Do you put your cruise tags on before your flight?

feedmytummy

I've never had to fly to a port before a cruise but will be doing so for my next one. So... I was just wondering - do you put your cruise tags on your bag before your flight? Do airlines frown upon this? Or is it actually better because, in case it gets lost, they can contact Carnival if you're already on the ship? Sorry if this is a stupid question....

It's not a stupid question at all. Most people put them on after the flights. With the way luggage is handled, they could get ripped off before you ever board the ship.

Some people carry a small roll of packing tape, others bring a small stapler, and others punch a hole in them and use zip ties. To be on the safe side, wait until your flight lands before you put them on.

Lots of people also print extra copies of the tags and put one in each piece of luggage just in case the outer one comes off.

Not a stupid question...I didn't know the first time either! I put them on after the flight. We fly down the day before, so I have them ready to go in plastic sleeves (got them on Amazon) and attach them before we leave for the port the next morning. I figure they wouldn't survive the flight down anyway!

Sent from my Ipad

I put them on before my flight wrapped in clear packing tape.

It was actually difficult to get them off. They were held on good.

With just a staple they would or could have been gone....

Edited by lostdart1

When flying in, we do it after the flight. Gives me something to do the night before the cruise in the hotel room. Always afraid that they might come off in flight. Small think of clear tape easy-peasy.

We self-laminate them with packaging tape, and we wait until we are at the hotel before putting them on the suitcases. We always take at least an extra one or two just in case. We attach them with zip ties (punch holes before we leave home). But make sure you have a pair of nail clippers with you to cut the ties on the ship. And of course, do not put those clippers IN the suitcase.

I've never had to fly to a port before a cruise but will be doing so for my next one. So... I was just wondering - do you put your cruise tags on your bag before your flight? Do airlines frown upon this? Or is it actually better because, in case it gets lost, they can contact Carnival if you're already on the ship? Sorry if this is a stupid question....

I always laminate my luggage tags and attach them to my suitcase with a cable tie before leaving home to go to the airport. I've never had one come off using this method. I do not want to fool with it after leaving home. The airlines do not care. And as someone else mentioned, if the airline should misroute my luggage, they know where it needs to go.

A couple other tips I have to share: I buy a small roll of neon duct tape (Walmart carries it), and slap about a 3 inch piece of that on the top and side of my bag to help me quickly identify my bag and reduce the chance of someone else grabbing it by mistake. I also take a photo of my luggage with my cell phone before leaving home. In case the bag does get lost, I have a photo to help describe and identify it.

Have a great cruise.

I purchased luggage tag holders through Cruise Critic and use them for my tags. No tape or staples necessary. Since I almost always fly in I attach them prior to flying. I also have personalized tags with my name and address and use them as well. In addition to that I include a luggage tag in my luggage so that in the event my luggage doesn't make it to the ship with me the airline will know who and where I am. This may be overkill but you can never be too careful.:)

two years ago our luggage got lost from Edmonton to Miami. When we got on the Carnival Breeze I went straight to guest services and let them know. Carnival was great about staying in contact with the airline and getting my luggage to me. We were doing a B2B (6 day and a 8 day). On the 4th day of the first leg we were stopped in Jamaica, when we got back to our room our luggage was there waiting for us. :D

Fly all the time and with 4 staples holding them have never had one ripped off. But we do carry a few spare tags just in case. (you can always borrow a stapler at the airport if needed)

I don't think I would want to spend time lugging luggage around trying to borrow a stapler at the airport.

Is there a designated stapler loaner at each airport?

I'm sorry, I just got a good chuckle out of that statement.

Edited by lostdart1

We never put our luggage tags on until we get our luggage at the airport. While waiting for our transportation to the ship, we put them on then. This alleviates the chance that they might get ripped off. I reinforce our tags with clear shipping tape and use zip locks to attach to the luggage handle. Tags stay intact.

Anybody see any reason why I can't just laminate my luggage tag onto my suitcase before my flight with clear Packing tape? I mean stuck down so no chance of being yanked off? I have an extra, so thought this would be a good idea. Will this work? Does it have to be lose and hanging? I've never flown before a cruise AND we are flying in the same day. Crazy huh? Not my idea but necessary, there are 26 of us going together.

Given that packing tape is very cheap and we have never flown into a U.S. port, I put the baggage labels on at home.

I reinforce them with a strip of tape on each side lapped over the folds. I use a small strip of tape on the end and then a wrap of tape to close the label. I have had them survive flying to Rome and to Barcelona with absolutely no issues. They did look a bit battered, but who care?

Doc

We've flown to a port for 10 cruises and have always had our cruise tags on the bag when we've dropped them off at the airport. That way, if our luggage is delayed, they'll know where to take them.

We've never had to replace any of them. We know we can get new tags at the port if we need them.

Anybody see any reason why I can't just laminate my luggage tag onto my suitcase before my flight with clear Packing tape? I mean stuck down so no chance of being yanked off? I have an extra, so thought this would be a good idea. Will this work? Does it have to be lose and hanging? I've never flown before a cruise AND we are flying in the same day. Crazy huh? Not my idea but necessary, there are 26 of us going together.

Dulcimergirl- I think it's easier to have the tag sticking out from the handle... it's on the side of the suitcase the Carnival staff may not be able to tell easily which cabin it's for... I'm sure it would get to you eventually, just might take a tich longer!