favourite so far has been NCL Jewel, great facilities and everyone was friendly and looking to chat :D

I'm off on the Empress of the Seas in a few weeks has anyone seen or know what the steam and sauna is like on this ship?

Hey twallo, Are you back from Empress of the Seas yet? I know they were doing massive renovations on the ship, any feedback on the facilities?

Hey day@sea we had to switch sailings we are now on the sept 12 sailing. I'll post what I find when I get back. But from I've heard they have no facilities at all :(

The sauna/steam set up is quite good. A reasonable sizes sauna, probably hold 15 people but never seen that many in it. The steam is a smaller circular design holding 6 comfortably, again rarely seen many in here.

On Brilliance there are 4 showers is groups of two, very nice but when we were on Brilliance they were in need of some maintenance.

On Serenade and Jewel, on of the shower units has been split to form a separate disabled shower, other than that they are the same.

There are plenty of benches and a water fountain.

Hello from Serenade. All of the above is correct.

There are 24 lockers, some of which have keys at the desk to lock.

The first area with the lockers has some bench seating as well as the two benches in the room with the showers, sauna and steam rooms. Those benches are smaller and hold only two people per bench.

So far, towels have been in very short supply. It hasn't been busy yet, but as of tomorrow, this could be an issue and I will have to keep an extra in the locker just in case.

There could be more actual steam in the steam room. The sauna is fairly hot and does heat up more if water is poured on the unit.

I hope that these details help. Ask if any questions arise. I plan to be in the spa for the next couple of days until we reach Iceland.

Hello from Serenade. All of the above is correct.

There are 24 lockers, some of which have keys at the desk to lock.

The first area with the lockers has some bench seating as well as the two benches in the room with the showers, sauna and steam rooms. Those benches are smaller and hold only two people per bench.

So far, towels have been in very short supply. It hasn't been busy yet, but as of tomorrow, this could be an issue and I will have to keep an extra in the locker just in case.

There could be more actual steam in the steam room. The sauna is fairly hot and does heat up more if water is poured on the unit.

I hope that these details help. Ask if any questions arise. I plan to be in the spa for the next couple of days until we reach Iceland.

Thanks again for the info. We had the key/locker issue on Vision on our last cruise. There were only six working locker keys, until I complained up the ladder and finally saw a maintenance crew in there checking all the keys/locks. Of course it didn't help much for our cruise, but I'm hoping they did something about it thereafter. Never had a towel problem, though.

We've noticed that you can often find the sensor in the steam room and cool it off with a spritz of cold water, and that will often get the steam rolling in.

Here is my best attempt at summarizing the posts in this thread from the past few years (did not go back further in case of updates to ships).

Here are the ships/classes that DO have a MEN's ONLY Sauna facility of some sort:

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Triumph

Carnival Victory

Celebrity (All Millenium Class)

Cunard Queen Elizabeth

Cunard Queen Victoria

Disney Magic

Norwegian Epic

Norwegian Gem

Norwegian Jade

Norwegian Jewel

Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Sun

P&O Ventura

Princess Sea Princes

Royal Caribbean Brillance of the Seas

Please Note: This is not an authoritative list and have neither sailed on (except Celebrity Equinox) nor confirmed the men's sauna configuration of the ships on this list. I have just tried to gather the information shared on this thread (not the entire thread).

Thanks so much to all of you who have posted this information! I've not sailed much yet, but plan to do so and the men's only sauna area is a deciding factor for me in choosing a ship.

Happy Sailing!

I was going to start planning my next cruise and needed to narrow down the "Great, Good and Don't Bother" ships. (I really don't care about the ports of calls, been there, done that!) This list will be very helpful for cruise planning.

Thanks for the great detailed information. Is this true for their entire fleet?

<<< This is just for the Jewel Class ships: Jewel, Gem, Pearl and Jade. >>>

Do you say this because the cold plunge is physically sized for just one person, alone? Or because it would actually be dangerous or cause injury if someone else tried to "plunge" in while you were in there?

<<< It is seriously the size of a home bathtub sitting on a pedestal. >>>

Yes those relaxing conversations in dim light are the best and most relaxing; it gets you relaxed & makes for a more intimate setting, and doesn't make you feel like you're in a brightly-lit zoo exhibit where everyone is peeking in at you. I guess you would want to prepare for someone entering, and not be startled while you are in the middle of your conversation.

<<< Especially if you are in deep in a conversation, because you have to be discrete. I did have an interesting conversation with the Gym Manager, when I asked him how he flexed his pectoral muscles. He was super friendly. >>>

You know, I never understood why so many locker rooms, both on land and on sea, have showers with curtains. I am from the old school and military life, where there were either open showers---or a round "shower station", in which guys stand around a long cylinder with about 4-5 shower heads surrounding it; and guys changed/undressed/dressed freely. My thought is: we're all men here, and if you're that insecure & need that much "privacy", then maybe you shouldn't be coming to a public place---you should shower at home.

