Love & Marriage Show

Just a few questions... about the game Love & Marriage

This November we will be cruising with my in-laws as they celebrate 50 years of marriage. Can you just sign up people or does RCI pick people at random??

Also, what night does it happen?? We are going on the Oasis as a large family with friends my in-laws met on their honeymoon 50 years ago, so I think it might be a nice treat for them, that is, if they want to be the celebrities for the week!! :D

Any thoughts/info would be great - Thanks!

This November we will be cruising with my in-laws as they celebrate 50 years of marriage. Can you just sign up people or does RCI pick people at random??

Also, what night does it happen?? We are going on the Oasis as a large family with friends my in-laws met on their honeymoon 50 years ago, so I think it might be a nice treat for them, that is, if they want to be the celebrities for the week!! :D

You have to go to the CD and be interviewed;when they ask for volunteers. You could try and email the CD to ask prior to the sailing but prior consent from the couple maybe the best or request direct from them to be contestants. PPOV

There are a few threads with current CD of each ship and how to contact them for RCCL on the message boards.

Edited by Folk Singer

The selection process varies by CD. Some make all 3 couples audition, and the more outrageous audition, the better chance of being selected. Some pick the first and/or third couple based on least and most amount of time married, respectively.

Edited by clarea

Many cruise director's pick the "longest married couple" in the theater to be the "old couple". Your in-laws' 50 years of marriage may get them that distinction. My last cruise the longest married couple (at least that would admit it) was only like 38 years, but I've seen couples married for 70+ years be the longest married ones.

Edited by UCF_Knight

I'd go and chat to the Cruise Director when you get onboard and get them onside with what you hope can happen :-)

Thank you all for your advice...

Looks like I need to have a chat with the CD!! :cool:

I know it's usually the first or second night - Anyone have a better idea on what night it is? I'm a planner, and so is the M-I-L so I want to make sure we are free plan wise. There's a good chance that if it is one of those nights, it will be on their actual anniversary - And how fun would that be to play on your 50th Anniversary!!!!:D

Love & Marriage shows I've attended all have some sort of audition - from volunteers in the audience. The 2 I can remember are - best kiss - and Tarzan Yell . . . . which often involved beating of chest, kiss, etc. Then audience clapped - and couples were picked if they received loudest applause and shouts . . . . hilarious every time.

On two of my cruises the couples were chosen by a random drawing. We arrived late for one of them, so I'm not sure exactly how it worked, but on the other cruise couples filled out raffle tickets before the bingo game that preceeded Love and Marriage, and there were separate buckets for newlyweds, people married for more than a certain amount of time (maybe 30 years?), and "regular" couples.

Love & Marriage shows I've attended all have some sort of audition - from volunteers in the audience. The 2 I can remember are - best kiss - and Tarzan Yell . . . . which often involved beating of chest, kiss, etc. Then audience clapped - and couples were picked if they received loudest applause and shouts . . . . hilarious every time.

I've seen that as well, most recently on Oasis. The loudest, craziest folks were the ones who got selected...and they were so much fun to watch on stage!

You have to go to the CD and be interviewed;when they ask for volunteers. You could try and email the CD to ask prior to the sailing but prior consent from the couple maybe the best or request direct from them to be contestants. PPOV

There are a few threads with current CD of each ship and how to contact them for RCCL on the message boards.

.....same sex couple! It was not a good experience for us. Right, Folk singer?

As you have read here, different cruise directors choose the participants in different ways.

Just a word of warning.....my DH and I were picked for the game show, for the longest married couple....we were married 38 years, and no couple married longer was willing to play. We did, and for us -- we had a great time playing. We won....during the days following the game, people would come up to us (either when we were together or separately and comment on one of our answers).

YOU may feel it is a 'great game for your in-laws to play, but they may NOT feel the same'.....it can get a little personal, and sometimes be invasive -- depending upon the cruise director.

I have seen some couples be very uncomfortable playing and others take it with a 'fun attitude'.

I'm curious what you mean by this.

My husband I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary next year and will be on a cruise to celebrate in style. Hubby wants to try to do the Love & Marriage game.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I do want to say that I am not going to sign up my dear in-laws for the Love & Marriage game without their knowledge, as they are avid cruisers and know full-well that they could be the TMI couple of the week!!!

