Is This True?

atdahop

We haven't been on RCCL since they've started the My Time Dining but how do they limit the number of people assigned? :confused: Where do they go?

You're not saying that they can't go to the DR to eat & have to go to the buffet are you?

No. If the My Time Dining quota is full, you are assigned to a Traditional fixed dining time.

The opposite of Princess where if Traditional is full you are assigned to Anytime.

On Princess the number of passengers assigned to Anytime is unlimited. So if 75% of the passengers choose to be assigned to Anytime, there will be lines.

Exactly. And that's why someone observing an over-crowded dining

room has no idea if the seats are taken by traditional diners

who came to anytime, or if it is simply because no one actually chose traditional.

I believe the problem is that there is a high demand for early Traditional Dining on Princess and there are three MDRs on most Princess ships (7 Grand class and 2 Royal Class). To accommodate the demand, two of the three MDRs are used for early TD which leaves only 1/3rd of the MDR capacity for ATD. This can cause waits starting around 30-45 minutes after that MDR opens.

Two Grand class ships, the Diamond and Sapphire, have four smaller MDRs available for ATD in addition to the one larger MDR used for TD. Only one of those is used for early ATD so half of the MDR capacity is available for ATD. We didn't seem to see the same lines on our three cruises on the Sapphire.

It does tend to vary by itinerary and the mad rush when the MDRs open can be heavy or light. On a couple of Royal threads people noted how uncrowded the MDRs were. On other threads they complained about long waits. You never know what you will find.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

No. If the My Time Dining quota is full, you are assigned to a Traditional fixed dining time.

The opposite of Princess where if Traditional is full you are assigned to Anytime.

That's weird. On Princess you almost have to book 1/2 year out to make sure you have TD dining. I suppose it has a lot to do with their age difference of their younger passengers.

I believe the problem is that there is a high demand for early Traditional Dining on Princess and there are three MDRs on most Princess ships (7 Grand class and 2 Royal Class). To accommodate the demand, two of the three MDRs are used for early TD which leaves only 1/3rd of the MDR capacity for ATD. This can cause waits starting around 30-45 minutes after that MDR opens.

If the traditional early dining was limited to one dining room, then all the passengers that wanted early traditional and could not get it (and are now in that 2nd early dining room) would be in anytime....and would go early as that is their preference.

So, if you did have two dining rooms just anytime, they would be just as crowded as now in the early evening.

If the traditional early dining was limited to one dining room, then all the passengers that wanted early traditional and could not get it (and are now in that 2nd early dining room) would be in anytime....and would go early as that is their preference.

So, if you did have two dining rooms just anytime, they would be just as crowded as now in the early evening.

Possibly, but we have seen many empty seats on cruises where we have been in TD. Once we were at a table of 8 and four people never showed up. Every time a TD diner chooses to eat at a specialty restaurant or comes late after a busy port day and eats at the HC, there is dining capacity wasted. ATD seems to go faster and I have seen two turns of tables for 2 between 5:30 and 7:30. With only two turns per night, TD can be a very inefficient use of dining space. With potentially three turns per night and no open seats, ATD can handle more people per night in a given space. Princess should only have one MDR used for TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Possibly, but we have seen many empty seats on cruises where we have been in TD. Once we were at a table of 8 and four people never showed up. Every time a TD diner chooses to eat at a specialty restaurant or comes late after a busy port day and eats at the HC, there is dining capacity wasted. ATD seems to go faster and I have seen two turns of tables for 2 between 5:30 and 7:30. With only two turns per night, TD can be a very inefficient use of dining space. With potentially three turns per night and no open seats, ATD can handle more people per night in a given space. Princess should only have one MDR used for TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm wondering if maybe those four people were new to Princess or even to cruising and were not aware they were assigned to a table (even though one would think they would see their assignment on their cards). I've seen at least a couple of posters who had written they didn't know the MDRs were included in their fare.

How do you actually know the back up in the AT dining room was caused by traditional people switching over? Did you question the people standing in line?

We've been on some cruises where the AT dining room always seemed to be overcrowded while other trips it went much more smoothly. A lot depends on the age group & when they want to eat.

I wonder that myself. We have never tried to crash the AT dining room when we had traditional. If we miss our seating (the one time I can think of in four cruise, was when our daughter was feeling iffy), we go to the Horizon.

Possibly, but we have seen many empty seats on cruises where we have been in TD.

o Some people in traditional eat there every night except formal nights

o Some people in traditional eat there only on formal nights

o The above people most likely go to the buffet and not crash anytime on the evenings they are not in traditional

o People who are new to cruising may not understand the dining choices when they book the cruise and a TA just puts them in traditional rather than explain the options, possibly asking if they want to eat early or late, but not explaining what that means. Some of these people may end up never going to a main dining room.

