New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

We are booked for the 17 day Hawaii cruise in January. We love the formal nights but in looking through the documentation I can't figure out how many to prepare for. Can someone give me an idea of how many formal nights there will be on a 17 day cruise?

When your Express docs are ready for printing, they will tell you how many formal nights. Traditionally, it was 2 formal nights for every 7 days (so probably 4 or 5) but HAL has made some recent changes to that from what I have read. You may well find it is only 3.

Formal nights can also be amended once you get on board. You may find they are decreased (never seen them increased).

Ducksoop, we are doing a 45 day cruise and were also wondering how many formal nights to prepare for. I always wear dresses anyway, and can pack several nice sweaters to top them off. I think I'll pack only 4 dressy dresses and probably buy one during one of the ports. DH will pack 6 or 7 different ties to go with my dresses. If I wear something twice...........who cares?:)

Crew News, thanks for the links, you have been most helpful!!

I have a question. I have heard of the Sink the Ship Competition. Do they do them on all HAL or just the long ones? Can't wait to start working on one.

Never heard of that.

HAL used to have a ship building contest, if that's what you're referring to, but those ended quite a while back. The idea was to build a "ship" from materials found aboard, and see if it was sea-worthy by adding cans of soda and turning the whirlpool on full blast.

• Like 1

Never heard of that.

HAL used to have a ship building contest, if that's what you're referring to, but those ended quite a while back. The idea was to build a "ship" from materials found aboard, and see if it was sea-worthy by adding cans of soda and turning the whirlpool on full blast.

I did a search on the entire HAL Forum and see they just had the ship building contest on a cruise over this Halloween so they do still do it. Just wondering which ships.

I did a search on the entire HAL Forum and see they just had the ship building contest on a cruise over this Halloween so they do still do it. Just wondering which ships.

"A cruise" is the operative phrase.

I expect the cruise you're referring to is the one Cruisinetta was on. For years she has made it a practice to build ships while cruising. This time, the CD offered that as an event---probably in deference to her.

If you find a ship building contest on your cruise, consider it a rare find.

There was a ship building contest on our South American cruise last year on a sister line. It was a fun afternoon and people were packed on the Lido deck. With all the cut backs, it does not make much sense to do away with free entertainment. I mean how much does a cheap bottle of bubbly cost for the prize?:confused:

There was a ship building contest on the NA yesterday, the last full day of the transatlantic voyage.

Michelle.

Hi MIchelle, how are you doing?

I have normally found there are ship building contests on any Transatlantic crossing or any other cruise with a lot of sea days.

The shorter cruises - not so much.

The ship building contests aren't gone I don't think just selectively done for the right itineraries and the length of time.

Hi MIchelle, how are you doing?

I have normally found there are ship building contests on any Transatlantic crossing or any other cruise with a lot of sea days.

The shorter cruises - not so much.

The ship building contests aren't gone I don't think just selectively done for the right itineraries and the length of time.

Hi Jacqui. Having lots of sea days makes sense, given the effort that goes into making the ships.

Michelle.

When are the formal nights, typically?

That will vary based on itinerary and length of cruise. In addition to that, HAL is transitioning from two formal nights per week to one, so it isn't clear yet which night is the most likely on itineraries that repeat often.

Never heard of that.

The Grand cruises still have the ship building contests with some awesome entries. The last few we have seen were on the Prinsedam and the Amsterdam.

Edited by take us away

The hours for the BBQ on HMC will be posted in your "On Location". Just make sure to check that everyday and arrange your schedule accordingly. That way you won't miss anything really important.

Of course, if you do rent a cabana, you will have snacks and beverages provided by the ship.

... We have booked cabanas on Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam and enjoyed them a lot. Hope this information helps you to decide.

When did HAL initiate Cabana Service on the Noordam? We have been on 1 previous Noordam cruise (January 2013) and did not see the cabanas. We are going on the Noordam again this coming January, and I would like to know how to make reservations for a cabana. Whom do I contact?