Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

On 3/11/2019 at 11:45 AM, twallo said:

Talked to the spa receptionist this morning. Navigator does not have a thermal suite. They do have a steam room for use before or after a treatment. She didn’t have information about the fitness centre facilities as she hasn’t seen them yet. I guess we all have to wait and see. I’ll post an update if the fitness centre opens before the end of the cruise.

Thanks again for the info. It used to be easy to know which of Royal's ships I liked, and now many of them will be different from the rest of their class. When Oasis first came out, it was difficult to get information, even from (or should that be "especially from") the cruise line itself about whether there were locker rooms and free steam/sauna facilities in the fitness center. We booked not knowing for sure and found ourselves disappointed. At the time they were saying Oasis had both the thermal suite and free facilities, which we of course found out wasn't the case.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

2 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Thanks again for the info. It used to be easy to know which of Royal's ships I liked, and now many of them will be different from the rest of their class. When Oasis first came out, it was difficult to get information, even from (or should that be "especially from") the cruise line itself about whether there were locker rooms and free steam/sauna facilities in the fitness center. We booked not knowing for sure and found ourselves disappointed. At the time they were saying Oasis had both the thermal suite and free facilities, which we of course found out wasn't the case.

Since the fitness centre doesn’t look like it will open this cruise I decided to get a massage and use the stream in the spa. Attached are a few pics of the renovated spa on Navigator of the Seas. The locker room is tiny you really can’t have more than a couple of guys in there at a time since it’s very narrow. There is 6 lockers, two toilets, two showers and a very small steam room which can sit 3 guys knocking knees together. The finishes are very nice. Hopefully there will be something similar in the fitness centre once it opens. 

13900496-3E59-4541-8B0C-205CA38F358E.jpeg

CEC0AC2F-5BA6-4686-B5C9-F84AE8A8413B.jpeg

218E06AE-BB34-4228-BA08-943F1C317AC6.jpeg

From what I see by studying the deck plans of Royal Caribbean and Carnival and Celebrity and by paying attention to comments made by fellow bloggers, one can no longer make assumptions about locker room sauna and steam that we formerly made. Royal Caribbean has been removing free sauna and steam from its mid-sized ships. In the past, Carnival could be relied upon to have free steam/sauna, but some of its ships now have sauna only. Celebrity has been down-grading its once generous saunas and seems not to have included them in its newest ship.. For me, this is a disappointing trend and affects my decisions about which cruises I choose. Holland America seems consistent about having free sauna, even on its new ships. Princess hasn't removed them from the ships that I've looked at. I hope those companies continue to see the advantage of having them.    

1 hour ago, ouse456 said:

From what I see by studying the deck plans of Royal Caribbean and Carnival and Celebrity and by paying attention to comments made by fellow bloggers, one can no longer make assumptions about locker room sauna and steam that we formerly made. Royal Caribbean has been removing free sauna and steam from its mid-sized ships. In the past, Carnival could be relied upon to have free steam/sauna, but some of its ships now have sauna only. Celebrity has been down-grading its once generous saunas and seems not to have included them in its newest ship.. For me, this is a disappointing trend and affects my decisions about which cruises I choose. Holland America seems consistent about having free sauna, even on its new ships. Princess hasn't removed them from the ships that I've looked at. I hope those companies continue to see the advantage of having them.    

Hi

What ships have Royal removed it's free sauna - steam rooms ?

I sail with RC l a lot

I know oasis style ships up don't have them 

On 3/24/2019 at 5:57 AM, Repositioner said:

Does anyone have recent experience with the Grand Princess?  

Thanks!

I haven't sailed on Grand for awhile, but it has the typical Princess Grand-class locker room/steam room/sauna set up that is on all Grand-class ships (i.e. men on starboard side; women on port side) Towels, showers and wash basins are available, and there is no charge for any of the above. Just ask for a locker key at the spa reception desk, and the locker room entrance is just around the corner. Enjoy.

I was on the Independence last fall.  The renovation were all positive. The changes did not have any affect on the fitness and change room areas.  There is a large single sex sauna and steam room in both the men's and women's locker rooms.  There are 4 showers in the men's locker room. 3 with frosted glass doors are located just past the lockers and 1 with a shower curtain is located across for the steam room.  This is the best sauna and steam room design I have found on any ship. Plenty of towels and a water fountain in the changing room. The attendants do a great job keeping the area spotlessly clean yet they never disturb the guests using the facility. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from 60 days on HAL Volendam to find the Men's Sauna intact. Mornings (after workout) and afternoons (3pm)  seem to attract a mature, intelligent group of guys, European, Canadian and American.  Dinnertime and just before closing will usually find a couple of officers.  Of course, the itinerary and sea/port days make all the difference in what type of guys will be utilizing the Sauna.  Almost any day was sure to find friendly guys willing to share the heat.