So there are a number of reasons why there are empty seats in traditional each evening.

Once we were at a table of 8 and four people never showed up. Every time a TD diner chooses to eat at a specialty restaurant or comes late after a busy port day and eats at the HC, there is dining capacity wasted.

True, but are you suggesting that traditional diners have random anytime diners placed at their table each evening there are empty seats? If those in traditional, once it is certain others at their table are not showing up, must then wait for anytime to send people up to occupy those seats, the new people getting menus, ordering drinks and deciding what they want to order, then those traditional diners will have their dinner delayed by another 15-20 minutes.

ATD seems to go faster and I have seen two turns of tables for 2 between 5:30 and 7:30. With only two turns per night, TD can be a very inefficient use of dining space. With potentially three turns per night and no open seats, ATD can handle more people per night in a given space. Which is a reason anytime diners often have posted they felt they were rushed to finish dinner so the table could be used again.

Princess should only have one MDR used for TD. Which still would not solve the wait time for anytime. On a Emerald size ship, at most about 850 passengers would be in traditional leaving potentially over 2200 other passengers (assuming no 3rd and 4th berths were sold) to be in anytime. If 1000 of those people show up at 6 PM to eat in anytime, there will be lines and a long wait for a number of those passengers.

Anytime works best when the anytime passengers somehow distribute their desire to eat evenly throughout the evening. This rarely happens.

Actually, those four were briefly at our table the first evening, but said they were going to eat with other people for the cruise. I don't know if it was in TD or ATD, but their place was not filled by anyone else for the rest of the cruise. Our waitstaff knew that they were no longer dining at our table but they were never replaced. It was a waste of space. My point is that ATD is a typically a much more efficient use of space and Princess should only allocate one MDR to TD dining. On the Island we had reserved a table in ATD one evening but thought the reservation was 15 minutes later than it actually was. We arrived a few minutes before the time we thought our reservation was. We were told that they were just about to cancel our reservation as they only hold them for 15 minutes. Once again, a more efficient process.

We have never felt rushed in ATD. We typically sit at a table for two. We often have only one course before the entree and sometimes skip dessert and coffee. An hour is often sufficient time for us to have a leisurely dinner in ATD. Tables for two are often more efficient because you don't need to wait while others may have an appetizer, soup and salad course before the entree.

Edited by IECalCruiser

No, it is a reasonable expectation that can easily be achieved by not allowing TA diners to go to AT at will and not allowing AT diners to make reservations that bog down the system.

We have been on cruises where AT diners were taken to the TD room (no choice) and when we were taken were were set at a table for 8 and there was only a couple there. They said they saw the other 3 couples once and then they had the table all to themselves for most of the cruise. Most of the waiters were standing around half empty tables. Also, ATD waiters have indicated to us they like AT dining more because it is more challenging and not as routine.

We love AT dining because you get to meet so many new and interesting passengers. We almost never wait and they do check our cards or ask for our room number the first couple of nights. Also, AT dining does have a limited number of seats and it is not always easy to get when you book a cruise.

Again, everything on Princess seems to go back to the fact that they have a lot of rules but they rarely enforce them consistently.....:)

Actually, those four were briefly at our table the first evening, but said they were going to eat with other people for the cruise. I don't know if it was in TD or ATD, but their place was not filled by anyone else for the rest of the cruise. Our waitstaff knew that they were no longer dining at our table but they were never replaced. It was a waste of space. My point is that ATD is a typically a much more efficient use of space and Princess should only allocate one MDR to TD dining. On the Island we had reserved a table in ATD one evening but thought the reservation was 15 minutes later than it actually was. We arrived a few minutes before the time we thought our reservation was. We were told that they were just about to cancel our reservation as they only hold them for 15 minutes. Once again, a more efficient process.

We have never felt rushed in ATD. We typically sit at a table for two. We often have only one course before the entree and sometimes skip dessert and coffee. An hour is often sufficient time for us to have a leisurely dinner in ATD. Tables for two are often more efficient because you don't need to wait while others may have an appetizer, soup and salad course before the entree.

That happens quite often in traditional from what we've seen. They say that traditional people can change to AT dining if they wish and although I've never seen it personally, I suspect their seats go unused for the rest of the cruise especially if there are only 2 or 3 days remaining. It must be a nightmare for the head waiters to utilize all of the TD seats every night especially if the passengers don't notify anyone they'll be missing. AT dining eliminates all of those seating problems.

IMO, if TAs (or Princess booking agents) educated those new to Princess as to how the dining works and then ask them which type they want, that would help. If someone doesn't want to be tied to a specific dining time advise them to consider anytime. If they like dining at a specific time that fits in with the ship's seatings, say 6:15...then offer that to them. Of course, there are many people who will book with online companies who don't bother to educate their customers.

