Comparing our recent Celebrity and HAL cruises

Cruising-along

Before the cruise? We have reserved specific tables and waiters during every cruise with HAL, but I didn't know HAL has the option of reserving before the cruise like I did with Celebrity.

You can call to reserve time as soon as you get on the ship... you can only reserve up to three days in advance. So in other words, you have to call every few days to reserve another block of nights.

How were the outdoor spaces on Infinity?

(The deck plans look like most public space is indoors and relegated to bars or restaurants- not what interests us).

I understand there is no wrap around deck, but can you go out on the bow and what outdoor spaces are there for scenic cruising?

I found a shorter version of Antarctica that DH may be able to say yes to. But if one has few options for outside I think it would be a big "no."

Veendam, with her many public outdoor decks and viewing places was perfect.

We did the Antarctica cruise on the Infinity. We had great viewing on the main deck and from our aft balcony. We just did an Alaska cruise on the Westerdam and I loved gowing out on the bow for viewing. I am pretty sure you they open the helipad on the Infinity for viewing as well. Antarctica is wonderful.

You can call to reserve time as soon as you get on the ship... you can only reserve up to three days in advance. So in other words, you have to call every few days to reserve another block of nights.

Right, this is exactly what we have done on every HAL cruise since Open Dining started. :)

But on Celebrity you can go online weeks before the cruise starts and reserve a table in the MDR for a certain night if you wish.

We did the Antarctica cruise on the Infinity. We had great viewing on the main deck and from our aft balcony. We just did an Alaska cruise on the Westerdam and I loved gowing out on the bow for viewing. I am pretty sure you they open the helipad on the Infinity for viewing as well. Antarctica is wonderful.

Awesome, Antarctica is on my bucket list. I agree, we found plenty of outdoor spaces to take in the view, and we didn't have a balcony this cruise.

It's my experience that on the S-class ships HAL will only allow open dining reservations for 5:15 - 5:45, and similarly for 30 minutes later on (7:15 - 7:45?), but not for 6pm, 6:30 or other popular times because they can't turn the tables over enough times to make room for everyone. You may come to the MDR door and ask to be seated but you will likely wait for a table to become available.

On our 2 Celebrity cruises we found they had open dining down to a science! m--

Edited by RMLincoln

I don't know about Celebrity, but on HAL, if you wear your bathrobe to one of the Bingo games, you get additional cards.

I would think that for the British isles or the Baltics, it would be very chilly walking to and from the pool in just a bathing suit and that a bathrobe would be necessary to keep warm.

I have heard of that (wear your bathrobe and get additional cards at Bingo). But this wasn't the case on either of these cruises. If there had been many, or at least several people wearing robes I would have wondered if I'd missed the announcement. :D

It was HOT on both cruises, northern Europe was having a heat wave. 85-90 degrees most places much to my disappointment. So no, it was not cold walking from the pool. ;)

Right, this is exactly what we have done on every HAL cruise since Open Dining started. :)

But on Celebrity you can go online weeks before the cruise starts and reserve a table in the MDR for a certain night if you wish.

Thanks! I think DH and I have something to talk about. :)