Cell phone service on ship for Alaska cruises?

We've cruised the Caribbean many times, but never Alaska. Leaving on the Celebrity Solstice on 29 August. Wondering, since we never really get that far offshore, if there is generally some cell phone reception on the ship? We are from the US, so I don't think this would be considered international. Would appreciate the opinion of others.

We've cruised the Caribbean many times, but never Alaska. Leaving on the Celebrity Solstice on 29 August. Wondering, since we never really get that far offshore, if there is generally some cell phone reception on the ship? We are from the US, so I don't think this would be considered international. Would appreciate the opinion of others.

While onboard the ship (particularly while moving) your cell phone calls will go through Cellular at Sea (just like on Caribbean cruises). You will be charged whatever additional costs that incurs.

While in port in Alaska, your calls will be considered in the US by most plans, with no extra costs. Calling while in Vancouver/Victoria will have roaming costs.

It's best to check your plan to see whether Alaska will have additional costs.

Edited by Shmoo here

It also depends on your carrier coverage area. Check their coverage map, and as Shmoo stated, it will be Cellular at Sea on the ship.

I have Sprint, and I didn't have coverage in a couple of ports, unless I used roaming. So it's not always a given just because it the US.

Debbie

Edited by crzndeb

At sea, you not only incur cellular at sea charges, but if you are off of Canada (enroute to/from Seattle or Vancouver) you may also have roaming charges.

My experience with Verizon is that I absolutely have roaming charges while in Canada. It's international calling.

Sure, you're close to shore, but there's mostly no one on those shores. No people = no cell towers.

We took a cruise from Ketchikan to Juneau and service was pretty spotty. (Our ship was a small one with no fancy telecomm systems that passengers could use, so we could use the phone only when we were in an area served by Verizon.)

Worked fine in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka, as well as Klawock (pop. 854). Good thing since I had to call a clinic in Klawock to get an appointment so DH could be treated for an attack of gout. The rest of the time when we weren't near any populated area there was no service. No extra charges, but our cruise was totally in the US.

Edited by Gloria Mundi

I have had some slightly different experiences.

When in Canada close to a US border, (Toronto for example) I've been able to pick up a Verizon Wireless signal and place a call without international or roaming charges.

When I was cruising along the coast of Italy on Windstar, I was able to override the Cellular at Sea and pick up a Vodafone.it signal to place the call using the much less expensive international rates. I won't lie, the signal was weak, I had to be on deck on the land side of the ship, and it sometimes took a few tries to get the call through, but once connected I was able to complete my 1-2 minute call without issue.

Do not use your cell phone while aboard ship unless you are docked in port.

While underway you would be using Cellular at Sea which is not your plan's carrier so will have a per minute charge,

We have Verizon nation plan and had no trouble with cell reception in any of the Alaska ports: Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Homer, Skagway. There was no charge for our calls made from those ports. There was a $2.49 per minute charge for one call we made while leaving a port since being underway we were now on Cellular at Sea carrier.