New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Thank You. I guess you are talking about the specialty coffee and the soft drink cards. Wish I had been told that last time we were on HAL.

I was really talking about the specialty upgraded liquor cards that are so expensive.

Thank You for your prompt answer.

Carrie

You are most welcome

No, not the soda cards, I was talking about the beverage cards that can be used for anything - alcoholic drinks, bottles of wine, soda, coffee, etc. Those are the ones that are refundable.

When you said the amount I guessed you were talking about the specialty liquor cards. That's why I wanted to clarify. Those packages are not refundable. They can be a good deal for some and not for others.

It depends upon how much you drink ;)

Whew!! Just got done reading all 79 pages and lots of great info!

Just curious about the laundry service - we are sailing out of Seattle on the Eurodam and spending several days after the cruise - be nice to not have to pack too much and just have clothes washed. My question is this: will the laundry be washed and dried in hot water/high heat like on Carnival cruises? Or can we request cold wash/ medium heat? Or do they follow the clothe's instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whew!! Just got done reading all 79 pages and lots of great info!

Just curious about the laundry service - we are sailing out of Seattle on the Eurodam and spending several days after the cruise - be nice to not have to pack too much and just have clothes washed. My question is this: will the laundry be washed and dried in hot water/high heat like on Carnival cruises? Or can we request cold wash/ medium heat? Or do they follow the clothe's instructions?

You will get potentially different answers on this.

Our experience has been - if I want it washed in cold, I circle the item on the laundry sheet and then put cold in the circle.

In the special instructions - I put something like "those circled need to be washed in cold please, thank you". I haven't had an issue doing this.

I haven't requsted a specific heat and I haven't had damage to clothes that were washed.

HAL's laundry comes back very nicely. Things on hangers (if you say yes) all nicely pressed. The little items come in a wicker basket with tissue paper.

Very, very nice IMO.

We have been happy with the laundry service.

Does HAL provide hair conditioner in their room amenities or is it just body wash and shampoo? I cruised with them once and I can't remember. I do remember that I liked their products and thought "next time I might not bring my own". I really should do some journaling this time around...:o

Save

Does HAL provide hair conditioner in their room amenities or is it just body wash and shampoo? I cruised with them once and I can't remember. I do remember that I liked their products and thought "next time I might not bring my own". I really should do some journaling this time around...:o

Save

Yes, there is conditioner in a separate container.

I read on HAL for dummies somewhere among the 9 zillion posts, that you can order room service from the choices in the MDR. This was an older post and I'm wondering if this is still an available option. If so, how would you go about that?

Thank you in advance for your response!

I would like to know if Onboard Credits are available for stock holders of Carnival Corporation Stock on Holland America. What about Military Credit.

Thanks

Linda

For your Carnival Corp Stock question - yes,on board credit is available as long as you have a minimum holding of 100 shares.

You need to fax (or mail) your proof of ownership (with the appropriate items like your account # blacked out) to World Reservations.

Here is the link with all the details for you. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Edited by kazu

I've searched and can't find an answer:

When we reboard Rotterdam after excursions ( Mexico, Central America) can we get back on ship without our passports? I'd like to leave passports in cabin safe and take a photo copy of passport info page with me. Will HAL accept that?

Thank you!

I've searched and can't find an answer:

When we reboard Rotterdam after excursions ( Mexico, Central America) can we get back on ship without our passports? I'd like to leave passports in cabin safe and take a photo copy of passport info page with me. Will HAL accept that?

Thank you!

No need to take your passports (unless HAL tells you differently ;) ). Never have in those ports.

You do need a picture id. If you have a photo driver's license, that works or a colour copy of your passport has worked too :).

I always take colour copies of our key passport pages "in case".

No need to take your passports (unless HAL tells you differently ;) ). Never have in those ports.

You do need a picture id. If you have a photo driver's license, that works or a colour copy of your passport has worked too :).

I always take colour copies of our key passport pages "in case".

Thanks! We have color copies of everything. :D

We are heading out for our third HAL cruise in about a month. I was wondering do they still do the dinner chimes? I thought that was a lovely touch of the past and hope they still are upholding that tradition.

I've heard the chimes when eating early dinner and they want to clear the dining room for the main dining time. It's a really nice sound.

Thinking about booking a Lanai cabin on the Maasdam.

Can people walking by on the promenade look in?

How do I tell the size - the web site says they're 181 - 256 sq feet. That's a big difference. How do I tell which are which sizes? On the deck plan, I can only see one Lanai that looks larger than the rest, and that's a handicapped cabin.

Thinking about booking a Lanai cabin on the Maasdam.

Can people walking by on the promenade look in?

How do I tell the size - the web site says they're 181 - 256 sq feet. That's a big difference. How do I tell which are which sizes? On the deck plan, I can only see one Lanai that looks larger than the rest, and that's a handicapped cabin.

I can't help you on the size differences. But having spent 2 months on the Maasdam, the Lanai cabins have reflective glass that during the day prevents viewing the cabin from the promenade unless there's significant internal light. At night, it's a different story as the cabin is lighter than the outside and quite viewable. Also these have 2 reserved deck chairs right outside the cabin.

We normally travel in an inside cabin, but these were the first of a higher grade that appealed to us and we might try them in the future.

I can't help you on the size differences. But having spent 2 months on the Maasdam, the Lanai cabins have reflective glass that during the day prevents viewing the cabin from the promenade unless there's significant internal light. At night, it's a different story as the cabin is lighter than the outside and quite viewable. Also these have 2 reserved deck chairs right outside the cabin.

We normally travel in an inside cabin, but these were the first of a higher grade that appealed to us and we might try them in the future.

Were you happy with the size of your lanai cabin? Which one was it?

Were you happy with the size of your lanai cabin? Which one was it?

We traveled with an inside cabin (#692) and loved it. But in walking the deck most days, we had exposure to the lanai cabins on the lower promenade deck and were impressed by them enough to consider them for a future cruise.

I've done it both ways. Here's some of the advantages:

1. Special promotional deals like shipboard credits, beverage packages, etc.

2. Ability to talk to someone face to face.

3. Possible early promotion of a cruise and ability to select specific staterooms.

4. Possible lower deposits although this isn't always possible.

These are just a few benefits. Others may have received additional benefits and will chime in.

Keep in mind that even after you book on board, it's wise to check prices later on using HAL's site and see if there might be a better deal.

Is it possible to buy Future Cruise Credits onboard a HAL cruise if you know you'll be sailing HAL again, but aren't ready to commit to a specific cruise?

Can you obtain onboard credits and/or reduced deposits that way, like you can on Princess?

You can purchase future cruise deposits without knowing what cruise you want to take. And the deposits can be the special reduced deposits.

I don't specifically know about whether onboard credits can be purchased onboard.