Thomson Dream Ship Review August 14

Just posted the review on the main site, but for those that cannot wait here it is:

Any questions just holler and I will get around to doing a review of the ports with a wheelchair soon.

The view from a wheelchair pusher....

First a bit of background.... we are seasoned Thomson Cruisers, think this is about 10 or 11, having been on Destiny, Celebration, Majesty and Dream.

We arrived back from a wonderful cruise on the Majesty and were asked by Mum and Dad if they could accompany us on our next cruise. We were thinking of trying a cruise line we had not been on but as Mum is a wheelchair user we thought it best to stick to a line and ship we know.

We decided on the Dream as it is the largest ship of the fleet and quite easy to navigate.

The booking process was quite easy, when phoning the passenger assistance line they told us which adapted cabins were available and instructed us to book both cabins we needed online and phone back the next day so they could change one to an adapted cabin. Very straightforward and they even booked wheelchair assistance at the airport both ways and reserved 2 seats at the front of the aircraft at no extra charge, and arranged for 2 seats on the same row at a charge.

The transfer out went well, with Mum being able to manage the couple of steps onto the coach and the first 2 seats were reserved too. At the port we were whisked past the queue to a desk specially set up for people with mobility issues and shown to cabin 1002 which we had booked for Mum and Dad at no extra cost.

It’s a well appointed, airy and comfortable outside cabin, about as large as the suites, and a bathroom that is adapted well, a wheelchair can fit under the sink, there is a large shower with a fold down seat and plenty of grab handles around. It’s like a wet room really as it fills with water when the shower is used as there is no lip to step over.

The only issue was that the toilet occasionally (4 times in 2 weeks) overflowed; sometimes in the middle of the night when it hadn't been used for hours it would just start to overflow. The plumber tried to blame use of materials other than the paper provided but we know this wasn't the case.

When we had Mum and Dad settled we went down to find our cabin 6107, this is a standard inside and perfectly adequate for 2. We chose this knowing it was only 3 cabins away from stairwell B which was close to 1002 up on deck 10.

Navigating the ship with a wheelchair.... We found that there were some places that were tricky to get to. It just needed a bit of thinking about, for instance lift A could not access the cabins on deck 10 but was the required lift to get to deck 11 if in a wheelchair. So to get to Sirens buffet required going down to deck 9 on lift B across to lift A and up to deck 11. The prom deck could only be accessed via the Lido restaurant. Things were OK we just needed to plan the route before we went and after a day or so we had it embedded in the brain cells.

We found the food fine last time we went on the Dream 18 months ago, the portions were a bit small in the Orion, but not so this time, the size was about the same as the Majesty. I would say the quality has improved slightly, the cuts of meat we had were excellent, not cheap stuff. The quality was about the same as Majesty maybe slightly better as I found the dishes were salted less. The Surf and Turf we had in the Grill was excellent, a really nice Sirloin.

So from what has been reported on here it looks like the quality dropped over last winter and has now improved. Still serving those horrible tinned Mushrooms at Breakfast though...

The entertainment was fine, just like on the Majesty last year Brandi and Max were the stand out performers. The photography concession has changed and is so much better than we have encountered before, not pushy or in your face at all.

The staff are amazing, they are on any Thomson ship anyway, but the service they gave to Mum and Dad was exceptional. As soon as they see anyone with a stick or in a wheelchair they go over and help when possible, carrying trays at the buffet, opening doors, etc, they are truly a credit to the ship and cannot do enough for you.

I will do a port review on the Thomson forum section in the future, but I must comment that they have purchased a new tracked stair-climber that helps to get the wheelchair up and down the gangway easier. It’s a slow process but is safer for both the passenger and the crew members that assist.

So top marks for Thomsons looking after passengers with mobility problems.

We have just been asked by Mum and Dad, “When are we going again?”

Joe interesting to read your post. My disabled DH and I were on the Dream this February and are going again next February. Our cabin 9037 had bathroom issues too. It has a wet room supposedly, but the shower has a lip around it that allows water to flood over it as the drain keeps blocking up and then of course because of the lip it can't go back .The bathroom was always 2 inches deep in water I had to put towels across the doorway to prevent it draining into the cabin down the sloped doorway. Our steward must have got through a ton of towels trying to mop it up everyday. We have booked a different cabin for next year 9020 I hope we don't have the toilet issue not sure which is the lesser of two evils.

I was also interested that you were allocated front row seats on the flight we travelled in the front row of economy on the Dreamliner and have been allocated these again for next year but both of us had to pay an extra legroom charge each time :( The staff were lovely to my DH carrying his mobility scooter down to the dock a tracked system sounds excellent. Does that mean he can stay on his mobility scooter as the steps were very hard for him.

Joe interesting to read your post. My disabled DH and I were on the Dream this February and are going again next February. Our cabin 9037 had bathroom issues too. It has a wet room supposedly, but the shower has a lip around it that allows water to flood over it as the drain keeps blocking up and then of course because of the lip it can't go back .The bathroom was always 2 inches deep in water I had to put towels across the doorway to prevent it draining into the cabin down the sloped doorway. Our steward must have got through a ton of towels trying to mop it up everyday. We have booked a different cabin for next year 9020 I hope we don't have the toilet issue not sure which is the lesser of two evils.

I was also interested that you were allocated front row seats on the flight we travelled in the front row of economy on the Dreamliner and have been allocated these again for next year but both of us had to pay an extra legroom charge each time :( The staff were lovely to my DH carrying his mobility scooter down to the dock a tracked system sounds excellent. Does that mean he can stay on his mobility scooter as the steps were very hard for him.

I know what you mean about the water drainage, it never drained into the cabin but there was always some water around until the cabin steward came in to clear it. That meant that if you wanted to use the toilet after a shower and getting dressed then your shoes would get wet. Dad went and got a squeegee from reception so he could clear it straight away, they didn't want to let him have one as they said it was the stewards job. When he explained the issue they let him have one.

The stair-climber was this one:

http://www.savaria.com/products/other-products/roby-mobile

It will only take a wheelchair by the looks of it, not a scooter.

Just put some pictures up:

https://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures/1954

A big thank you to Kruzeeka for telling me about Villa Ephussi in Villefranche.

We loved it.:D:D

Bought the combined ticket and went to Villa Kerylos as well.

We took our ID's from work and got the reduced rate as we work in education.

Just put some pictures up:

https://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures/1954

A big thank you to Kruzeeka for telling me about Villa Ephussi in Villefranche.

We loved it.:D:D

Bought the combined ticket and went to Villa Kerylos as well.

We took our ID's from work and got the reduced rate as we work in education.

Brill! Great when a plan comes together! So pleased you enjoyed it Joe. :)

• 2 weeks later...