Alaska, Aft Wrap or Penthouse?

Romeril

We are currently booked in an aft wrap for Sept 14 on Oosterdam. We plan on using the balcony a lot for viewing. However, we are considering upgrading to a penthouse.

My question is what would be best for viewing? Presumably the penthouse would give better protection from wind, but would we sacrifce views? We will have family members joining us and the extra space would be nice.

When we were at Hubbard and Margerie glaciers the ship spent most of the time with the glacier at the ship's 10 o'clock position before doing a slow rotation. In that case, a port penthouse would be great, a port aft-wrap a second choice IMO, and a starboard side PH or aft a third choice.

In other places I think you have a better chance of seeing more things in an aft-wrap than a PH facing one side.

Edited by jtl513

We are currently booked in an aft wrap for Sept 14 on Oosterdam. We plan on using the balcony a lot for viewing. However, we are considering upgrading to a penthouse.

My question is what would be best for viewing? Presumably the penthouse would give better protection from wind, but would we sacrifce views? We will have family members joining us and the extra space would be nice.

When the ship is moving, you cannot hide from the wind in the Penthouse verandah. On the aft wrap, you can.

Aft wrap has 270 degree view while the PH has only 180 degrees.

We loved the aft corner balcony in Alaska. The Penthouse will have a lot more room inside for entertaining your family, but if the balcony viewing is the main issue, the aft wrap gives you views from the back and one side. The Penthouse will give you a view from only the one side.

I've only been in an aft wrap, but I would imagine that would be the better option of the two, for viewing. However, keep in mind that you need to be all over the ship for best viewing in Alaska. Don't just stay on your own balcony.

Agreed. The best viewing is on the public decks.

igraf

I've only been in an aft wrap, but I would imagine that would be the better option of the two, for viewing. However, keep in mind that you need to be all over the ship for best viewing in Alaska. Don't just stay on your own balcony.

We have been in the Penthouse for our last two cruises on the Zuiderdam (latest being in May) to Alaska, and you cannot get away from the wind. The room and service is fabulous.

We also have been on two cruises on the aft wraparound cabin on the Oosterdam to Alaska, and the view was fabulous with hardly any wind. That is the beauty of those cabins. Of course you won't have the real estate with the aft wrap, buy at least you can sit on your deck without freezing!:eek:

If you choose the Penthouse, you will love it. There simply is no comparison.

As others have said, the best viewing is on the public decks. We missed quite a bit of action when we were on the aft one year.

Edited by kjw869

We are not fans of the aft cabins.

We book the Penthouse whenever we can -- more room. We had no problems with wind on the PS verandah when viewing the glaciers.

We didn't either, when the ship was standing still viewing the glaciers.

So what do you want to do.... stay on the aft corner... windows only look straight astern... not to the side... unless you walk around the corner.

Yep... if it rains you get some shelter.

On the PH... plenty of shelter of course... might rain any time, but if it is and you get bored sitting at glaciers... nothing better than watching it from your own jaccuzzi!

PH is better for visitors... and they can use the jaccuzzi also. Nice pantry and tea and coffee can be made. Also have the dining room... inside and outside.

To your concierge lounge... close. Aft corner is a walk at least 450 feet to the concierge lounge and another 450 feet to bring it back with a 'nibble'. Midships stair tower is close... and forward stair tower is even closer.

So what do you want to do.... stay on the aft corner... windows only look straight astern... not to the side... unless you walk around the corner.

Yep... if it rains you get some shelter.

On the PH... plenty of shelter of course... might rain any time, but if it is and you get bored sitting at glaciers... nothing better than watching it from your own jaccuzzi!

PH is better for visitors... and they can use the jaccuzzi also. Nice pantry and tea and coffee can be made. Also have the dining room... inside and outside.

To your concierge lounge... close. Aft corner is a walk at least 450 feet to the concierge lounge and another 450 feet to bring it back with a 'nibble'. Midships stair tower is close... and forward stair tower is even closer.

I'm on Stephen's side - with family involved, I would be taking the more spacious area. The PS wins it for me. I'd be out and about viewing many times anyways :)

Some people (well, OK one person) have been known to turn down a FREE upgrade to the Penthouse and keep their beloved aft cabin. :rolleyes:

I don't think it was ever proven it was FREE ;) The offer was never posted to my best recollection. Suspect it was an upsell offer. In any case, each to their own, I'd be taking my family /friends into consideration and that would win the PS over for me;)

I see that the Oosterdam has three categories of suites. Which one is considered Penthouse suites?

The category that is PS is Penthouse. You can't miss them on the deck plan they are substantially bigger than the other suites.

Some people (well, OK one person) have been known to turn down a FREE upgrade to the Penthouse and keep their beloved aft cabin. :rolleyes:

Free??? Good heavens. I was always under the impression that upgrades to PS just do NOT happen. Only upsells. Maybe there's hope for me yet.:D

We took an upsell on a PS on Westerdam for a Caribbean cruise and it was superb. We took the upsell because we were cruising with a small group of my wife's employees and thought it would be good for entertaining, and it was. The accommodations and the size of the suite are really nice, but ultimately, we kind of felt it exceeded our normal needs when its just the two of us.

I have been to Alaska twice, once in a mid-ship suite and once in an aft corner suite. Given that choice, I'd take the aft every time. No wind when moving, huge covered veranda with great site lines. If the size and amenities of the Penthouse appeal more to you, go for it. YOLO, right?

Too much noise and vibration in the aft cabins.

Ours on Zuiderdam deck 5 (5190) was not bad at all. We felt a mild vibration when we were docking- other than that it was great. If anything the only minus was coming up from San Diego in semi-rough seas there was a little more movement for a night or two

Too much noise and vibration in the aft cabins.

In the six times we've been in the aft wrap cabins, we've never had any vibration. Except for the sound of the wake, the cabins are very quiet.

The only time we've felt any vibration, was in a cabin directly across from the Neptune Lounge on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and also in the Tamarind.

What ship were you on and when?