NOTE:  The Volendam goes into dry dock in OCT/2019 and I could not get much info on how it will affect the sauna.  An officer told me that only cosmetic changes would be made, carpeting, upholstery, new paint, new look for the cabins and no additional cabins will be installed.  Next up > 51 days on the Amsterdam (not the Niew Amsterdam) in OCT/2019, South Pacific, r/t San Diego.  Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

Hi, just of the NCL Jade, April 1st.  On the Jewel Class ships (Jewel, Jade, Gem and Pearl) they have a sauna in the men's room of the Gym.  The thermal suite which was $219 for 10 days was single sex with all the works.  But they have changed the rules to state that a swim suit is required at all times.  These notices are posted on all doors and walls and entrances to the sauna and steam room too.  Everyone followed this except for me and another passenger.  

Unfortunately there were no detailed conversations in the steam room or sauna because of this rule.  Plus I never saw more than 8 other people use the spa.  I mean to say that I saw the same 8 people over the 10 day cruise, usually one or two in the spa at a time.  I have decided that I will not pay for a thermal spa on any future cruises as the single sex thermal spas are being phased out.

One other note:  on the Jade, they are remodeling the spa to match the other ships in the class in November of 2020.  The Jewel is being remodeled in September of 2020.  They are removing the whirlpool in the single sex sides and replacing them with individual tub style hot tubs.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:43 AM, willcan said:

Does anyone have any information on Norwegian ships? I'm looking for a ship with a free single sex sauna and steam room possibly off the gym.  Also wonder if any are open 24/7. 

Any specific info on NCL Getaway available?  I'm one of the 6k "stranded" Oasis OTS trans-Atlantic passengers which got cancelled after the ship had been spanked on the butt by a crane in drydock.  Know that on Oasis there's no steam/sauna, but now that I'm forced to try NCL to get back to Europe it would be nice to now of if there are some added values.

Edited by Stealthmode
typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, willcan said:

Although it has yet to be confirmed 100% we fear Royal has removed the single sex sauna and or steam from the Navigator. 

There was a post a couple of days ago where I had asked the person to check out the new fitness center on Navigator, and she said she found no locker rooms, just an area with a few small lockers. Apparently the only sauna on the ship is a small one in the spa that is only for the use of paying spa guests (as reported elsewhere).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, RydingWaves said:

Hi, just of the NCL Jade, April 1st.  On the Jewel Class ships (Jewel, Jade, Gem and Pearl) they have a sauna in the men's room of the Gym.  The thermal suite which was $219 for 10 days was single sex with all the works.  But they have changed the rules to state that a swim suit is required at all times.  These notices are posted on all doors and walls and entrances to the sauna and steam room too.  Everyone followed this except for me and another passenger.  

Unfortunately there were no detailed conversations in the steam room or sauna because of this rule.  Plus I never saw more than 8 other people use the spa.  I mean to say that I saw the same 8 people over the 10 day cruise, usually one or two in the spa at a time.  I have decided that I will not pay for a thermal spa on any future cruises as the single sex thermal spas are being phased out.

One other note:  on the Jade, they are remodeling the spa to match the other ships in the class in November of 2020.  The Jewel is being remodeled in September of 2020.  They are removing the whirlpool in the single sex sides and replacing them with individual tub style hot tubs.

Sad and silly to hear about the bathing suit required signs posted on the Jade.  I will stick to wrapping a towel around when I walk and sit on it in sauna, maybe one covering my lap just to satisfy the prudes.

My last cruise on the Gem there were no signs but will see if they are on her as well my next Gem cruise in November. 

Last Gem cruise there were no signs but 90% of all guys wore trunks anyway.  Me and one other guy sat on towels, another couple guys would wrap towels tightly,  everyone dressed for the pool! 

I got several odd looks walking from shower area to the sauna nude while carrying a towel to sit on and one around my neck for perspiration.  I am used to gym locker where everyone is nude (or maybe has a towel) from the moment they head from locker to shower to sauna/steam and back again

The Gem sauna was nice but boring, great place to just think in silence as rarely anyone there and when there was another guest(s) using the facility there was no chatting/small talk etc over the entire 11 or 12 day cruise.  Guys would keep to themselves in awkward silence. Wasn't until the final night, in the free steam room in the gym locker did I bump into a nice gent and finally got to relax and enjoy a friendly chat.

