Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

19 minutes ago, Cruise Stud said:

Thanks for the information.  I sometimes go to SpaWorld as well.  At Salamander, do you know if they offer a day pass, or if you have to be a guest (or book an appt to use the spa)?

I believe they do sell a day pass as well. Access to the spa also gets you access to the Spa Pool where they offer lunch and drink service. Its the closest thing to being on a cruise for the afternoon!

I've always just booked an appointment and then used the facilities before and after. Nothing wrong with throwing a good massage in the mix, although they aren't inexpensive there, but the surroundings are worth it!

2 hours ago, GaryR6273 said:

I meant to mention this to the group when I returned from my last cruise on the Nieuw Statendam, but there is a Free sauna in the spa area. It is mixed sexes, but has a phenomenal view with a full floor to ceiling glass window.

Gary - surprised to see that the free sauna is mixed sexes. On the Koningsdam, they have separate free saunas - one for men and one for women with the full windows as you describe. All other HAL ships have single-sex free saunas. This change would be a big disappointment for me. Are you sure you didn't open a back door to the Thermal Suite by mistake? Everything in the paid suite experience is mixed sex and requires suits at all times.

42 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Gary - surprised to see that the free sauna is mixed sexes. On the Koningsdam, they have separate free saunas - one for men and one for women with the full windows as you describe. All other HAL ships have single-sex free saunas. This change would be a big disappointment for me. Are you sure you didn't open a back door to the Thermal Suite by mistake? Everything in the paid suite experience is mixed sex and requires suits at all times.

Definitely wasn’t the thermal suite, as we had passed for the cruise. It was directly adjacent and I only saw one of these saunas. There was no signage for it and wasn’t listed on the deck plans. It was right before the spa relaxation/waiting area and the entrance to the thermal

suite. Not saying there wasn’t another one, but it wasn’t adjacent and it wasn’t marked as men’s or women’s. I’ve taken many HAL cruises and I am used to seeing the single sex saunas by the midship pool area, but there wasn’t one on the Nieuw Statendam that I could find other than this one. 

I believe you found the men's sauna. I agree...I don't remember signs and they certainly didn't mention the free saunas during the Suite presentation (they have the doors to the free saunas closed during the walk-through.) I only knew about it from reading cruisecritic and had to ask for directions. The women's only sauna, I think, is just forward of the men's on the port side. When we were on Koningsdam a year ago, the clothing optional sauna would not have been the norm if it had been mixed sexes. Or has HAL suddenly become a lot more progressive? Somehow, I don't think so!  

On 8/5/2017 at 8:10 AM, polimb said:

Can we talk a little about sauna/steam room etiquette. I was on the Silhouette doing a transatlantic earlier this year and usually enjoy the sauna/steam rooms lots of good conversations with other guys. However sometimes you just want to enjoy the heat and relax. There was a guy that would not stop talking, tried just one word answers closed my eyes put my head back but he wouldn't stop. I mean if other people are in there talking I'm ok with it there's nothing I can do. But sometimes others were in there and you could tell they were annoyed and he was always in there. Sometimes he would have a conversation with himself when nobody was interested. So I guess what I'm saying is read the room. Thoughts..........

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I completely agree. Other than laying down (if there’s room) and covering your face with a towel or pretending you’re dozing, you may need to just walk out and return later. 

20 hours ago, Mermen said:

I completely agree. Other than laying down (if there’s room) and covering your face with a towel or pretending you’re dozing, you may need to just walk out and return later. 

If they can't take the hint (from the one-word answers, etc.), it's necessary to be more direct. There are a few guys at the gym I go to who will come into the sauna and just start randomly gabbing, and if they don't stop after my lack of response, I say something like, "Sorry, but I'm not interested in chatting," or more directly, "Please stop talking. I'm trying to relax quietly." 

I think some of these guys are lonely and just don't have a social outlet, so they impose on others and don't realize how rude they are being.

• Thanks 1

Ive been following this thread for years, first time I've posted , Has anyone been on the RCI Enchantment of the Seas lately, Its been 7 years for me, Is there still a mens sauna or steam room ?

7 hours ago, txbear said:

Ive been following this thread for years, first time I've posted , Has anyone been on the RCI Enchantment of the Seas lately, Its been 7 years for me, Is there still a mens sauna or steam room ?

I emailed RCI directly and here is their response:

"Thank you for your email. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry.

At this point in time, single-sex complimentary sauna and steam room usage is available on both the Explorer of the Seas and Serenade of the Seas. The Symphony of the Seas instead offers Thermal Suites that can be used for a fee that offer sauna, wet and dry steam rooms, showers and heated beds. With that said, the complimentary men's sauna and steam room is also offered on the following ships:

Adventure of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Vision of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas"

54 minutes ago, Cruise Stud said:

I emailed RCI directly and here is their response:

"Thank you for your email. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry.

