New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

My boyfriend and I will be on the Eurodam cruise to Alaska on May 13 and at the time of sailing we will be 29 and 40 respectively. We love getting to know new people and are both quite outgoing but am starting to wonder if we will feel out of place? I understand Alaska can gather a more mature crowd. Its ok if we are the youngest people on the boat. We arent partiers but are very much looking forward to doing some intense excursions.

I also was wondering, is there an indoor pool? I'm assuming it will be rather cold to get in the pool in Alaska in May?

Booking excursions: If I book shore excursions in advance of my cruise, the site requires a credit card. Does that mean that I

1. can't apply onboard credit to the cost?

2. won't receive bonus days sailed credit toward Mariner status for the cost?

Booking excursions: If I book shore excursions in advance of my cruise, the site requires a credit card. Does that mean that I

1. can't apply onboard credit to the cost?

2. won't receive bonus days sailed credit toward Mariner status for the cost?

1.) Yes. You pay immediately via credit card. OBC needs to be spent while on board the ship.

2.) No. All expenses associated with your booking number will count toward bonus days. Go ahead and book shore excursions, spa/salon appointments, specialty dinners. All those will count.

If you are interested in an especially popular shore excursion, and there's a decent chance it will sell out before boarding, it's best to purchase it in advance, using your own funds.

Why take a chance on missing out, unless there is some other excursion that you would just as happily take.

I'm traveling on the Eurodam in September for first Alaska cruise. I have a few questions that I haven't seen answers for yet. We are in a veranda cabin on Rotterdam deck.

1. How many pillows in the room? Can you request additional?

2. What type of bedding? Comforters? Blankets?

3. Where can you fill water bottles?

4. Is the water from the tap okay to drink? (I know it's probably a dumb question but...)

5. How many electrical outlets in Verandah cabin?

6. I've seen restrictions on irons in the rooms. Can I take a flattening iron for my hair?

7. Can you request to have the table in your cabin removed to provide extra space?

Finally, just because I'm curious, when I took a cruise a million years ago, we took our life jackets to muster. I see now that it is no longer the standard. Why is that, Captain Ron?

Good questions HermmyGranger

Which specialty restaurants aboard the Eurodam offer lunch and what is the charge? I had read somewhere that you can dine in the Tamarind for free at lunch...

What will be open and available to eat prior to dinner on embarkation day? We are first timers so we won't be invited to the Mariners lunch.

Is there any incentive to eat in any specialty dining on a certain night? I've read some ships offer a free bottle of wine, etc

Is there a certain day where tobacco products are cheaper to buy on board duty free? Or is it best (in my boyfriends situation he uses snuff) to buy it prior to and bring it on board and does it need to be packed in his carry-on?

Are there robes in the verandah rooms?

Sorry I keep reading things and coming up with more questions than I ever realized I could have!

I'm traveling on the Eurodam in September for first Alaska cruise. I have a few questions that I haven't seen answers for yet. We are in a veranda cabin on Rotterdam deck.

3. Where can you fill water bottles?

4. Is the water from the tap okay to drink? (I know it's probably a dumb question but...)

You can fill your water bottle at your bathroom sink. Which also answers your question about drinking tap water---it is fine to drink.

Or, if you go to the Lido, you can ask that a steward fill it for you. You should never fill it directly from the spigot, but could pour from already filled glasses, if necessary.

Finally, just because I'm curious, when I took a cruise a million years ago, we took our life jackets to muster. I see now that it is no longer the standard. Why is that, Captain Ron?

When people brought their lifejackets to muster they couldn't follow the instruction to leave it on, and buckled, until they got back to their cabin. Consequently, the straps dragged, and others were tripped up and injured.

Which specialty restaurants aboard the Eurodam offer lunch and what is the charge? I had read somewhere that you can dine in the Tamarind for free at lunch...

The Pinnacle is open for lunch on some days, but not every day. You can check your daily program to see if it's open on any given day.

You can also check at the Pinnacle or at the reservation stand near or in the Lido and get the schedule for the entire cruise.

The Tamarind no longer serves lunch.