<<< I tried to show everyone that it was okay to shower out there, they finally caught on by the end of the cruise. >>>

Now, why would someone need to fit two people in there? ;) :D Does it get that packed in there, where the shower stalls are "double-booked"? :rolleyes:

<<< Safety first, bodyguard :D >>>

Yes, those are the things most important to me in the spa/locker area: a bench/place to rest between steam/sauna sessions; water/drinking fountain; the outward view (sometimes I will just stand there in my towel and get into a mesmerized daze, looking out of the windows)---so relaxing for the mind; and great conversations with others who are in there for similar reasons---to get away from wife/parents/friends, and have memorable interactions with other cruisers. :cool:

<<< I agree 100% >>>

Edited by RydingWaves
did not appear inline as I wished.

Hi

Just seen this

Think your question has been answered . The Brilliance steam / sauna area looks like it could do with a update , but at least its free , Good sized steam room circular , very dim lighting , the sauna was decent size , very bright lighting , the showers are in groups of 2 u turn left or right when u enter , but no curtains .

It got quite busy towards end of cruise :D

ps ..we r back on Vision in Oct

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Triumph

Carnival Victory

Carnival Sensation

Celebrity (All Millennium Class)

Cunard Queen Elizabeth

Cunard Queen Victoria

Disney Magic

Fred olsen Braemar

Norwegian Epic

Norwegian Gem

Norwegian Jade

Norwegian Jewel

Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Pride

P&O Ventura

PO Azura

Princess Sea Princess

Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas

Happy Sailing!

Thats a great job u done there .

I've added

Azura / PO

Carnival Sensation

NCL Pride

Fred olsen Braemar

they're all free:)

Edited by tonygcharles

Hi

Just seen this

Think your question has been answered . The Brilliance steam / sauna area looks like it could do with a update , but at least its free , Good sized steam room circular , very dim lighting , the sauna was decent size , very bright lighting , the showers are in groups of 2 u turn left or right when u enter , but no curtains .

It got quite busy towards end of cruise :D

ps ..we r back on Vision in Oct

Thanks for the additional info--we'll have to see how Serenade compares. On Vision, the lights were actually on dimmer switches for the steam room and sauna. The showers sound different. Most of the ones we've seen on RCI ships are open to the locker area or sauna area, but have frosted glass doors of some sort.

Hi

Yes I remember the dimmer switch , I like them low

:)

I noticed your doing Freedom next year, I'm on there in February from fort Lauderdale

will update when I return

Should be a good cruise from there . done Oasis from FL was very good

Hope yr cruise on Serenade was fun :)

I am in Aqua Class on the Connie and can use the steam room and sauna in the Persian Gardens.

Are they co-ed?

Do you have to wear a bathing suit?

I much prefer going au naturel

Persian Gardens in all X ships are co-ed. There is a sauna free of charge in Connie in the pool/fitness center locker room (single gender.)

Hey days@sea, I'm on the Empress right now and it's a lovely ship, the renovations have left her is good shape. But I am sad to say they didn't spend much on the spa or gym.

The gym is really an after thought, they placed it out in the open in the balcony area of the Viking Crown lounge. There is no change rooms or showers available, you basically have to walk your sweaty post workout self through the lounge to exit. It's a similar situation to get to the rock wall, you have to go through the lounge.

The spa in small, I believe I counted 6 treatment rooms, one being a couples massage room. Other than the showers in some of the rooms there is no wet area at all, no sauna or steam coed or single sexed.

From these two fronts the ship is a disappointment but elsewhere it is a perfect small ship for a short get away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey days@sea, I'm on the Empress right now and it's a lovely ship, the renovations have left her is good shape. But I am sad to say they didn't spend much on the spa or gym.

The gym is really an after thought, they placed it out in the open in the balcony area of the Viking Crown lounge. There is no change rooms or showers available, you basically have to walk your sweaty post workout self through the lounge to exit. It's a similar situation to get to the rock wall, you have to go through the lounge.

The spa in small, I believe I counted 6 treatment rooms, one being a couples massage room. Other than the showers in some of the rooms there is no wet area at all, no sauna or steam coed or single sexed.

From these two fronts the ship is a disappointment but elsewhere it is a perfect small ship for a short get away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I dont think I will be alone on this thread in saying that this is exactly the kind of cruise ship I will not ever bother booking. It will be a big shame if this is the way many cruise lines are going to go.