Another thing that would help is to enforce entrance by requiring passengers to show their cards at the entrance. It would help if there was a notice in the first day's Patters reminding passengers with t.d. to go to their seating (unless taking advantage of the alternative venues) and reminding a.d. to go to the a.d.'s. Maybe even the check in clerk can point out which type of dining you have while handing over the cards.

IMO' date=' if TAs (or Princess booking agents) educated those new to Princess as to how the dining works and then ask them which type they want, that would help. If someone doesn't want to be tied to a specific dining time advise them to consider anytime. If they like dining at a specific time that fits in with the ship's seatings, say 6:15...then offer that to them. Of course, there are many people who will book with online companies who don't bother to educate their customers.

Another thing that would help is to enforce entrance by requiring passengers to show their cards at the entrance. It would help if there was a notice in the first day's Patters reminding passengers with t.d. to go to their seating (unless taking advantage of the alternative venues) and reminding a.d. to go to the a.d.'s. Maybe even the check in clerk can point out which type of dining you have while handing over the cards.[/quote']But with a cruise like the Grand Med this year, the Patters for the July 1 cruise listed TD dining times as 5:45pm which is pretty early for this port intensive cruise with five departures between 6:00pm and 7:00pm, and 8:15pm which is pretty late. In addition, there was only one MDR, Allegro, open for early TD and the second ATD MDR, Allegro, did not open until 7:30pm on most nights. More people must eat at the Horizon Court on this cruise. We will see for ourselves how it goes in a little over two weeks :)

Edited by IECalCruiser

Another thing that would help is to enforce entrance by requiring passengers to show their cards at the entrance.

They do check the first evening at both traditional and anytime.

Often they check a second or third evening at anytime.

The first thing I would go to my M D, Just to ask if they can help in the situation. Let Him, or Her know what night you are thinking about. Most of the time they will try to work out your situation. Hope this might be of some help.

I think Holland America handles this properly. If you have traditional dining and elect to go to Anytime Dining (what they call Open Dining) one night, you lose your traditional dining assignment and cannot go back. From that point on, you are considered to be in Anytime Dining.

Sorry if this has been said before, but I didn't read all 117 posts.:)

Carnival handles Traditional and ATD very well. The only way you can switch is if you speak to the Maitre d' either on the embarkation day or the during cruise. There is no guarantee that your dining time will be changed.

The hostesses ask for your cabin every night and enters it into the computer. They will not normally let traditional dining people sit at ATD, but there are exceptions and it is at the whim of the Maitre d' and at what time you arrive. Later you get there, the better chance of the Maitre d' letting you into ATD for the one night. But usually if traditional diners miss their assigned dining time, then they will not be allowed to eat that night in the dining room and are the other options for dining.

Also, traditional dining and ATD dining is not in the same part of the dining room. If the ships have a 2 story dining room, then ATD is upstairs. If there are 2 dining rooms, then ATD is in the outer area (near the windows) of the forward dining room or in some cases, 3/4 of the forward dining room.

I may be flamed, but if one has Traditional, they should not be allowed to use Anytime; Unless it is late and little chance that a table would be used. Allowing traditional to use anytime makes little sense. If that was the case, why would anyone ever choose anytime? Just reserve traditional and if you don't want to go to your designated seating, then just drop in to anytime.

This would not be a bad policy at all. If one cannot make their traditional seating, then the buffet and other options are available. I don't see why any other policy is needed.

Just flip it if this sounds so bad. Say one is an anytime diner, and they want to use the designated seating, walk up and say I'd like to eat at this seating. There are bound to be open seats- maybe not, but what's good one way should be good the other.

IMHO, if you have booked traditional dining and can't make your dining time, you should not be allowed in anytime dining. Depending upon the ship you can go to the buffet, specialty restaurants, Alfredo's, the Trident Grill, Prego Pizza or the International Cafe...

I agree. I chose ATD for my upcoming coastal since it is only a 4-nighter and I will be sailing solo this trip. I haven't done ATD before, and thought I'd give it a try. Now that I hear traditional diners are adding to lines in ATD, I may have to rethink this.

I agree Traditional Diners should not be allowed in the Anytime Dining Rooms. I also believe there should be no reservations allowed for the Anytime Dining which results in two lines and take up time at the entrance as the wait staff has to deal with two groups of people. It is another reason lines back up.

I agree 110 percent.

One other question, in anytime dining, will we be seated with other people like in traditional dining? If so, I suppose we can request to wait for a table for two?

You can ask. If tables are available, you'll get one. You might have to wait for one, though, since tables for two are popular and there aren't a lot of them.