What will be open and available to eat prior to dinner on embarkation day? We are first timers so we won't be invited to the Mariners lunch.
When you board there is usually a sit-down lunch being served in the dining room from 12:00-1:00 or 1:30 (it can vary). This is no longer limited to Mariners.

The Lido is open from boarding until about 15 minutes before muster.

Dive-In is open for burgers. The pizza bar should also be open.

Is there any incentive to eat in any specialty dining on a certain night? I've read some ships offer a free bottle of wine, etc
Some of the Gala Night menus are pretty bad, which is incentive enough for me to dine elsewhere.

At least until recently, the menu on the last night is also a good reason to head to specialty dining.

I've never heard of any free bottles of wine, or any other incentive than the better food, service, and atmosphere.

Are there robes in the verandah rooms?

Every cabin has robes in them for use during the cruise.

Another quick question. My Mother had a Mariner number so she booked both our cabin and my brother's cabin. Will she be able to take all of us to the Mariner lunch on embarkation day or is she the only one eligible for this perk?

All can go. Enjoy! And if she is 4 star or above you can all enjoy easy boarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How early can you count on disembarking on the last day with a 7am port time? We are arriving in Seattle at 7am and I'm trying to figure out if we can make an 11:15 am train.

You should be fine. Just request an early disembarkation time. The train is not far from the ship, but a taxi would be best to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wanted to know if two people are buying

the thermal spa package do you have to be staying in the same cabin. Because it is cheaper for people "couple" to buy it then one person. I am traveling with some but we are staying in separate cabin.

No, you don't. As a matter of fact, you don't even have to know each other. If you were to find someone on your roll call, for example, or even another individual standing in the line to sign up, you can sign up as a "couple" and get the more favorable rates.

Any two people will do it, and you don't have to go at the same time.

Sorry if this has been asked, but if the ship is leaving port (for the initial day) at 4:00 pm, I know the HAL site says you must be on board by 3:00, but do you need to be there any earlier? I want to do a tour in the morning that goes from 10:30-12:30, so we probably wouldn't make it to the dock until about 1:30 at the earliest.

From what I remember of previous cruises, it's a lot of sitting around waiting to board anyway. Or do they require you to be in the terminal by 1:00?

(And just in case this matters, this is a cruise departing out of Amsterdam)

From what I remember of previous cruises, it's a lot of sitting around waiting to board anyway. Or do they require you to be in the terminal by 1:00?

Check-in starts about 11:00, and boarding begins at 11:30; there's not a lot of sitting around unless you get to the terminal very early.

But to answer your question, you can arrive around 1:00-1:30 and probably take only a few minutes to check in and walk right on.

How do you get tickets to see the shows at night? Is it difficult/usually sold out and is it extra cost or are those always included? Any tips or tricks we should know?
I think you just walk in, no reservations. It's not like Oasis/Quantum ships on Royal where you need to pre-book shows. I'm not aware of any extra-cost shows on HAL.

This may be a dumb question, especially since I haven't seen it asked elsewhere on CC. If my itinerary say that we'll be in port from 8 am to 4 pm:

Does this mean that the ship expects to dock at 8 am, or that I can plan on leaving the ship at 8 am?

If 8 am is when the ship is scheduled to dock, when should I expect to be able to go into town (assuming we're docking and not tendering)?

Is 4 pm when I need to be back on the ship; or 4 pm when the ship actually casts off its lines and sails away - and I should have been back by around 3 pm?

This may be a dumb question, especially since I haven't seen it asked elsewhere on CC. If my itinerary say that we'll be in port from 8 am to 4 pm:

Does this mean that the ship expects to dock at 8 am, or that I can plan on leaving the ship at 8 am?

If 8 am is when the ship is scheduled to dock, when should I expect to be able to go into town (assuming we're docking and not tendering)?

Is 4 pm when I need to be back on the ship; or 4 pm when the ship actually casts off its lines and sails away - and I should have been back by around 3 pm?

Normally you will be docked and cleared at the time of your arrival. So, you can usually leave the ship at your arrival time (ie. 8 a.m.). There can be delays now and then if the ship needs to be cleared. It's usually just a few minutes.

4 pm is the time you sail. All on board (the time you must be on board) is usually 1/2 hour before - so 3:30 pm. There is always a sign as you leave reminding you of the all onboard time and it is also in the daily paper.