My thought on this was to see how the process goes, so I could maybe talk them into doing it, if they were interested. I'd love to think that RCI would be easy on them at 50 years of marriage, but having seen Love & Marriage in action, its doubtful! :D

That was a shame. Other than that, I've enjoyed watching the game, but would never play. We might qualify as the longest married couple (42 years), depending, of course, on the average age of the people on that cruise;), but my husband can't remember what he did yesterday, never mind when my birthday is, and probably couldn't answer most of the other standard questions! I'll keep him, though, because he does all the cooking, housework and dishes, that's good enough for me!

Beth

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I do want to say that I am not going to sign up my dear in-laws for the Love & Marriage game without their knowledge, as they are avid cruisers and know full-well that they could be the TMI couple of the week!!!

My thought on this was to see how the process goes, so I could maybe talk them into doing it, if they were interested. I'd love to think that RCI would be easy on them at 50 years of marriage, but having seen Love & Marriage in action, its doubtful! :D

As you by now have gathered...you don't 'sign up' for the L&M game; you actually have to be in the audience that night and go through whatever routine the CD puts together to 'choose the couples' to play the game.

Since you are going with a group of people you may be able to 'coerce' them into trying to be the 'couple married the longest' -- there is no guarantee they would be chosen. If they have seen the game show on a cruise ship...they know they can usually 'decline'.

When we were chosen to play, there were other couples married longer than we were....who were not interested in being the 'couple on stage'....the CD kept going until he found us.....and it was fun for us. In choosing the longest married couple the CD did not do silly games to pick the couple -- in the same way they chose the newest married couple or the mid range married couple.

I often wonder how many answers are truthful. I have seen three (small sample) and in those...and from the comments of others it applies to a lot more...many of the questions are the same;

The last question posed to the women has always been the same "Most exciting/interesting place you have made whoopi?" You can just make up something interesting for that one.

They have also always asked a multiple choice question about the love life...you can just agree to select answer D

They have always asked the men what they would change (if they had the power) about their wife...make one bigger and one smaller.

They have always asked for the most annoying habit...just pick one and use it regardless of who is asked.

They usually ask about 1st date...even if you cannot remember, make something up.

That will get you to match at least three...maybe even five...of the six questions. Very likely you win and don't have to reveal the truth.

I often wonder how many answers are truthful. I have seen three (small sample) and in those...and from the comments of others it applies to a lot more...many of the questions are the same;

The last question posed to the women has always been the same "Most exciting/interesting place you have made whoopi?" You can just make up something interesting for that one.

They have also always asked a multiple choice question about the love life...you can just agree to select answer D

They have always asked the men what they would change (if they had the power) about their wife...make one bigger and one smaller.

They have always asked for the most annoying habit...just pick one and use it regardless of who is asked.

They usually ask about 1st date...even if you cannot remember, make something up.

That will get you to match at least three...maybe even five...of the six questions. Very likely you win and don't have to reveal the truth.

Even if it is not totally truthful it is still the funniest thing on the ship. That is one show I never miss.

Does not look fun if all the answers are pre planned. If you don't want to have fun just don't Play the game.

Not good advice

Great show! The oldest couple on our last cruise was 50yrs, they were hilarious. It was a kissing contest for those interested in playing that time.

As already mentioned, it gets pretty personal. We were sitting real close and could almost feel the tension from our seats. Richard Spacey was picking fun at the older guys shorts saying he'd never seen a pair so short and started calling him the crocodile hunter. It was all in good fun and the guy was laughing but I could see how that might offend someone being on stage in the spotlight and all.

If they do get selected make sure you have a camera rolling :D

I think (at least for the couple cruises where we've gone to see the L&M show) they always record it and give a copy to the people participating. Always a fun gift, particularly for those in the 'just married' category. :)

If those just married, stay married LONG ENOUGH....it probably would be fun to watch in 15 or so years.

You missed bra size. Seriously ... as they are headed up to the stage, you'd think she'd be whispering "36C".

But I agree that it is a "Do Not Miss" event. By now I can almost recite the questions with the CD ... but it's still very funny.

Just curious, on "color of the wife's underwear" has the longest-married couple ever said anything but "white"?

Edited by emeraldcity