First time cruise - formal nights what to wear

Nowayjose99

No mainstream cruise line has a strictly formal night. They all have a formal optional night or casual elegant night. The best advice for "fitting in" is a lovely cocktail dress for ladies (heels, jewelry, LBD, clutch purse) while men dress in dark suit with long sleeve shirt and tie.

You can go more or less formal as long as you fall within the minimum dress code which usually means no shorts, tanks or swimwear, plastic flip flops.

You really can't be "too" formal on formal night. A tux or dark suit for men, gown or cocktail dress for women is what "formal" means. Do you have to? No...

As far as the "style" of formality...dress in your own style...it's not a costume, it's simply nice evening clothing.

You should check with the Holland America board, I haven't cruised with them (yet), so I can't tell you what their idea of formal nights are, although I do expect them to actually be formal.

We've cruised with Princess and DH wears his standard tux and I wear a cocktail dress or longer gown.

There's nothing worse looking than everyone dressed up nicely except for a few people wandering around in casual clothes.

You should check with the Holland America board, I haven't cruised with them (yet), so I can't tell you what their idea of formal nights are, although I do expect them to actually be formal.

We've cruised with Princess and DH wears his standard tux and I wear a cocktail dress or longer gown.

There's nothing worse looking than everyone dressed up nicely except for a few people wandering around in casual clothes.

Thanks to all the responders!

I get that people wear suits or tuxes and cocktail dresses or gowns. Are the tuxes Armani and the dresses Dior? I have a feeling that we are going to have to shop for formal wear, and I'm putting together the master plan...

I get that people wear suits or tuxes and cocktail dresses or gowns. Are the tuxes Armani and the dresses Dior? I have a feeling that we are going to have to shop for formal wear, and I'm putting together the master plan...

We sail HAL the most and you do not need to wear Armani or Dior! Any decent suit and tie, tux, or sport coat and shirt and tie for men. What would you wear to a nice restaurant at home, or to a wedding. Same for women. Any nice dress, long gown or cocktail dress - again what she might wear to a nice restaurant or wedding. Or dressy pants and top. Throw on some nice jewellery ( costume is fine, no need to borrow the Crown Jewels).

I would add that HAL tends to be a bit more "traditional" than some of the other lines. So like you said in your first post, maybe "traditional" rather than "fashion forward".

Edited by Daisyloo

We always enjoy dressing up for formal nights (tux, gown or cocktail dress), and many people do, but please don't worry that anything less than Armani is not good enough! We have bought almost all of our formalwear in charity shops; the treasure hunt goes on all year for us. I have found some fabulous designer dresses, but I like some of my department store brand ones just as well.

My wife and I are taking our first cruise in November to the carribean on holland America westerdam - 7 days.

The formal nights are a bit of a mystery fashion wise."

We just returned from our second cruise (both Princess). The Alaska cruise last summer was much less formal. Meaning there were many people not in formal wear. On the Mediterranean cruise I would say over 90% were in formal wear, though no one was turned away at the restaurants. Men wore dark suits and I did see a lot of tux. Women wore cocktail short and long dresses, long skirts, dressy pants and tops. I would not bother buying expensive clothing, who would even know? You can't go wrong with dark, dressy looking outfits. There is such a variety of people on these ships, no need to buy fashion forward clothing unless YOU care. Just wear what you would feel comfortable for a dressy occasion. I bought a stretchy black dress that I could pack easily, at a discount store, that could be dressed up or down and very cool costume jewelry. I wore silver sandals because lugging dress heels was just not important to me. And if you don't care at all, just go to the buffet on formal nights. We skipped the second formal night and there were plenty of people dressed casually up there.

No mainstream cruise line has a strictly formal night. They all have a formal optional night or casual elegant night. The best advice for "fitting in" is a lovely cocktail dress for ladies (heels, jewelry, LBD, clutch purse) while men dress in dark suit with long sleeve shirt and tie.

You can go more or less formal as long as you fall within the minimum dress code which usually means no shorts, tanks or swimwear, plastic flip flops.

Just in case others are reading this, the 2nd paragraph does not (as of this writing) apply to Holland America in the Main Dining Room and Pinnacle Grill on formal nights. Men are expected to wear jackets and ties on HAL for formal night in the MDR and the Pinnacle Grill.

Just in case others are reading this, the 2nd paragraph does not (as of this writing) apply to Holland America in the Main Dining Room and Pinnacle Grill on formal nights. Men are expected to wear jackets and ties on HAL for formal night in the MDR and the Pinnacle Grill.

There is a difference between "expected" and "enforced." I have not cruised HAL so can't comment specifically, but most mainstream cruise lines publish a suggested dress code, but does HAL turn away men not wearing jackets?