At this point in time, single-sex complimentary sauna and steam room usage is available on both the Explorer of the Seas and Serenade of the Seas. The Symphony of the Seas instead offers Thermal Suites that can be used for a fee that offer sauna, wet and dry steam rooms, showers and heated beds. With that said, the complimentary men's sauna and steam room is also offered on the following ships:

Adventure of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Vision of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas"

Was this response recent? I ask because I can confirm that Navigator of the Seas no longer has a free men’s sauna and steam room. After it’s remodel the only men’s steam room available is a small one in the spa men’s locker room, which is only accessible if you have a booked spa treatment. . The gym was moved during the remodel and the free steam and sauna were not put back in. 

54 minutes ago, twallo said:

Was this response recent? I ask because I can confirm that Navigator of the Seas no longer has a free men’s sauna and steam room. After it’s remodel the only men’s steam room available is a small one in the spa men’s locker room, which is only accessible if you have a booked spa treatment. . The gym was moved during the remodel and the free steam and sauna were not put back in. 

Yes, it was actually a couple of weeks ago that they sent this email :-/

6 hours ago, Cruise Stud said:

Yes, it was actually a couple of weeks ago that they sent this email 😕

That is actually worse than I thought. I was on the ship back in march! Clearly the customer service reps are not provided with updated information 😞

10 minutes ago, twallo said:

That is actually worse than I thought. I was on the ship back in march! Clearly the customer service reps are not provided with updated information 😞

thanks for the update--maybe I need to email them and let them know they information is outdated--and ask them to do research before re-answering.

OK, a little more clarity from a more competent (fingers crossed) adviser.  Hope this helps some people plan accordingly:

"Thank you for your email, and thank you for being a valued member of the RCI family. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

We apologize for the prior confusion. The conclusive list of ships that currently have complementary Sauna and Steam Rooms are as follows:
Brilliance of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the seas

The ships that currently have Sauna and Steam Rooms for an additional charge are:
Adventure of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you aboard again in the future."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Stud said:

OK, a little more clarity from a more competent (fingers crossed) adviser.  Hope this helps some people plan accordingly:

"Thank you for your email, and thank you for being a valued member of the RCI family. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

We apologize for the prior confusion. The conclusive list of ships that currently have complementary Sauna and Steam Rooms are as follows:
Brilliance of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the seas

The ships that currently have Sauna and Steam Rooms for an additional charge are:
Adventure of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you aboard again in the future."

I'm not sure the updated list is correct 

I've been on Adventure of the sea since its refurbishment 

Sauna /steamroom free

Rhapsody was too the last time I was on her just over a year ago

And shes had no refurbishment in that time that I know of ?

Re:  Grand Princess

While technically, the Grand Princess ship has separate, free mens / womens steam and suanas.  The location of these (entry is from the outside, no adjacent changing areas) makes them wholly impractical. Princess's Star, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Crown, and Caribbean are all much better choices.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:09 PM, tonygcharles said:

I'm not sure the updated list is correct 

I've been on Adventure of the sea since its refurbishment 

Sauna /steamroom free

Rhapsody was too the last time I was on her just over a year ago

And shes had no refurbishment in that time that I know of ?

Just reading about the dry dock upgrade for Voyager OTS. It's seems Voyager of the seas is being "amplified" in September when the ship's wellness complex (Vitality Spa and Fitness Center) on Deck 12 will be enhanced and enlarged. The complex will be relocated from forward to aft". 

When that happened on the Navigator OTS the single sex free steam and sauna were replaced. My guess is it's now paid and coed but I'd like confirmation on that.  

Royal states they plan to "Amplify" the entire Voyager and Freedom class of ships. 

The independence and the Mariner were the first 2 ships to be "Amped" but neither of them had changed made to the spa and fitness center.  The trouble began with Navigator and it looks like the trend is going to continue.

I'd say by the end of 2021 the only ships in the Voyager and Freedom class' with a free steam and sauna will be Independence, and Mariner. Possibly Adventure will be spared too as it was redone just before the "Royal Amplified" program rolled out. 

I think Royal will lose my business.

On 8/5/2019 at 2:27 PM, tonygcharles said:

I'm interested in this to

I'm going on her for Christmas 

And is it free?

Can confirm Jewel of Seas is still separate facilities and there is no charge. I am aboard now. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have scanned the topic...and did not see Celebrity Silhouette addressed.  The deck plan makes it look like the mens changing room by the gym is pretty small.  Anyone know what the facilities are? I will be departing in a week!  

On 8/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, twodjs said:

All the Celebrity Solstice class ships are similar in design. The Silhouette changing area has a small locker room connected with toilets and urnials, 3 showers and sauna - all free to use.

Great, thank you!  This is nice to know. - Bill