New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Thanks Lizzie68.

On Internet access, Holland America's General Information booklet says:

The ship offers a variety of pricing options to suit individual needs from pay as you go to discounted time plan packages. A one-time activation fee of US$3.95 will be applied on your first login only.

Can anyone give me any idea of internet access charges on the Zuiderdam? Is there such a thing as wifi on board (I have an iPad)?

Thanks Lizzie68.

On Internet access, Holland America's General Information booklet says:

The ship offers a variety of pricing options to suit individual needs from pay as you go to discounted time plan packages. A one-time activation fee of US$3.95 will be applied on your first login only.

Can anyone give me any idea of internet access charges on the Zuiderdam? Is there such a thing as wifi on board (I have an iPad)?

There is indeed wifi on board. How fast it is depends upon reception.

It is not as fast as the wifi you have at home as it is a satellite wifi but most times, it works ok.

There was an unlimited package offered at one stage offered on the Zuiderdam but I don't know if that was a trial or will be brought to all the ships.

From what I saw on the boards, that unlimited package was $9.99 per hour (continuous use), $34.99 per day (24 hours) and $149.99 for 7 days.

What most of us are used to is the regular package which is $.75 per minute if you want to pay as you go.

And the regular packages of 250 minutes for $100 and 100 minutes for $55.

That does many people but there is also a 500 minute and 1000 minute package. I think the 500 minute package is around $175 and the 1000 minute package is $250 if memory serves me correctly.

You would think I would remember how much the 500 minute package is since that is what I got on my 30 day cruises:o;)

Thanks for the informative & supportive reply, Kazu. I can't find the "sticky above the roll calls" you mentioned. How do I get there?

I know Lizzie answered this for you but I wanted to add that you can just phone if you want to get your meet and greet organized. A lot easier than the instructions in the sticky.

If you scroll down on that thread you will see different people's experiences as well as the phone number for calling if you want to call to get it organized. That is what I have done in the past.

I am heading on my first cruise in under 2 weeks, on the Eurodam and have a question regarding pillows. We are staying in a Deluxe Verandah oceanview stateroom - are there a variety of pillow options available in this room type (and if not, can someone advise what standard pillows are provided - i.e.soft / hard/ feather / synthetic etc). Sorry if this is a crazy question but I am trying to decide if I need to pack my own :)

I am heading on my first cruise in under 2 weeks, on the Eurodam and have a question regarding pillows. We are staying in a Deluxe Verandah oceanview stateroom - are there a variety of pillow options available in this room type (and if not, can someone advise what standard pillows are provided - i.e.soft / hard/ feather / synthetic etc). Sorry if this is a crazy question but I am trying to decide if I need to pack my own :)

Six large pillows are provided but not sure what hardness.

Edited by Crew News

In the Neptune suites there are a range of pillows from soft, medium to firm, that I can recall. I'm not sure of the filling. In regular cabins - I honestly can't remember, but the pillows were very comfortable.:o Not down or feathers, though.

Six large pillows are provided but not sure what hardness.

In the Deluxe/Signature Suites, i.e., the OP's category, there are 2 hard, 2 medium and 2 soft pillows.

I know the OP did not ask for other categories, but for anyone else wondering, in the Neptune Suites, there are 9 pillows, 3 of each; hard, medium and soft.

I am not positive on the filling, but seem to remember reading here on CC quite a while ago (since July 2009 when I first joined CC) that they are "Goose Down."

Joanie

In the Deluxe/Signature Suites, i.e., the OP's category, there are 2 hard, 2 medium and 2 soft pillows.

I know the OP did not ask for other categories, but for anyone else wondering, in the Neptune Suites, there are 9 pillows, 3 of each; hard, medium and soft.

I am not positive on the filling, but seem to remember reading here on CC quite a while ago (since July 2009 when I first joined CC) that they are "Goose Down."