Just went and read it for myself. Looks like the only verboten items are what I pointed out already : (bolding mine)

Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts

are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the

evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or

gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There

are approximately two formal nights per seven days and

three formal nights per ten days. Formal wear for ladies and

gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise

by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or

(305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit

cruiselineformal.com. Your formal wear will be in your

stateroom when you board. In order to complement your

fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the

suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

My hubby has M&S Dinner Suit, lightweight and cost about £50 for jacket and trousers (sold separately -now about £70), has since paid for itself many times, bow ties are cheap enough, start with black. The usually do a plain suit version as well. As posted before a dark suit, shirt and tie should suffice. I find it difficult to get nice dressie outfits. have a long black dress from Debenhams, and 2 shorter cocktail style dresses, a nice black skirt with a couple of sparkly tops, again M&S and Debenhams. These have sufficed for many cruises, and now form part of a cruise wardrobe. (Other cruisers will identify with the 'cruise wardrobe' I expect).

Relax and enjoy it, its a chance to dress up if you want to, although you will probably find once you see everyone else do it you will want to join in.

Last cruise P&O, saile on same ship twice, first time not so strict, this time hubby not allowed into main restaurant as he didn't have his jacket! Had to go back and get it. Other tip, take a throw or shrug, air con sometimes a bit cool.

There is a difference between "expected" and "enforced." I have not cruised HAL so can't comment specifically, but most mainstream cruise lines publish a suggested dress code, but does HAL turn away men not wearing jackets?

Just went and read it for myself. Looks like the only verboten items are what I pointed out already : (bolding mine)

Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts

are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the

evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or

gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There

are approximately two formal nights per seven days and

three formal nights per ten days. Formal wear for ladies and

gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise

by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or

(305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit

cruiselineformal.com. Your formal wear will be in your

stateroom when you board. In order to complement your

fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the

suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

I'm going to nitpik here.

Having cruised on Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity, in their published daily information, it does not say that "tonight is a suggested formal night", it says, tonight is formal night.The suggestions are for what is accepted as formal wear since some people may not know or are not sure. Posters ask many times on this board what they should wear on formal nights as they are unsure.

Do they turn anyone away from the MDR if they are not dressed in the suggested dress code? No.

nolatravelgirl, you missed part of the info when you quoted. I have added it in bold:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo.

To me the reference to what is not allowed seems to be regarding Smart Casual nights. Of course that is subject to interpretation, as demonstrated by your opinion and my opinion.

As for your question about whether the dress code is enforced, I am not the fashion police. We do not pay attention to what goes on at the entrance to the Main Dining Room, our table is far away from it. There are reports on the Holland America board of some passengers being turned away if not dressed to "code" on formal nights. There are other reports of people dining in overalls and ball caps on formal night.

I've not witnessed either of those so IMHO it is just hearsay. But I have cruised HAL, and from what I have observed with my own eyes most guests follow each evening's dress code for the MDR and the Pinnacle Grill.

nolatravelgirl, you missed part of the info when you quoted. I have added it in bold:

To me the reference to what is not allowed seems to be regarding Smart Casual nights. Of course that is subject to interpretation, as demonstrated by your opinion and my opinion.

As for your question about whether the dress code is enforced, I am not the fashion police. We do not pay attention to what goes on at the entrance to the Main Dining Room, our table is far away from it. There are reports on the Holland America board of some passengers being turned away if not dressed to "code" on formal nights. There are other reports of people dining in overalls and ball caps on formal night.

I've not witnessed either of those so IMHO it is just hearsay. But I have cruised HAL, and from what I have observed with my own eyes most guests follow each evening's dress code for the MDR and the Pinnacle Grill.

I have no skin in the HAL game and frankly could care less what folks sailing HAL wear, but I am merely pointing out the official word from the cruise line. If the original poster does not own a designer ball gown and/or tuxedo then they are welcome to wear a nice put together outfit without spending a fortune to appease the few. Sure the HAL biddies will snub their nose at the lady wearing a simple black knit shift dress and flats and a man in a khakis with long sleeve button down shirt (no tie or jacket) on formal night but the fact remains is they won't be turned away from dining in the venue since they meet the minimum dress requirement

We cruised with HAL to the Caribbean and as I wasn't sure how formal it would be, I decided to compromise. I took a very smart black cocktail dress and my husband his usual black tie suit. I also took a formal long black dress in case it was more formal. I wore the cocktail dress on the 1st formal night and I felt extremely overdressed. I could count on one hand how many long dresses I saw and very few cocktail dresses. We didn't see many men in black tie either. Most women were wearing sparkly tops or sparkly jackets and black trousers or skirts. Some in floaty dresses or skirts. For the rest of the cruise I wore my sparkly tops and black trousers or skirt and my husband wore a jacket or suit and tie. From other reviews it seems different cruises to the med etc. can be more formal. So I recommend covering your options like I did.