4 pm is the time you sail. All on board (the time you must be on board) is usually 1/2 hour before - so 3:30 pm. There is always a sign as you leave reminding you of the all onboard time and it is also in the daily paper.
Thanks so much. I'd been thinking it was this, but then I started wondering whether I was shortchanging all my port excursion planning.

Normally you will be docked and cleared at the time of your arrival. So, you can usually leave the ship at your arrival time (ie. 8 a.m.). There can be delays now and then if the ship needs to be cleared. It's usually just a few minutes.
Just to be clear:

Arrival time = scheduled docking time = the time when there's a gangplank out and passengers are generally free to leave the ship.

Some time before that = time when the captain and the harbormaster and whoever else mess around with paperwork until the ship is cleared.

Some time even earlier = time when the ship physically pulls into the dock and gets tied to it.

Am I getting that right?

Thanks so much. I'd been thinking it was this, but then I started wondering whether I was shortchanging all my port excursion planning.

Just to be clear:

Arrival time = scheduled docking time = the time when there's a gangplank out and passengers are generally free to leave the ship.

Some time before that = time when the captain and the harbormaster and whoever else mess around with paperwork until the ship is cleared.

Some time even earlier = time when the ship physically pulls into the dock and gets tied to it.

Am I getting that right?

Yes, I think you have that right. The gangway may be out on the odd occasion but if the clearance isn't finished then you can't get off until it is. That's rare, but it can happen.

This only applies to ports, not to disembarkation which is a whole different process and clearance, of course.

Just to be clear:

Am I getting that right?

If you want to see the approach and docking procedures, you need to be outside about 1.5 hours before the arrival time on the schedule. On my first cruise to Alaska on the Oosterdam, I set my alarm for 15 minutes before we docked in Juneau and when I opened the stateroom curtains, the ship was already tied to the pier.

I've really enjoyed this board as my wife and I prepare for our first cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska. I've got some questions regarding Onboard Credits.

1. How do I purchase the OBCs? Is there a spot on the HAL website? Or, do I let my PCC know? Can I purchase the OBC at any time before sailing?

2. Can the OBC be used for everything on board? Dinners at the PG and Tamarind? Wine and alcohol purchases? Tips? HSC charges? Excursions?

3. Is there a limit of how much OBC I can purchase?

4. If I don't buy a Signature Beverage Package, do I get receipts for every drink I buy? And then, will these (plus tips) be deducted from the OBC?

5. Can I check at the main desk while cruising to stay updated on my OBC account?

6. I I don't use up the OBC total, is the difference refunded to me upon disembarkation?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by MtnClimber1101

I've really enjoyed this board as my wife and I prepare for our first cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska. I've got some questions regarding Onboard Credits.

1. How do I purchase the OBCs? Is there a spot on the HAL website? Or, do I let my PCC know? Can I purchase the OBC at any time before sailing?

2. Can the OBC be used for everything on board? Dinners at the PG and Tamarind? Wine and alcohol purchases? Tips? HSC charges? Excursions?

3. Is there a limit of how much OBC I can purchase?

4. If I don't buy a Signature Beverage Package, do I get receipts for every drink I buy? And then, will these (plus tips) be deducted from the OBC?

5. Can I check at the main desk while cruising to stay updated on my OBC account?

6. I I don't use up the OBC total, is the difference refunded to me upon disembarkation?

Thanks for the help.

1, Yes, you can purchase OBC on the HAL website. Log in and choose purchase by your reservation and then gifts/indulgences.

2 & 3. Yes, OBC can be used for everything. Charges on board are put to your on board account and any OBC you have. There is no limit that I am aware of to the amount you purchase.

4. Yes,, you will get a receipt for every drink you buy and they and the tips will be deducted from your OBC.

5. Yes you can. You can also print off your statement at the self serve machine. Note - The OBC will appear at the beginning of your statement. Then all charges will be applied so you will see a declining credit balance.

6. As long as you have purchased the OBC, any OBC not used will be refunded to you.

Lastly, be sure to bring the proof of purchase (email confirmation) of your obc. Once you have seen it on your statement, you can put the confirmation in recycling.