How to convince DH that cheers is worth it...

CRU1Z1N

With the new pricing I want to try the cheers program. We always bring on our wine limit which would take us through embarkment day :) Then purchase cheers on day 2 which is already over a $75 savings for the two of us!

So here lies the problem. Last cruise...valor out of San Juan. Port intensive only one sea day. Total onboard bar bill approx $160 for 7 days.

He therefore cannot justify the cheers program for our cruise on the dream where there are only 3 port days and 3 sea days. He's usually a beer drinker and I'm the frozen type. I figure at least 3 drinks minimum a day for me without cheers. Oh what to do....

I was wondering if Cheers would make sense for us on our recent cruise on Carnival Magic (3-port days, 3-sea days). I created a spreadsheet (yes, I'm a nerd) of what I thought I would spend for drinks (+ gratuity) on a port day and what I thought I might spend on a sea day, then I averaged them. I did the same for my wife’s expected consumption. If the average daily consumption for both of us met the cost of Cheers for both of us, then it would make sense.

Our numbers weren't quite equal to what Cheers cost, so we didn't do it. The decision to do Cheers would be a no-brainer now that the price has dropped. Wish they had dropped the price 5 weeks ago. :(

Do the math and show your husband. We guys like to see stuff in black and white. ;)

This is what is posted in the FAQ as of today:

Price ranges are as follows:

3 day $165-$210 per person/per voyage

4 day $180-$200 per person/per voyage

5 and 6 day $212.50 - $296.50 per person/per voyage

7 and 8 day $262.50 - $399.50 per person/per voyage

So, how do you know what the price is? If I'm on a 7 day, is it $262.50 or 399.50?

For those that think you have to be a big drinker you are wrong. If you have 3 drinks by the pool all day, 2 with dinner and 3 more in the evening. You have more than broke even and you are never drunk. My wife and I did just this and had a great cruise. We never had to worry about how much we were spending or getting a surprise at the end of the cruise.

For those that think you have to be a big drinker you are wrong. If you have 3 drinks by the pool all day, 2 with dinner and 3 more in the evening. You have more than broke even and you are never drunk. My wife and I did just this and had a great cruise. We never had to worry about how much we were spending or getting a surprise at the end of the cruise.

This!

Although I would have more like 5 by the pool during the day.:D

I sure wish I could take advantage of the Cheers program but DH does not drink.:mad:

This!

Although I would have more like 5 by the pool during the day.:D

I sure wish I could take advantage of the Cheers program but DH does not drink.:mad:

You are aware that there are many other cruise lines that offer an unlimited drink package and do not require all guests over 21 to purchase it. They also are consistent with their pricing structures without offering seasonal pricing and vary the per diem rate based on length of the cruise.

You are aware that there are many other cruise lines that offer an unlimited drink package and do not require all guests over 21 to purchase it. They also are consistent with their pricing structures without offering seasonal pricing and vary the per diem rate based on length of the cruise.

Thank you!

I only know of Princess which I will take advantage of on my upcoming cruise with them. If you don't mind, what others?

I would have difficulty with the port days though. :eek:

May not be cost effective for me on those days.

Thank you!

I only know of Princess which I will take advantage of on my upcoming cruise with them. If you don't mind, what others?

I would have difficulty with the port days though. :eek:

May not be cost effective for me on those days.

Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity are some. I'm sure there are others.

If you're not a heavy drinker, it's just not worth it, especially if you start drinking JUST to make it worth it.

We still smuggle, but if we got caught, we'd move to step 2, and buy some bon voyage liquor.

How do you smuggle? I've read a ton on here, but just curious what your personal smuggling technique is?

Have him do the math, then ask him how many times he wants a drink but chooses not to have one because of the bill at the end of the cruise. It's all it took for me. We will sign up on our next cruise!

That is my exact argument. I just like not having to be on earned about it.

With the new pricing I want to try the cheers program. We always bring on our wine limit which would take us through embarkment day :) Then purchase cheers on day 2 which is already over a $75 savings for the two of us!

So here lies the problem. Last cruise...valor out of San Juan. Port intensive only one sea day. Total onboard bar bill approx $160 for 7 days.

He therefore cannot justify the cheers program for our cruise on the dream where there are only 3 port days and 3 sea days. He's usually a beer drinker and I'm the frozen type. I figure at least 3 drinks minimum a day for me without cheers. Oh what to do....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe this will help (or not???)). This is a "Breakeven" chart I created. It is based on the new pricing and is only for the 7-8 day cruises (pricing is different on shorter cruises):

Cheers-NEW-breakevencalculations7-8daycruises_zpsbc6c9c67.png

So, for instance, you say your DH is a beer drinker. He would need to average 7 domestic or 8 import beers per day to break even.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise! :)

I just came across this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088939

By doing a little math on the 7-8 day cruise cost ("$262.50 - $399.50 per person/per voyage"), I have calculated that the "per person/per day" rate will be between $37.50 (as my chart above uses) and $49.93 (which is very close to what the old pricing is).

The new FAQs now state that "Pricing will be subject to change depending on duration and seasonality" :eek:

Better take a calculator. :rolleyes:

CHEERS FAQs:http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=beverage

Sorry, I used to think the same thing but if I were to drink that amount I would be walking around buzzed all day, which is not something that I am really interested in so this is not something that I would want to do every day for 7 days. Not my idea of fun. (The foregoing statement only pertains to myself and my own personal likes and dislikes and should not be taken as a criticism of what others choose to do:).)