Hoping for the best for next Gem cruise!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 2:16 PM, OntarioBiMe said:

Sad and silly to hear about the bathing suit required signs posted on the Jade.  I will stick to wrapping a towel around when I walk and sit on it in sauna, maybe one covering my lap just to satisfy the prudes.

My last cruise on the Gem there were no signs but will see if they are on her as well my next Gem cruise in November. 

Last Gem cruise there were no signs but 90% of all guys wore trunks anyway.  Me and one other guy sat on towels, another couple guys would wrap towels tightly,  everyone dressed for the pool! 

I got several odd looks walking from shower area to the sauna nude while carrying a towel to sit on and one around my neck for perspiration.  I am used to gym locker where everyone is nude (or maybe has a towel) from the moment they head from locker to shower to sauna/steam and back again

The Gem sauna was nice but boring, great place to just think in silence as rarely anyone there and when there was another guest(s) using the facility there was no chatting/small talk etc over the entire 11 or 12 day cruise.  Guys would keep to themselves in awkward silence. Wasn't until the final night, in the free steam room in the gym locker did I bump into a nice gent and finally got to relax and enjoy a friendly chat.

Ontario, I wish you good luck and nice conversations on your NCL Gem Cruise.  Please update us on the situation.  I myself will be trying Celebrity for my next two cruises.  Eclipse this October (15 days to Hawaii) and the Summit next October (through the Panama Canal.)  We are skipping the "for fee" sauna and steam area, but hopefully we will be able to run into some nice chatty people at the Martini Bar (fingers crossed.)

On 5/1/2019 at 3:16 PM, OntarioBiMe said:

When are your next cruises? Would love to cruise when others that love the steam and sauna are as well.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 2:43 AM, FLSpaGuy said:

When are your next cruises? Would love to cruise when others that love the steam and sauna are as well.

I'm sailing of the Victory next Monday.  I will be in the steam/sauna everyday -- morning and late afternoon.  Hopefully there will be others to talk to in there.  I'm sailing solo this time, so I'll be looking for conversation.

I'll be the one without a bathing suit on.  I like to sweat all of my body!

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 3:16 PM, OntarioBiMe said:

Ontario, I'm like you.  No bathing suits or towels (except to sit on).  I'll never understand the prudishness of some, especially in same sex situations.

• Like 2

Surprisingly few guys in the Eurodam sauna last week to Alaska! I normally really enjoy my sauna time and stopped by for a couple of hours each afternoon, varied the time and even checked it out in the morning. An all time low of only 3 guys, each dropping in just once during the cruise. Two wore suits and stared straight ahead, the third sat on his towel, but didn't speak English, so no communication. Sigh... got used to sitting on my towel quietly. Not so great for stress relief. It was the complete opposite experience on the same ship last December in Mexico and on the Eclipse just a few weeks ago. I guess just the luck of the draw. Wishing all those reading this a more enjoyable experience on your upcoming cruises.

12 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Surprisingly few guys in the Eurodam sauna last week to Alaska! I normally really enjoy my sauna time and stopped by for a couple of hours each afternoon, varied the time and even checked it out in the morning. An all time low of only 3 guys, each dropping in just once during the cruise. Two wore suits and stared straight ahead, the third sat on his towel, but didn't speak English, so no communication. Sigh... got used to sitting on my towel quietly. Not so great for stress relief. It was the complete opposite experience on the same ship last December in Mexico and on the Eclipse just a few weeks ago. I guess just the luck of the draw. Wishing all those reading this a more enjoyable experience on your upcoming cruises.

Sorry to hear about your language barrier.  You mentioned the Eclipse a few weeks ago, was that the Celebrity Eclipse?  I'm cruising 15 days on her to Hawaii in October. If so, is the sauna free or pay?  Thanks in advance.

48 minutes ago, RydingWaves said:

Sorry to hear about your language barrier.  You mentioned the Eclipse a few weeks ago, was that the Celebrity Eclipse?  I'm cruising 15 days on her to Hawaii in October. If so, is the sauna free or pay?  Thanks in advance.

Yes, Celebrity Eclipse. Free single sex medium-sized sauna connected to the lockers and three roomy showers. Did the Hawaii to Vancouver a few weeks ago. Love those sea days! Plenty of activity. VERY relaxing...I don't care for the paid Spa areas, since they are all co-ed with suits required. 

• Like 1

Earlier in this thread, I commented on the PACIFIC PRINCESS spa and fitness center as having a complimentary steam room (gender-specific).  With the re-fit, it is now under the greedy management of the Spa and no longer available without a weekly or full-cruise PA$$.   "Another one bit the dust!