Joanie

heccis - there are indeed soft, medium and firm pillows. All of the pillows provided are non allergenic, not goose down. Feather pillows are available if you want them on request.

here is the link to HAL's description for you. http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/PR_Stateroom-Suite-Amenities.pdf

If you have a specific type of pillow and are unsure if you should bring yours or not, I would contact ship services to get a precise definition of the pillows on your ship. Some CC members have reported packing their own to be on the 'safe side'. I am quite fussy on my pillows as I can get neck aches easily and have had no issues with HAL's pillows.

Thank you so much for those incredibly helpful replies - I feel confident that I can safely leave my beloved pillow at home in Australia and save room in my suitcase for shopping at Sawgrass Mills instead!

Now there is someone really planning:D

I don't know where you are staying in FLL, but there is an outlet on 17th street near Embassy Suites - Ross's - depending upon what you are looking for they can have some nice bargains if you are willing to look and it is a good day. :D I hear there is another new spot behind ES as well but I haven't seen it or tested it yet. Sawgrass is HUGE. I was worn out the last time I checked it out.

There have been lots of mention that wine must be in your carry on baggage. My question concerns soda. I have seen nothing on whether it must be in carry on or can be in packed luggage.

right now it can technically be in your checked luggage. However, rafinmd just reported on his live thread that he was called to the "naughty" room so they could open up his suitcase to see his soda.

If you are not bringing a lot on, I would be tempted to carry it on. Otherwise check it and be prepared.

Remember, you don't have to bring it all on at embarkation. Depending upon your ports of call and availability of you soda, you can bring all the soda you want at every port of call - no problem at all.

hope this helps :D

And now for a very important question... Where can I find coffee EARLY in the morning? 😮 We are sailing on the NA and I wake up a lot earlier than DH so I usually slip out and try to find a cup of coffee while he is still sleeping.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by bjarrett7

And now for a very important question... Where can I find coffee EARLY in the morning? We are sailing on the NA and I wake up a lot earlier than DH so I usually slip out and try to find a cup of coffee while he is still sleeping.

You can go to the Lido and get a cup of coffee (available 24/7) or do what I do, which is bring a thermos (mine weighs less than 1 pound), fill it up at night just before bed, then when I wake I can either drink it on my verandah or wherever I wish (bathroom, sitting on sofa or...) without disturbing hubby.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

You can go to the Lido and get a cup of coffee (available 24/7) or do what I do, which is bring a thermos (mine weighs less than 1 pound), fill it up at night just before bed, then when I wake I can either drink it on my verandah or wherever I wish (bathroom, sitting on sofa or...) without disturbing hubby.

Joanie

Thanks! I had no idea that the Lido was open 24/7! Really thankful for this thread. I think our cabin is pretty far from there... K1116... Actually Joanie, I think your posts convinced me to try that cabin! Maybe I should consider the thermos idea :-)

And now for a very important question... Where can I find coffee EARLY in the morning? We are sailing on the NA and I wake up a lot earlier than DH so I usually slip out and try to find a cup of coffee while he is still sleeping.

how early is early? As IRL says, the Lido is available and coffee is pretty much 24/7. If early isn't TOO early, the Explorations Café opens early (around 7:00 am I believe) and they have nice coffee for purchase there as well.

For anyone in a Neptune Suite, the Neptune Lounge also has a coffee machine which makes different types of coffees. It usually opens around 7:00 am.

The Lido does it for me until the others are open. (I am an early riser;))

Thanks! I had no idea that the Lido was open 24/7! Really thankful for this thread. I think our cabin is pretty far from there... K1116...

Vertically, yes (use the elevator), but horizontally your cabin is fairly close to the Lido.

If you take the aft elevator up to the Lido Deck, you will arrive at the back of the Lido. There is coffee on the first cross aisle forward of that. From there you can go outside easily and enjoy the morning solitude.

Did not look enough...

I found this in the "terms and conditions":

Signature Beverage Package excludes beverages priced over US$7.00 and purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay.

awesome:D